(Closed) 1 vs 2 photographers

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

We had 2 photographers and it was great, got a lot of different shots and didnt have to worry about rushing photographs. However, one amazing photographer can be better than two average photographers. Just something to keep in mind when thinking about prices!

Post # 4
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

I actally had 2. We hadn’t originally planned on it but our photog, who’s actually a friend of ours, called us a couple of days before the wedding to see if I’d be cool with a 2nd shooter… who’s also another friend of ours… I opted for yes. lol

after getting our pics back I’m REALLY glad that we had our 2nd shooter… b/c well noone can be in 2 places at once… and seeing the shots that our primary photog got and then our 2nd shooter got… I’m SURE there would’ve been shots missed that I had wanted.

I’ve seen bees talk about have another shooter was intruding b/c it was like they were all “up in your face” I guess… BUT I can tell you that I NEVER saw either one of them.. other than when they were talking directly to us and getting a few shots at the reception.

Not sure if it’s an option for you but I’m really happy that we had 2 shooters.

Post # 5
27 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 1991

I agree with  PitBulLover  it really is about quality over quantity. That being said, I had two amazing photographers at my wedding, every picture is beautiful, and there were ton of photos.

Whether you opt for one photographer or two, my advice is to make a “must-take” list of all the moments you want captured. That way your photographer knows exactly what you want.

Post # 7
143 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I haven’t had my wedding yet, but I  think (as PitBulLover and ronze07 pointed out) that the quality is more important. However, I have a friend who is a wedding photographer / sometimes assists one of her former bossess, and she is a huge proponent of two shooters if it’s available in your budget, because it allows for different angles, a greater variety of shots, etc.

Having said all of that – I am sure if you have one you can still get all/most of the shots you want, as long as you are clear about what you would like. 

Post # 8
624 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I am having 2. He sold us when he said that when I’m walking down the aisle, one shot will be of me looking at my fiance, and the other will be at him looking at me, which you would never get with 1. Actually, it was the fiance’s idea to have 2!

Post # 9
399 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@Lauren10.8.11: That’s not always true. You can position yourself at the top of the aisle and get you coming up the aisle and turn to get his face as you walk down. Just one of those things people tell you to convince you to have a second photographer. =)

Post # 10
Hostess
18644 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

We had two but really most of the ones from the second shooter weren’t that great and a lot of them didn’t end up in our pictures that were processed or our book.  My main photographer was the greatest though!

Post # 11
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

Seeing the responses since I posted mine I do have to agree that it really depends on the skill of the photographers.

Both our photog are incredibly talented AND compliment each other very well… even though it’s clear who took what b/c of look & style it’s not like they’re total oppposites.

As for what Lauren 10.8.11 mentioned.. I have to kind of agree. For us both shooters got shots of both Me and Darling Husband as I was coming down the aisle BUT it’s clear that our primary shooter was better positioned for getting me and our 2nd shooter was in better position to get Darling Husband… and THOSE are the shots that we decided to get prints of.

Like I said… after seeing all that was gotten I’m really happy that we had our 2nd shooter come out.

I would definitely want to see the other shooters portfolio to see if their skill level was worth it before deciding though =)

Post # 12
7416 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If budget allows I’d go for two shooters.

Post # 13
219 posts
Helper bee

I think it’s different when the two photographers come from the same studio, but when you have two photographers that don’t know either is can be quite troublesome. Being a photographer myself I have worked at weddings where the brides wanted 2+ photographers and we were getting in eachothers way, not being able to get the shot we wanted, and then the other photographer telling them how to pose when you just want something completely different. I think it takes up way more time when the photographers don’t flow together.

The topic ‘1 vs 2 photographers’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors