(Closed) 1 week of groceries

posted 10 years ago in Home
Post # 30
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
@bakerella: I do that too – buy stuff like chicken breasts and good steak when it’s on sale. And canned goods (What? Black beans are only 50c a can this week? I’ll buy fifteen cans, thanks… Oh, salsa is 60% off for the superbowl? And I’m only allowed to buy 4? I’ll come back tonight for more…) hahaha

Post # 31
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

We go grocery shopping once a month and budget only $200 for it. It turns out to be $50/week (plus extra if we are having a craving for a certain food item, need dog food, etc.) My Fiance works at a department store that has a grocery section so we do all of our shopping there because of the discount we get on the store’s name food. I also write out a list, browse the coupons from the store’s ad and online (like at couponmom.com, coupons.com, etc) and put them all into a small folder. We were able to save $90 in coupons/discounts once! 

Post # 32
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I would say anwhere from $60-$100 a week.

Post # 33
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Fiance travels every week so I only have to shop for myself!  My grocery bill ranges from $60-$80 a week.

Post # 34
4108 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

It’s the two of us plus a roommate (my little brother- he pays us grocery $$ every month), and we’ve managed to keep it under $100 per week, including toiletries, etc. I do the shopping, otherwise it will NOT stay at that amount & we end up w/ a bunch of junk Wink  

Post # 35
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

Wow, I wish ours was as low as some of the Bees. I spend about $120-140 a week on groceries. Produce is SOOO expensive. I wish it was less than $100!

Post # 36
10846 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

View original reply
@ddw: I’m obsessed with the half price chicken breasts! LOL! I also have sworn never to buy toilet paper at full price. DH goes through a roll a day and I can’t afford to keep him stocked at full price! LOL! I get a sick sense of satisfaction when I get toilet paper for 70% off 😉

Post # 37
747 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

we probably spend around $100 if i averaged it out (that’s just food, we don’t usually buy household things like laundry detergent or TP or advil at the grocery store). we have 3 types of trips, 1: quick to just pick up a few things we need that day, usually once a week one of us will stop in for something, 2: the regular weekly shop- we try to stock up on whatever is on sale that week, and buy produce for the wk, 3: the BIG shops, every 6 weeks or so, these get expensive just because we pick up things like protein powder for Fiance, we try to do these at costco (love costco!)

Post # 38
5571 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We do our grocery shopping every 2 weeks because I plan our meals that way. We usually spend $180 on that trip so it would be about $60/week. We also go to Costco every 2 weeks and spend about $60 there but that usually includes more than just groceries. There are 3 people in our household, Fiance, myself and FI’s younger brother.

I’d budget for about $100/week.

Post # 39
10283 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

On a good week we keep it around $150 but when we have to buy cat food, kitty litter or toiletries, we’re closer to $200. We pretty much only buy name brand stuff (FI’s kind of a diva when it comes to that), so if we were to go the generic route, we would probably save a considerable amount.

Post # 40
384 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I’m super neurotic about my grocery spending.  Fiance and I have split the bills in such a way that the less I spend on groceries, the more expendable income I have.  There are three of us (I have a 9 year old daughter).  Fiance likes Slimfast for breakfast, Fiance and I pack our lunches and I cook most nights.  I menu plan once a week and shop the following day for everything we’ll need that week.  My groceries average 120-150 a week, but that includes all food and non-food household goods and the occasional (okay regular) target impulse buy.  When it was just my daughter and I, I did it for 80-100 every two weeks, so 40-50 a week.

Post # 41
5669 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

We go to Costco for all our meats and spend about $400 every two months. Each week I do shop at the local grocery store and spend about $60-$70 dollars. So if you break it down on average we spend about $100-$120 each week.

Post # 42
3525 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I could have sworn I replied to this thread already!

On average we spend about $140 and that includes fun money. But we also tend to buy big box and stuff our freezer as well.

I really love this budget breakdown of your monthly spending!

http://money.msn.com/saving-money/50-30-20-budget.aspx

Post # 43
827 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

It depends on where you live and what you eat.  When we lived in California & Boston we could easily spend $160 a week.  Now that we live in Colorado we spend $60-90 a week, and we haven’t really changed what we eat (just the cost of living is lower here).  We also make mostly everything (90% maybe) from scratch ie: no boxed, frozen things, and we don’t drink soda or buy sweets (except for icecream maybe once a month). Our cart is always full of fresh meat & veggies, the only canned stuff is beans & tomatoe sauce. 

The topic ‘1 week of groceries’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors