1 year engagement or 1.5 year engagement?

posted 3 years ago in Engagement
Post # 2
3553 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I was only engaged for 10 months. 

It’s possible to plan a wedding in a matter of weeks if you have to, but you will have to compromise on something. 

We married in London so had to go for a Friday wedding to get the venue we wanted. 

Post # 3
792 posts
Busy bee

We are having a one year engagement and I haven’t felt rushed on anything. I personally wouldn’t want to know as many specifics as you already do, my engagement timing was a surprise and then I had to start at square 1 to figure everything out. But, if you like having everything planned out, I don’t see why you can’t already have at least your venue selected, then you can just book the date as soon as you’re engaged and continue with the rest of the planning.

Post # 4
1676 posts
Bumble bee

I hired a wedding planner, booked the venue and bought my dress before I was engaged. If your boyfriend is okay with this and you for sure know you’ll get engaged, then this might be a good compromise.

Post # 5
2591 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - Valleybrook Country Club

View original reply
youmaysayimadreamer :  I had a year and four months from engagement to wedding. Honestly, the first month we didn’t even do any planning/ A year would have been fine.

Post # 6
1200 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

My engagement is 22 months. It was not for money reasons. It was just a combination of not starting to plan for the first 4 months since we moved into our first house and was so busy and also wanting an outdoor wedding (so a year after we started planning would put us in winter).

I’m super organized so I know I could pull off what I did in a year easily. The only advantage I saw of having the long engagement is having an advantage in booking vendors without worrying about people not being available on our dates. The really desirable dates and affordable-but-very-talented vendors do go fast and start booking over 1.5 years in advanced.

Post # 7
2485 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

I will have a 20 month engagement when we get married next year. Honestly, I could have EASILY planned it in like 6 months. The reason we waited was for #1)me to finish grad school, #2) to save money. Honestly those dates are so far out I don’t know if it’s worth stressing over now. He has over a year to propose at the earliest (end of 2018) and you never know what might change between now and then. 

Post # 8
93 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

My fiance and I will have about a 14 month engagement, and honestly, I think it’s a great amount of time. Right in between one year and a year and a half. I haven’t felt rushed on anything, and we’re at the point now that we’re just nailing down details (we’re getting married in June 2018). We we’re engaged for about 2 months before we started really planning much (besides the date and the church). It’s definitely possible to do in a year, it just depends on how much down time you want to have while you’re planning!

Post # 9
2763 posts
Sugar bee

10 month engagement here too, and I haven’t felt rushed – though I got a lot done in the first month or so just because I wanted to and wanted to ensure finding some of the bigger vendors – venue, photographer – before they booked up. I think even a full 12 months is unnecessary, but it also really depends on the kind of wedding you want. If you’re planning a 200 person affair, you’ll probably want more time to plan than someone like me who wants a smaller wedding. 

Post # 11
5043 posts
Bee Keeper

Also, planning doesn’t happen continuously.  It’s not like an 8 hour job spread over 12 hours means a more leisurely pace.  You probably have a couple months in the beginning where you do a lot of research and planning and decision making and then a whole lot of nothing and then it picks up again a couple months before the wedding.  It isn’t just months on end of continuous work.  Unless you are really indecisive, even taking a year isn’t all that necessary.  Most people I know who take that long do so because they are dead set on a popular venue that books up a year out since many popular wedding venues book up in advance or because they are saving money for it since a lot of people don’t have thousands and thousands just lying around on short notice – it isn’t because the actual work of planning literally takes a full year.

Post # 14
567 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: City, State

We had a 10 month engagement, and it wasn’t stressful or rushed at all. Like a PP, only sacrifice for a shorter engagement was a Friday wedding, when our first preference was Saturday. That didn’t end up being a problem though, and we ran it past our families to ensure they could still be there. We honestly could have done it in less than 6 months if needed.

Post # 15
1191 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

We were engaged 9 months day to day (12.23-9.23) and it was beyond plenty.  We picked our date, evenue, vendors, and ordered my dress within the first month.  After that it was just a lot of waiting around 🤷🏼‍♀️

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors