1 year anniversary trip. Where to go?

posted 8 months ago in Travel
Post # 2
477 posts
Helper bee

Maybe visit the Grand Canyon? We wanted to do that, but we ended up doing a cruise 

Post # 3
14939 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Glacier National Park?  Lake Tahoe?  LasVegas/Grand Canyon?  Sedona?

Post # 4
2497 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

If you’ve never seen the leaves changing color in the fall, I highly recommend hitting the north-east coast. It’s spectacular. I went to Virginia and Montreal last October and both were beautiful; cool temps, a bit of rain, but overall moderate temps and perfect for exploring on foot. 

The Great Smokey Mountains are also lovely and peaceful. 

Post # 5
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

I also live in MI! Darling Husband and I visited Charleston, SC for our 1 year anniversary. We had a great time, there’s lots to see and do (and eat!) without it being too hectic, and it’s not too bad for a road trip (driving through TN is very scenic).

Post # 6
458 posts
Helper bee

Maine Maine Maine!! I went for my bachelorette to Portland, ME and my Airbnb host absolutely recommended coming back and exploring outside of Portland for fall colors. Fly into Boston and take the Downeastern train for a relaxing 2-3 hour fall color ride! I would also recommend the train ride from New York to Montreal in the fall if you have time.

Post # 7
461 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2019

If you like gorgeous scenery and good food, I can’t recommend Asheville, NC highly enough! It’s such a fun town, and there’s SO MUCH to do…Biltmore, trail rides, hiking (easy to super hard), driving the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. 

Post # 8
469 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

Ha, my one year anniversary is in October as well and we’ve been considering the Grand Canyon! I’m coming from the west coast though, so definitely a different perspective. 

Post # 9
2076 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

For our 1 year anniversary in October we are going to Japan. But I am guessing you are not looking for something that far this time. For out west, I think Grand Teton National Park is absolutely gorgeous. You can also visit Yellowstone from there. I stayed in this amazing place called Jenny Lake Lodge when I was there.

Post # 10
3376 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2021

New England or Quebec are both great choices for that time of year if you want to see incredible fall colours like one PP mentioned. 

If the mountains are calling though you can’t go wrong with Glacier and Waterton National Parks in Montana and Alberta. Or Banff or Jasper Alberta. I’ve never been anywhere in the states other than Montana, New York (state) and Michigan so can’t offer any advice on other locales. 

Post # 11
405 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2019 - York, ME

I absolutely adore Maine so I’m biased! But check out Portland, ME, Olgonquit, ME, Rockport, MA, or Portsmouth, New Husband.  All those towns are so picturesque and romantic to me!

We went back East to see the foliage last fall though, and because it was such a hot, dry summer the trees never really changed.  We flew into Rhode Island and drove north to Maine, and never saw the colors.  This was mid-October though, so maybe later in the season it would have been better!

Post # 12
452 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2019

That’s a great time of year to visit the national parks in Utah if you’re interested in that – Byce Canyon, Arches, Zion, etc.

Portland, ME and Burlington, VT are also great little cities!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors