(Closed) 10 days before wedding and officiant backed out what do i do!?

posted 5 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
3000 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

You could go to the courthouse and still have your small reception afterward

Post # 4
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

That sucks! Why did he back out? If you are having a small wedding you can use an iPod or a laptop.

Post # 6
9614 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

@alishaloo:  What I’d do is ask the officiant who backed out if he knows of a replacement.  Why did he back out, btw?

I’d also check with friends, family, church, etc., to find a last-minute replacement.  Don’t worry too much about the cost, it’s usually pretty low ($50-$100).

Also, trying googling officiants in your area, sometimes people advertise those services.

Good luck!  I hope it works out for you.

Post # 7
5983 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2018

@alishaloo:  no need to get snarky here, depending on what state your in and the laws governing who can be an officiant, you could ask a friend and they can be ordained online for free.  Know any actors?  They do well officiating.

Post # 8
2876 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@alishaloo: one of the guests could do it ? bearing in mind im english and not au fait with the legalities…you can get someone “officalised” (in speech marks because im not certain its a real word) online very quickly cant you? well…providing its a secular wedding. church wedding a bit more tricky

Post # 9
335 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Whoa! 2 k for 2-300 people? Or is 2k just your budget for the ceremony? I would scrimp somewhere else and find the money, you can’t have a wedding without an officiant! I don’t know where you are but here I’m paying $250 with a half hour travel.

Post # 10
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Also try searching Craigslist and posting an ad as well

Also, call your county clerks office to see what it takes if someone can get a 24 license to officiate for you. 

Post # 11
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Do you have a trusted friend who might be willing to get ordained online for you (it’s free)? http://ulc.net/.

Post # 12
3887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

With just 10 days to go, I’d recommend asking a friend to perform the “ceremony” but going to the courthouse the business day before to do the official legal marriage.  I’m not sure what the turn-around time on an online ordaining is, but I’d imagine that 10 days is going to cut it close, and you don’t have a lot of time to prep the volunteer.

Post # 13
3697 posts
Sugar bee

@fishbone:  +1. Get the legalities taken care of at a courthouse ceremony, and then find someone who will stand up and conduct a ceremony for you in front of friends and family.

Post # 15
882 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Does your church just let anyone perform ceremonies there? There is usually a ton of paperwork to go through to have a visiting officiant. If you can—why can’t one of your other friends quickly get ordained? You have 200-300 people to choose from. 

Or what about someone who already works at your church? 

Post # 16
3887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@alishaloo:  Well if the guy was ordained then you wouldn’t need a courthouse wedding, because ordained implies he’s legally allowed to marry people. But that’s all a moot point anyway. If you’re planning to go to the courthouse then I’d just use anyone who is willing to— and confident enough— to lead the ceremony, and drop the legal bits. You can still exchange vows and be introduced as man and wife. And if the person marrying you isn’t legally allowed to perform legally binding weddings then it shouldn’t matter if you go to the courthouse before your ceremony, or after, because the ceremony isn’t legally binding (so it doesn’t matter if you’re already married).

The topic ‘10 days before wedding and officiant backed out what do i do!?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors