(Closed) 1 Year + TTC – Part 19

posted 6 years ago in TTC
Post # 916
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

Do you girls know much about strict Kruger criteria? The information I read is very conflicting – some say its so strict that not many men have over 5-6%, and some say its a good predictor of fertilization and conception potential and low number means poor prognosis. Also criteria was charged few years ago, from over 14% being normal to over 4% being normal. Which one is it? Did your RE say anything about it? It just seems that if only 5% of entire count is normal/able to fertilize (after also taking out all the non-motile ones), that doesn’t leave with much…..So my Dh has 30 mil count, and 43% motility- that leaves roughly 12 mil of motile ones. And 5% of that is normal – so its roughly half million. Out of 30 mil only half million can theoretically get the job done. Is that correct? Lol

Post # 917
4997 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
Feist:  Haha thanks!! I follow you in the charters and 6 month thread too 

Post # 918
394 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

View original reply
RunnerBride13:  Good luck with IUI and TWW πŸ™‚

View original reply
lonsk:  Wow, have fun hun πŸ™‚ Sending lots of wishes and prayers to your SIL.

solnishko1186: I think 30 million is a good sperm count. You see the sperm is divided into 3 categories too. The rapid progressive ones do the main job of fusing with the egg, the middle ones help in the overall routing and then the dormant ones that just help in pushing the speedy ones up the route. The motility is EXCELLENT. It means the rapid progressive ones are great in number and they should do the job. I hope this helps you. My DH had low sperm count and eventual issue with moltility too…the best he could do was 12% motile but eventually his sperm count went past 50 mil or so. Good luck to you.

Post # 919
4997 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
solnishko1186:  I don’t know a whole lot about it, but the cutoff is 4%. I know it sounds crazy, but there have been a lot of studies showing that pregnancy rates are similar for anything over 4%, but reduced below 4%. If you think about it, 99% of sperm don’t even make it to the uterus, so a small amount of sperm are really necessary. That said, even if you have 10% morphology but a super low count, it may not be enough. They say anything over 5 million total motile is good for an IUI, so 12 million total motile with >4% morphology is a really good sample!

AFM, DH woke me up this morning thinking our IUI was today. It was pretty cute! I triggered last night and am pretty excited for tomorrow! I really hope the sample is decent this time, but if it’s really bad, then at least we know we need to move on to IVF w/ICSI. Trying to prepare myself to see the silver lining πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  RunnerBride13.
Post # 920
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
RunnerBride13:  Thx! That is a great explanation πŸ™‚

Something weird is going on….I am on CD 9 (took femara on CD 3-7), and I am still spotting. I usually have 6-7 day AF, with few full days and the rest spotting days, but never this long. So basically, since CD1 when AF came – it still has not stopped. Is it normal to spot for this long on Femara? Anyone had that? I called the clinic and they said they will see what is going on on CD 12 US, but it “might” be normal. I do not like the word “might”. lol. This is our first IUI try, so I am freaking out of the unknown.

Post # 921
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
Rabia:  Thats a great explanation, thank you. 

How are you feeling, any symptoms kick in yet? πŸ™‚

Post # 922
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
RunnerBride13:  Your trigger is coming up, how exciting!! Hope the sample is good and no surprises. Does it fluctuate a lot? Maybe he can come into the clinic to provide few freeze samples as a back-up if fresh one is not good. 

Post # 923
4997 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
solnishko1186:  Thanks! Triggered last night, IUI tomorrow morning. He’s only had one SA, so we don’t know if it fluctuates. If it’s worse than last time, we’ll still do the IUI (it’s covered by insurance), but then I think we’ll skip to IVF w/ICSI after that. 

Post # 925
4997 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
solnishko1186:  The first one was 8 million total motile and 0.5% morphology. Hopefully today is better!

Post # 926
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
RunnerBride13:  8 mil TMC is not bad at all, like you said, need 5 mil or more for IUI πŸ™‚ And morphology from my research is a crapshoot of a parameter…..LOL. FX it is all good, let us know how it went!

Post # 927
4997 posts
Honey bee

We had our first IUI this morning, but it wasn’t so good. DH’s sample had only 2.8 million total motile sperm post-wash, which gives us a whopping 3% of getting pregnant. I’m pretty crushed. We were really hoping that maybe the SA he had in June was a bad sample, or that the vitamins he’s taking may have helped, but it was pretty much the same. They didn’t assess morphology this time, but he only had 0.5% last time and it doesn’t usually change. So very few good sperm. Needless to say, it is very hard to be optimistic right now. And of course we have the next two weeks to decide our next step: try another IUI (covered by insurance, so it’s $150 for all the meds and co-pays) or IVF w/ICSI ($20K, but a 60% of success). This blows.

Post # 928
826 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
RunnerBride13:  I’m so sorry about the IUI. I would probably do a couple more cycles of that since it’s so cheap, then just keep looking forward to the IVF. Good luck!

Post # 929
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
RunnerBride13:  I am sooo sorry! That sucks. I am not an expert on IUI vs. IVF by any means, but with such counts I almost want to say go for IVF/ICSI right away. Yes, IUIs are cheap but you are still spending some money, time and emotional/mental energy of all the dissapointments when it is most likely not going to work. I have read a lot of other boards of women going through IF treatments and a big take away was that almost all were sucessful after IVF/ICSI and said they regretted spending time/money for multiple IUIs and wished they started IVF sooner. But that is hindsight 20/20.

Post # 930
2787 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
lonsk:  Sending you tons of positive vibes for a successful transfer today πŸ™‚

The topic ‘1 Year + TTC – Part 19’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors