1003 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

100-110 every two weeks for two of us.

Post # 61
825 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I am bad…I spend probably $150 a week. I love to cook and try different things and it seems like I always need to go out and get something. Every trip is about $30-40 and I go a few times a week.

Post # 62
822 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

We budget $120 a week.  Sometimes its more sometimes its less but it pretty much always evens out.  We get food and household products together.  

Post # 63
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Interesting thread… I’ve been wondering if our grocery budget was reasonable bc my husband and I both feel like our grocery budget is too big and we should cut back, but it seems pretty much par for the course now. 

Our monthly budget is $350… so $80-$90ish each week. We end up there between a mix of buying at Costco as much as possible, and supplementing with the grocery store for items that don’t make sense to get at Costco (usually Safeway, but also Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods depending on what’s on the menu for the week). We also buy produce, and some of  meat, cheese, and bread at the farmer’s market during the warmer months. About 25%-30% of our groceries are organic bc of Costco  (some things we buy regularly they only sell as organic) and the farmer’s market. I did the coupon thing for a year or so– it turned out that for us it made no sense at all, but it was worth the experiment to find out. 

Post # 64
3 posts
Wannabee

@red_seattle I felt the exact same way!  When we broke down our budget and saw over $400 a month on groceries I thought something has got to change.  Glad to see others are in the same ball park, wish we could be like those who are spending $50-$70 a week, but I think I would have one grumpy husband!

Post # 65
406 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

we go every 2-3 weeks (i eat meals at work and we eat out a lot so dont have a lot of regular groceries) its usually around 200$ when we go.

Post # 66
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2012

About $50-$60 for the 2 of us (in the Boston area).  I cook almost every night and we bring leftovers to work.  So much cheaper than eating out every day.

Post # 67
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I spend on average around $55-80/week, and that covers every single meal for two people for a week (aka, we don’t eat out). But let me tell ya, I plan and budget like crazy. Each weekend i spend a couple hours figuring recipes, lists, coupons, sales, etc. There’s usually cookbooks, the sales ad, books of coupons all over my desk.  It also means I have to cook all the time, which luckily is okay since I’m underemployed (I work around 25 hours/week) and I like to cook. I especially cook a lot of Sundays because I’ll make snacks and breakfast foods for the whole week.

It’s a ton of work, but it works for us because (a) we’re on a super tight budget, (b) we have the time to do it and (c) we’re both losing weight because we’re much more in control of what we eat.

*Edit- I should add that we eat fairly well, too. I could probably get the budget cheaper if we ate more processed stuff but we try really hard to eat fresh, whole foods.

Post # 68
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We spend $120 almost every week.  Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.  We never eat out; even for lunch.  We buy things mostly on sale, but we do ‘splurge’ on some convenience foods. 

Post # 69
2344 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I shop every two weeks after payday and our budget is $150. I will usually end up picking up $20-30 worth of things we run out of like cereal, milk, OJ, and fresh fruit & veggies halfway through that two-week period – so it averages out to about $90 a week. We eat out occasionally, too.

Post # 70
474 posts
Helper bee

between 100 and 175 a week

The topic ‘1 week of groceries’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors