(Closed) +1 to guests under the age of 18???

posted 4 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 4
2550 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

You don’t need to, but if you can afford to, I’d invite them to bring a friend or a date.

Post # 5
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I don’t believe in +1s for anybody (invite people by name, if they’re not in a serious enough relationship that you know their SO by name, why should you pay for them to bring a random person), and I really don’t believe in them for family. Family for sure knows other people there, they don’t need the security blanket of a date. Sit them together and/or with their parents and they’ll be fine.

Post # 6
906 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I like to give +1s, but when it comes to teenagers I’m on the fence. If you can afford it, sure. Everyone likes to have a friend at a party, particularly one filled with grown up family members. If you can’t afford it, though, I can’t see anyone getting irritated. We’re giving +1s to 18 and over, but not to the high school aged ones. Unless they ask. Then we’ll probably go ahead and say “sure, bring your boyfriend.” Our philosophy is “the more the merrier” when it comes to parties. Plus, at our venue the under-21s are a cheaper rate. By a lot.

Post # 8
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I’m allowing my siblings (12 and 17 at the time of the wedding) to invite a couple of friends. The majority of guests at my wedding will be my age and up or a young child. By allowing them to bring a guest or two, they aren’t the only ones at the wedding in their age group. A 12 year old won’t have much fun at my wedding if the guests are all 22+ and 6 and under. If she has 2 friends her own age there, she’ll have much more fun. I love her and want her to feel comfortable and have fun, so I’m totally fine with having someone I’m not as close to there for her sake.

Post # 9
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

I’m allowing a +1 for under 18. I have my cousins/ family members under 18 and it wouldn’t seem right not to let them have a +1

Post # 10
3574 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

ehh, I wouldn’t do it.  Probably because I am not the biggest fan of teenagers, especially at my wedding.

Post # 11
1755 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Would they normally have this person at a family event?  Is this someone that the family buys gifts for at birthdays and holidays?  This would be my criteria for whether or not to give someone a plus one at pretty much any age.

I had a cousin who dated the same girl from when they were 13 up until they got engaged in college.  She was a regular fixtrure at family events and was always included at weddings etc.  We celebrated her birthday and gave her Christmas gifts every year.  She was part of the family long before she officially was.

Post # 12
10454 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

I won’t be!

The topic ‘+1 to guests under the age of 18???’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors