(Closed) 1 year old as bestman?

posted 5 years ago in Grooms/men
Post # 3
9074 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

That sounds silly to me, but whatever works for you guys.

Post # 4
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think you should definitely include your son, but I really think an adult should be best man. If he can’t choose between his brothers, why not have two best men? I see that sort of thing all the time. His brothers will probably take charge of planning the bachelor party, etc. so they should get the credit as best men.

Post # 5
2287 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Central Park

There won’t be a guarantee he can walk at this point. Someone might have to carry him. What if he gets fussy?

Post # 6
6825 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

1 year old so would not work for being a best man. They may or may not be able to walk. Also they tend to have attention span that is so small.  They can be very unpredictable.  (Said as mother of a 14 month old…)

Post # 7
319 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

AW!! I think this is sweet.  But since he’s so little it might be tough.  What if your maid of honor carried your son down the aisle?  Then she could pass him over to your parents/in laws? 

Post # 8
2488 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

have Maid/Matron of Honor carry him? or MOG?

I personally think if this is what you want do it!

Everyone was against almost every idea/thing that I did at my wedding but its what Darling Husband and I wanted- people are still bashing on it but our family is still chatting about it and they tell us they loved it 🙂

Do what you want.

You can make it work as him being the Best Man! 

Post # 9
14415 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think it sounds odd.  A one year old cannot possibly do any of the traditional best man duties.  He’s not planning the bachelor party, or holding the rings for you, or helping with plan.  He’s a son and baby, not a ‘best friend’ in a best man sense imo.

Post # 13
2488 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@beccanmatt08:  Yes alot of … people in general are rude but when it comes to weddings some people see it as a huge classy event and I don’t think thats how it should be if thats now how you are… It should be about  who you two together as a couple are and what you make.

MY wedding had ALOT of theaterics to it cause I’m a huge show girl.  Most people aren’t into that stuff but we are and we loved it and my family loved it cause they know thats who I am and his famliy loved it beacuse it was us and who we are. Also we are super young and both in college so our wedding was “cheap” I’m pretty sure half the girls on the bee would have threw a fit about my wedding being what they think is awful.

Do what you want with your wedding!  and enjoy every second of it!

Post # 14
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My cousin did this.  Her now husband’s nephew was the best man, carried by his mom (groom’s sister).  In all reality, sister was the best man.

I still think it’s weird, but whatever floats your boat.  Just don’t plan on a 1 year old walking.  Some may, but many may not.  And even those that do may not want to do so down the aisle with everyone watching.

Post # 15
407 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@pinkshoes:  This —> “A one year old cannot possibly do any of the traditional best man duties.  He’s not planning the bachelor party, or holding the rings for you, or helping with plan.” Or organizing the grooms.

Even if you ignore the duties, the position of best man is an adult position. Parents are there to support their kids; how can your baby support your husband?

I can also see it being chaotic: him reaching for his parents, him being cranky, him wanting to get down from the arms of whoever’s holding him, basically him being a normal baby. As the mother of 3 sons, I’ve been there.

If you want to highlight your son, which is definitely understandable, I would do it another way.

The topic ‘1 year old as bestman?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors