(Closed) 1 Year+ TTC Part Fourteen

posted 7 years ago in TTC
Post # 466
7305 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

View original reply
Frohike:  Oh honey, you are not a failure. I really hope the RE on Thursday has a better bedside manner. Also, commenting on my weight would be a capital crime in my marriage, too. I am keenly aware of it already, thankyouverymuch. I’ve been keenly aware of it since I was 7 years old.   

View original reply
Mrs. Jaguar:  You deserve hugs and a long walk with your LO today. That’s a whole lot of needles for so early in the morning. I stay away from most of the TTC and pregnancy threads. They don’t make me happy, so there’s no sense in opening them.

View original reply
CityBearBride:  I’m so sorry it’s still a BFN. Total bummer.

Can I just say that all of this weight talk makes me feel better and worse all at the same time (yes, I know that is an odd statement). I feel better because at least everyone here isn’t an athletic size 6, but worse because it makes me nervous for my consult. My BMI is at 33.7 right now, and I’m hoping I’ll still be a candidate for moving forward with IVF now. I would be heartbroken if they told me to come back once it’s under 30. I would have to lose another 24 pounds to get under 30, and that would take 4-5 months. I know that’s not long, but I’ve been waiting for a baby for 17 months already. I want one NOW! To wait even longer would be sucktastic.

Post # 467
1832 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I can relate to the weight gain ๐Ÿ™  I am not overweight but have gained about 35 lbs in the last 3 years. It’s an uncomfortable, self conscious weight for me but I have NO willpower when it comes to getting it off. I want to lose 10-15lbs And I have to wear a bathing suit in Feb when we go on vacation.

my “grind the gears” comments are coming from a friend pregnant with her third and “only doing it” for her DH, she was satisfied and “complete” with two. Sigh…

Post # 468
1226 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

View original reply
CityBearBride:  I’m sorry about the BFN. ๐Ÿ™ 

View original reply
Mrs. Jaguar:  Sorry you’ve been there too.  Ugh, this is all the worst.  

View original reply
Frohike:  Your posts are hilarious, By The Way.  

I can definitely get on board with this “grinds my gears” theme.  For me it has always been the “just relax” comments.  Now that I’ve had a miscarriage I’m finding a new one…the “well, you’ve been pregnant once so it can happen again!”  We haven’t even told that many people about our miscarriage and about half of them have said this.  Very frustrating since a) it was not easy to get pregnant (7 embryo transfers!), and b) we actually don’t know if we can stay pregnant since we don’t know what caused this miscarriage.  

I’ve also gained a lot of weight with this whole infertility thing… around 25 lbs in the past 3 years despite working out and generally eating pretty healthy. I think the hormones really mess with your metabolism.  I was thin before, so now I’m normal weight.  So for everyone whose doctors (or husbands!) are harrassing them about weight I would tell them to shut it because clearly weight is not the end all and be all.   

Post # 469
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

what grinds my gears?  when people with multiple kids jokingly tell me never to have another.  i get this all the time since we’ve been pretty secretive about our struggles and about the fact that we’re now ttc #2.

ps. i’m with you gals about putting on infertility weight. really, what else can you do when your faced with bfn after bfn besides eat ice cream in your pjs?

Post # 470
2051 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Turtle83:  Yeah, my RE said the same, I ovulate every month, so weight isn’t the issue.  But lose weight so you are healthier blah blah blah blah.

Frohike:  What grinds my gears… oh so many things!  I can’t stand when people ask when we are going to have kids… Like we could just call and order one up or something.  grrrr 

View original reply
thesaurus rex:  Don’t forget the wine and cocktails consumed after BFN! 

Post # 471
Bee
6468 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011 - Sydney, Australia

Oooh! Ooohh! I have another one.<br /><br />

When people imply that I should stop TTC for #2 and ‘just be happy with my daughter’  – are you KIDDING me?

Post # 472
442 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
lovekiss:  aww thanks lady.

today is meeting with RE #2… Just an initial consult, but I’m hoping I gel a little better with his bedside manner. Ill report back!

Post # 473
2051 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
Frohike:  Good luck!!

The period witch showed today.  I have an appt with my RE tomorrow to discuss next steps.  Most likely another IUI.  

Post # 474
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
Frohike:  Good luck with your RE today!

View original reply
CityBearBride:  Ah, sorry to hear the witch showed up.  I’m on CD1 too ๐Ÿ™

Post # 475
442 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
CityBearBride:  
View original reply
MrsBananas:  Thanks ladies! I’m sorry about CD1. Weird because I’m looking forward to mine.

So RE#2 went better-this wasn’t an official first appointment, just a 30 min free consult because the seminar I was supposed to go to was cancelled…but I like him better. He said basically the same stuff, but said it differently, I guess. He just seemed more optimistic, like I wasn’t a bad candidate until proven otherwise but more the opposite.

I go in Tuesday for an official initial with an ultrasound (I think?) and labs to check for everything under the sun, and then I guess I go back on day 3 of my cycle (whenever that is-I’m guessing AF will be next week sometime, but dunno when) for more labs, and then hopefully we have an idea of what’s shakin.

He doesn’t seem bothered by the salpingectomies like the other one was, and in fact said he will double check on the chart to make sure they took the whole tube as he wants it all gone. AND my name was familiar to him when I got into his office because…get this: He LOOKED AT THE RECORDS my OB sent in. Go figure.

So I’m still scared. All these tests for someone with serious white coat syndrome are no fun whatsoever, and I have no idea what can of worms they could open. But at least we’re moving forward.

Post # 476
1830 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Guess it’s time to make it official.

Age (if you care to share): I’m 32, DH is 39.

TTC since: November 2013

TTC Recap: Pregnant on first try in November 2013 with MMC at 8w3d. Second pregnancy after 9 more cycles with BFP this past September. Slow growth on weekly scans finally ended with no heartbeat at 9 weeks last Saturday. D&C was yesterday and we are waiting for karyotype results.

Issues (if any): <br />

None that we are aware of. We saw a RE over the summer and got a full workup with normal results. I actually got pregnant following an HSG. I’ve had the lab tesing for recurrent miscarriage and all was well. I do have Celiacs disease, but my understanding is that it only causes miscarriage if the mom is consuming gluten.

Chart? Over it.

Currently: Waiting for D&C results. Trying to decide what to do next. I have a nagging feeling that RE will push us towards in vitro… because that’s what they do. But I can’t convince myself that it is really necessary or that it will help. I also have a very demanding job and there is just no way I could take off that amount of time from work without getting canned. I was actually hiding my last pregnancy because my company is supposed to be doing some restructuring in January (which means reapplying and getting rehired) and I knew pregnancy was not going towork in my favor. I’m feeling pretty forlorn about thr whole thing.

Supplements/how are you going about your BFP:

Nothing special. 4000 of vitamin D since they tell me mine is low.

When I get my BFP, I’ll celebrate by:

BFPs are kinda meaningless to me now. Mayble I’ll celebrate after getting through the first trimester.

If it’s not this cycle, we’ll: 

We’re on a rest cycle. So I guess I’ll stick to drinking unhealthy amounts of wine.

Since TTC after 12+ cycles (or with IF) issues, is a very different experience than a fertile couple trying in the first month, how do you stay positive and hopeful? <br />

I’m failing at staying positive and hopeful…although I’d love some advice.

And just for fun, what are your holiday plans this year? Are you crafting or making any awesome homemade gifts? Taking any trips?

Nope. Just going to keep up my wallowing.

Post # 477
Bee
6468 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011 - Sydney, Australia

View original reply
GrannyPantiesRock:  I’m so sorry, I was following your story on the pregnancy page, until we bowed out of there again too. Big hugs.

View original reply
Frohike:  Moving forward is great. x

Post # 478
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’ve gained 20 lbs in the last year, and guess what — I’m starting to pop! I had one person who knows about our struggles say to me yesterday that I was looking exceptionally fertile. I posted about this in another thread, but someone in my office emailed my boss to ask if I was pregnant (my boss works out if her home in another state),  My boss then sent me to her inbox to find something (which she never does), and there were a good 5-6 emails with the subject line, “Is 4littlekitties expecting?” at the top of the list. I clicked on one, and it said something to the effect of, “because I don’t want to ask her if she’s just gained weight.” I’m pretty sure my boss was fishing, and it was crappy on so many levels.  Anyhoo, I’m over it.

View original reply
GrannyPantiesRock:  I’m with you on the temping. They’re going to start giving me trigger shots, and unless anyone knows a good reason to keep doing it, I’m asking DH to hide my thermometer. Whatever happens, happens.

View original reply
Frohike:  I’m glad that you found some encouragement. I know that great docs can have terrible bedside manners, and horrible ones can be charming, but having a physician who treats you like a body for a seven-minute appointment can really suck.

Post # 479
2787 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I started spotting so I called my RE to schedule my hysteroscopy next Wednesday, CD 6 or CD7, depending on when I get full AF to count as CD1. I got my letrozole and HcG trigger shot prescription. I’m excited to start my medicated cycle and hoping this will work.

Post # 480
7305 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

View original reply
CityBearBride:  I’m sorry this wasn’t your good luck cycle. Hopefully your RE can offer up some new ideas to help you get your BFP.

View original reply
Frohike:  Yay for connecting better with RE #2. It looks like we will be testing buddies. I completely understand the white coat syndrome issue. I work with a bunch of doctors. I like them as people, but still don’t want anyone putting their hands on me. I was seriously surprised that my Bridal Party wasn’t through the roof when I went today for my consult. I felt so anxious.

View original reply
GrannyPantiesRock:  I saw your thread about your MC, and wanted to express my sympathies. Hopefully you can find some kindred spirits here. I’m new to the thread aand the whole high tech conception thing, and everyone has been wonderful.

View original reply
4littlekitties:  Ugh, that was super creepy of your boss. I’m wondering how long before mine asks me what’s up. I’ve missed 3 days of work in the last 2 weeks for doctor appointments. I’m taking the first appointments available right now because I’m so over wasting time waiting. My boss has got to know that something is up.

View original reply
Turtle83:  FX that this medicated cycle is just what you need to kickstart a healthy pregnancy.

AFM, we met with the RE today to go over everything. It was a 2.5 hour long appointment. We both feel like our brains have been run over by a bus. But it was good. I think our RE has a personality, and we saw hints of it during the appointment when one of us would crack a joke. So I have hope that, over time, we’ll really warm up to her. It’s not that she’s not nice or anything, it’s just that she comes across a bit cool. Anyway, she was fantastic about explaining everything to us, entertaining my 3 (typed) pages of questions, and following-up on things from our patient questionaires. She also looked over my charts and Mr. LK’s labwork from the MFI’s office. We also met with our nurse and the financial counselor while we were there. All in all, it was a good experience. I’m happy to get things rolling.

So tomorrow morning I go in for my CD 3 bloodwork (fasting, yay) and a saline sonogram to get the ball rolling. After that we will schedule an HSG, and Mr. LK and I will need to go for bloodwork (STDs, Hep B, and all that jazz). Then we’ll meet with our RE again to discuss all of the test results and come up with our initial plan for our first IVF cycle. We’re tentatively looking at doing a birth control cycle in January, doing the TESE and mock embryo transfer during that time period, with stims and retrieval for a fresh cycle in February.

We also got info about their flat per cycle costs, discounted costs for a 2 cycle combo deal, and costs for their shared risk program. They said to expect meds to run $5-7k per cycle. From what I’ve read, that med cost seemed a bit high to me. For those who have paid cash for IVF meds, how much did you end up spending per cycle?

The topic ‘1 Year+ TTC Part Fourteen’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors