(Closed) 1 Year+ TTC Part Sixteen

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 571
575 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Turtle83:  Thank you, darling! Did you already test out the hcg? Wondering how long it stays in the system.

AFM, had my first IVF transfer Monday! Today I’m 2dp3dt. I tried not to be excited going to the clinic, because I didn’t want a crushing disappointment of not having anything to transfer. When the nurse called us back and started walking us to the back where the surgical area is is when I got super excited. To recap, we had 7 eggs retrieved, 6 were mature and all 6 fertilized. On day 3, we were left with 4. Our embryos are not the greatest quality, but I will try not to focus too much on that. We transferred 2 8-cell grade 2 and 3+. I can’t stop staring at the pictures! They obviously have fragmentation, but after googling like crazy the last two days I don’t feel too bad about it. Apparantly there are plenty of girls tht have success even with more fragmented embryos. The embryologist had suggested assisted hatching due to the zona being a bit thick, so we went with AH on both embryos. I am a little nervous about that, because there are some risks of the embryos getting damaged, but I trust that they know what they’re doing. Our other two embryos were 7 cell grade 3 and 4 cell grade 3+. Since we have a free FET in our plan, the RE suggested to just freeze those without trying to grow them to blast stage.

Has anyone else done AH on their embies or had issues with less than stellar grade embryos? I’m excited that I’m in the TWW now, but I’m terrified that it won’t work. And it’s only day 2! I have to say that this is probably the worst part of the IVF cycle. I’m trying to stay positive and talk to the little beans in my belly. Yes, crazy, I know. 🙂 

Post # 572
575 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

lonsk:  Not sneaky at all! Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands! Not very familiar with FET cycles yet, so not sure on the answer, but let us know what your nurse says.

Post # 573
1832 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

BalticBee:  Congratulations on being PUPO. FX for a BFP. I stared at the picture of my embryos and talked to them too

Post # 574
4065 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

BalticBee:  FX for you! I hope this is it!

Post # 575
4065 posts
Honey bee

lonsk:  Considering I’m basically going to go with the RE with the shortest waiting time for IUI (since one is a clinic, and one is a hospital, but both would be done in the same hospital, by whichever Dr is on staff, so I can’t see a world where it would make a difference), I vote YES to being sneaky! 

Just wondering, I know a lot of you ladies seem to be doing IVF at this point, was that because IUI didn’t work or wasn’t recommended, or di dyou just choose to bypass it? Our RE recommended 3 cycles with injectibles since we’re unexplained, and quoted us a 40% success rate across the 3. I’m just debating whether we would want to go with 3 or not (I want us to go in with a game plan, especially because if we are going to be doing IVF as soon as this summer we need to be pinching our pennies a bit!). IVF seems to be between 40-48% depending on where I look, based on our age/diagnosis, and I guess I’m just trying to work out whether it’s “worth it”. I hsould qualify that by saying IUI is free (minus the drugs), but IVF would be completely out of pocket where we live.

Post # 576
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

hey ladies.  sorry i’ve been MIA, i’ve been spending my life at the RE. i’m sure you can all relate!  we’re days away from our first retrieval (most likely sat, but slim chance of sun) and i’m really feeling stressed. 

today’s sono showed 20+ follicles and i’m really terrified of ohss (even though i will be closely monitored and triggered with lupron and just a smidge of hcg).  i’ve been reading all of the horror stories on google and i just can’t imagine juggling an awful and lengthy recovery and possible hospitalization, while caring for my toddler.  my husband will be there the day of the retrieval and probably the day after, but then i’m on my own as his work doesn’t allow him much time off. 

smaller stresses include having to do a bowel prep/clear liquid diet the day before ER since they may need to retrieve from my high left ovary abdominally.  and i’m still scared of the upcoming PIO shots. 

any advice from fellow ivf ladies?

Post # 577
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

saratiara2:  to conceive my daughter, we did 3 clomid/iui’s.  we had one bfp, one missed miscarraige at 11 weeks, and then our sweet girl.

for baby #2, after 6 failed clomid/iui’s we have finally moved on to IVF, with our first ER tentatively scheduled for sat. my insurance coverage is pretty good, so financially it wasn’t an issue to exhaust all efforts before moving on. however, i feel like we should’ve taken a break because after all those failed iui’s i was already burnt out before even diving into ivf. after 9 months straight of RE visits, and 11 days of stims, i’m really reaching the meltdown stage. 

if iui’s are free and you’re not in a rush, i would definitely go for all 3.

Post # 578
464 posts
Helper bee

saratiara2:  Still stalking around. FWIW, if my doc gave me a 40% chance across three IUIs and it were free, I’d do that first. That way, if you have to do IVF and pay out of pocket, you’ll know that you did everything you could before spending that money. 

BalticBee:  Congrats on being PUPO! FX for you!

thesaurus_rex:  How do your E2 numbers look? I was worried about it too, but thankfully I didn’t get it. Does your doctor seem concerned? And with you being so close to retrieval, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. If this was day 3 of stims and you had 20, I’d be a little more concerned. And don’t worry about that PIO. It’s easy peasy. I’m on my 5th or 6th week and I only get a painful one every now and then. Make sure to warm the vial under warm water – it thins the oil and makes the injection easier. And wipe the area with an alcohol swab afterwards. I didn’t do this in the beginning and now my right side is itchy. I read that if you get any on the skin, it can start making the area itch.

Post # 579
2787 posts
Sugar bee

lonsk:  Did the nurse get back to you? I hope you can start your FET soon.

nyckitten: When are you going to start testing?? Fingers super crossed for a sticky BFP!

BalticBee:  Yes, I’m testing out the trigger. Today I’m 10 days past trigger and I’m still getting faint lines, I’m using dollar store tests which in my experience have been very sensitive, I once got a faint line when my hcg was less than 10. When are you going to start testing? FX for a BFP!

Post # 580
2787 posts
Sugar bee

saratiara2:  My RE doesn’t recommend me neither IUI nor IVF for my unexplained RPL so I can’t comment on what treatment plan is better, but if I were in your shoes and the IUIs were free, I would do that first and then move to IVF and pay out of pocket. You’re young, your ovarian reserve is normal, so you don’t need to rush. Let us know what you decide.

Post # 581
4065 posts
Honey bee

Turtle83:  I’m leaning towards the 3 rounds of IUI right now. I know we have time, but I’m impatient and want to move on which is why my initial instinct was to jump to IVF. I have my internal timeline of being pregnant by my 30th birthday (October), and then Christmas to contend with, so I feel like i’m racing against the clock here, whih rationally I know is ridiculous. But emotionally I just know how hard the holidays have been without a baby the past two years (the first because we were going to start trying in January and had to push it, and then this year because we weren’t pregnant), and I can’t stand another year of that.

Darling Husband is basically on board with whatever I want to do, because he feels like I’m the one who will have to do all the monitoring, injections, etc, so the final decision gets to be mine. But I know he is leaning towards 3 IUIs.

Also, I’m excited to see what happens for you in the next day or so! Honestly, the still faint lines are giving me hope for you 🙂

Post # 582
464 posts
Helper bee

Turtle83:  FX for those faint lines! I hope they darken tomorrow for you!

Post # 583
1226 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

BalticBee:  FX for you! Hopefully we can try to keep each other sane during this TWW! I’ve had assisted hatching for all of my transfers, but they were all blastocysts (and in my clinics it was considered routine) and I’m not sure how it differs for 3 day embryos.

saratiara2:  We went straight to IVF because IUI wasn’t an option for us because we have MFI and DH’s sperm count was too low for IUI.  Otherwise we probably would have given IUI a shot first. Whether to do IUI vs. IVF depends mainly on how much money it’s worth it to you to have a baby sooner rather than later…IVF is generally the faster route, but more expensive, and also more invasive (more injections for you, an egg retrieval procedure, etc.) which is something else to consider.  

Turtle83:  I’ll probably cave and start testing Sunday, at 5dp5dt.  My official beta is next Thurs at 9dp5dt.  

thesaurus_rex:  Good luck with your ER!  I’ve never heard of having to do an ER intraabdominally before — very interesting.  Sorry that it adds to the stress level with having to do the prep for that.  Hopefully with 20+ follicles your ovaries are big enough that they’ll be able to get to them transvaginally.  As for OHSS, it’s a real thing, but even for ladies with OHSS it’s very rare to have it so badly to need to be hospitalized.  And it sounds like your clinic is doing everything possible to help you avoid it (though interesting that they are still including a bit of HCG — I’ve triggered with just Lupron before and nobody ever said it was a problem).  Anyway, I’ve had 20+ or nearly 20 follicles in all four of my egg retrievals and have only gotten OHSS once, if it’s any consolation (and that was in a case where I had a full HCG trigger).  Just drink lots of fluids (people say sports drinks) and take it easy!  

AFM…this TWW is really c r a w l i n g along.  

Post # 584
2787 posts
Sugar bee

saratiara2:  I think almost everyone here can relate to having internal timelines, but then life happens… I’m glad your Darling Husband is on board with whatever you decide, good luck with your decision! Regarding my tests, I think it’s leftover hcg, it’s just annoying it’s taking so long to leave my system. I just want to find out if it worked or not soon so that I can mentally move on to the next cycle and not let it ruin my birthday on Wednesday, you can notice the trend from my recent posts, I just want to have a nice birthday this year!

Post # 585
2787 posts
Sugar bee

alove2:  Thank you for the good wishes!

nyckitten:  This Sunday! Looking forward to your next POAS update. Fingers super crossed!

The topic ‘1 Year+ TTC Part Sixteen’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors