(Closed) +1 Question

posted 6 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Would you go to the wedding of someone you don't know?
    yes : (34 votes)
    65 %
    no : (18 votes)
    35 %
  • Post # 3
    11356 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

Yes, I would potentially do that, and I actually did go to a wedding of a couple I did not really know as the date of a gentleman who was invited to bring a guest.

However, you are not at all required to accommodate a request by one of your guests to invite an additional guest to your wedding.  Unless this guest you have already invited is married, engaged, or living with a romantic partner, etiquette does not require you to accommodate the additional person.

Post # 5
    2135 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I don’t think that is weird that they want to come. However, based upon your situation, I would probably politely tell them that due to space constraints, you cannot accomodate their +1

Post # 6
    128 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

A +1 of a +1? Absolutely not. You should only plan for your guests to bring one person with them (their SO). Not allowing your guest to bring a date (+1) would be different, but it is still your wedding ( and in your case I don’t think they should come).

Post # 7
    159 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

ok I’ve gone to weddings where I don’t know the bride, nor the groom. However, now that I am engaged and getting a taste of what things cost and having to deal with how many guests and all, I think that if it’s going to be an intimate wedding with just close friends and family, you can politly say that you and your Fiance want an intimate wedding with close friends and family only. Maybe this is too straight forward… IDK; but I do think you have the right to say no, even if it’s just 1 person.

Post # 10
    67 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Haha, well, I have actually told friends of mine that THEY aren’t getting a plus one. I said, “Look, it’s freaking expensive, and I have to cut the list everywhere I can! The only way I could get my friends there was if I cut dates!”

They are all being awesome about it 🙂

I answered yes because I’m engaged, so I would go for him

Post # 12
    2712 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I’ve been to several weddings as a date where I don’t know the bride nor the groom.

However, you don’t have to give +1’s to +1’s.  That’s just weird.  Who asks that?

Post # 13
    172 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I’m in this situation too. We are having a super small reception (close family and bridal party only), but the significant others of the bridal party are invited, which is admittedly not many. One of my girl’s boyfriend is also a groomsmen, and one of my girl’s boyfriend will be invited. FH’s 2 sisters are single, and so that leaves my Maid/Matron of Honor. She is my closest cousin, practically a sister, and she asked me if one of her female friends could come as her “date” (they aren’t lesbian, she just meant her +1). I originally said yes because I felt bad that half the other girls have boyfriends and the other half are sisters. But now I’m realizing that we can’t even invite some of FH’s close cousins, so why should this friend get to come when neither me nor FH hardly know her? I definitely feel your pain. I think you should say no, in a nice way of course, that you have super limited space and you want to make room for closer family.

Post # 14
    67 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Yeah, I have done it in casual settings. I just said, “Hey, I love you guys, but you aren’t getting dates.”

Honestly, the only friends who are, are people who have been in long term relationships. It’s mostly my guy friends, but some of the girls, too.

Post # 15
    159 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@oneovakind:  I completly agree. It is a very importat day for you and your Fiance. If you are inviting them is because they are obviously a very important part of your life and you would love to share that special moment with them. I think that your guests should respect your decision. 

Post # 16
    3303 posts
    Sugar bee

I went to plenty of weddings with my Fiance were I didn’t know anyone but in this case- no, they are being absurd. A plus 1 doesn’t need a plus one and they are rude for asking for one.

The topic ‘+1 Question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors