10 month old puppy STILL NOT POTTY TRAINED….ugh frustrated…

posted 8 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

i feel your pain. my pup is almost 9.5 months and still marks in the house. he knows the “potty” command and will go when i say outside, but he’ll try to get away with pooping inside once in a while and marks different corners of the house. it’s been a struggle. i know they saw potty training smaller dogs seem to be more difficult but i never imagined we would still be working on it this far along. :/

Post # 4
2607 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

First, what breed do you have?  Some breeds can be more difficult to potty train. 

Secondly, is your dog fixed?  Male dogs especially are prone to “marking” in the house if they aren’t potty trained, but some females do it too.

Is this a new occurance, or is it something she’s never quite gotten the hang of?  Do you have some way for her to let you know she need to go out, (bells on the door for her to ring, or teaching her to sit by the door, or to bark, or to come get you, etc)?  Have you ruled out a medical reason for her soiling?

DO NOT punish your dog if you catch the accident and not her actually in the process of soiling, (it doesn’t sound like you are, which is good).  Dogs associate discipline/reward with what they are doing at the time, so if you find the puddle and scold her while she’s just sitting there, she won’t understand that you’re upset about the puddle and not about her sitting there. 

I would go back to basics with your dog.  If she’s not able to in the same room as you are, she should be crated.  When she is able to be in the room with you, keep an eye on her so you can watch her for signs of imminent pottying and hurry her outside.  If you catch her in the act, tell her “No!” and rush her outside.  When she goes outside, praise praise praise. 

If she doesn’t already have a “potty” word, teach her one.  While she is in the process of ‘going’ outside, put the word you want to call it to the action.  For example, we use “go potty” to mean pee, so while our dog was peeing, we would tell him “Go potty!”  and then “Good boy!  Good potty!” and keep repeating it until he had finished, then give him pets/praise. 

Thoroughly clean your floors with a cleaner like Nature’s Miracle that removes the scent of the accident.  Just because YOU can’t smell it doesn’t mean she can’t, and lingering traces will only encourage her to resoil.  Also, make sure it is a cleaner specifically for this purpose, because some cleaners contain ingredients that smell enough like an accident to encourage them to soil.

Do you feed/water her on a schedule?  If not, it might be a good idea to do so.  When you know when the stuff goes in, you’ll learn when it needs to come out.

Take her out on a schedule, too.  Every two hours if she’s not in the crate.  As she improves, you can increase the time between her potty breaks.

Hopefully these tips will help you out!  We’ve done foster care for several dogs, many of which weren’t 100% reliable.  These tips have worked for almost all of them, so maybe they’ll help you, too.

Post # 5
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

The tips above are great. We would reward outside with a treat for the first few months. Then we weaned him off the treats, only giving them sometimes until none at all. We never punished for going inside because from what I understand the dog only thinks going potty in itself is bad, not because he/she is going inside. Lots of praise and frequent trips outside (and crate training) worked for us. We never took him out of the crate without going outside immediately. As somebody mentioned above, some breeds are much harder to train then others. And the “potty” command outside helps too. My dog (at my mom’s house) still listens when I say “Go Potty” at five years old. Good luck!!!

Post # 6
3162 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

HA 10 months is nothing. My parents’ dog is almost 5 and she is potty trained 100% but she still pees/poops in the house sometimes to spite my parents when they go on vacation and someone else is watching them. She sneaks it during the night despite the fact that she is taken out every night before bed and we makes sure she does #1 AND #2. When she gets cranky, she goes rogue. It would be funny if it wasn’t so gross to clean. 

Post # 7
1757 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Wow – I was all set to jump in and offer suggestions until I saw Miss Apricot had covered literally everything I was going to say. She knows what she’s talking about!

Post # 8
333 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

We are having this problem with a 2 year old female lab we recently adopted.  She is crate trained but she is not understanding that she needs to go outside.

Our other dog who is 3 was potty trained pretty easily but he was never crate trained. 

Post # 9
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

Miss Apricot gave you some GREAT suggestions! The only other thing I would add, is that what we did to teach our dogs how to “ask” to go outside, is anytime they went near the door for ANY reason, they would go outside. Even if they just happened to walk past it and pause for a second. Go to the door, go out. No matter what. It can get really annoying for you, especially if they like to hang out by the door, but soon they realize that if you go to the door, you get to go outside to go potty. Within a couple of weeks of getting him, my puppy would go to the door and sit and patiently wait for us to come take him out! 

Post # 10
464 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Miss Apricot’s suggestions are great! I’m not sure if it has anything different (I didn’t read the entire article), but I really like Dr. Sophia Yin’s dog training information, so maybe you should check out her potty training info.

Post # 12
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

I would recommend you purchase a blacklight.  Turn out all the lights (at night) and use the blacklight to find all the piddle spots.  Then SATURATE them with Nature’s Miracle.  Do not sop it back up, allow it to air dry on its own!  We had thought we “got it all” too but then when we used a blacklight we found a bunch of peepee paw prints.  *facepalm*

We kept the dog on a 5 foot “leash” until the spots all dried (took about 3 days).  We never let him be more than 5 feet from us, he had to follow us all the time.  You could use a physical leash if you want, but we just verbally instructed him to come, and carried treats all the time.

Post # 13
156 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

From personal experience, it the human you have to train not the dog. My Dog is now almost 6 and since he was 6 months old, he hasn’t had an accident in the house. 

Every hour on the hour I would stop what I was doing and took him out to go to the bathroom. (except at night, when he was in his crate). I did this on a leash, so he understood it was “potty” time not play time. If he went “potty” then he got a treat. I would give him 10 minutes to go potty. If he didn’t go, I would have him go in his crate until the next hour came up, then take him out again. he quickly learned (or I learned to keep him on a bit of a schedule) and once he understood that he could only play if he went potty we haven’t had any accidents. I now have a huge fenced in back yard and he will jump up and down when he has to go potty, so I just leave the door cracked and when he needs to go, he just goes outside. 

I hope this helps.Oh, I have a yorkie.

Post # 14
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I have a small breed female dog who is very smart, but very stubborn.  It took me a full year to break bad habits she learned during her 4/5 months growing up with an older relative of mine.  I found that keeping her on a strict schedule is the only thing that works.  She likes routine!  I made a potty and food time routine based on my general schedule and made her follow it – if she messed up, then she got crated until it was time for the next part of the routine.  I do not leave her food on the floor all day (I do leave her water out always).

If someone decides they are going to “help” me with her routine (*cough* Future Mother-In-Law *cough*) by feeding her at a different time than her schedule normally allows, then she is prone to mess in the house …. generally because I am not around to read her “gotta go potty because my routine was totally messed up” cues.

Also, she hates having accidents in her crate (I leave her in the crate whenever I am not in the house).  This helped out the potty training a lot! 

Post # 15
546 posts
Busy bee

My puppy was trained within two weeks.  The trick is not to let an accident ever happen.  I would take my puppy out about every 1/2 hour during the day.  I would make sure to take him out the same door all the time and I would go outside with him.  When he did poop or pee I made sure to praise him in a squeaky, excited tone.  At night or when we were working we had him in a crate and he never went where he slept.  Never scold a puppy for going in the house.  Just do an action of disgust.

Post # 16
1518 posts
Bumble bee

Ms Apricot has great advice. We had a bichon that is 3 years and has not be neutered- he still tries to mark in the house. However our Great Pyrennes was trained after 2 weeks when he was 2 months old! 

This sounds really silly but they make doggy diapers that velcro around them. We use this on the bichon so he can run around the house and we don’t have to worry about him. 

When training though just make sure they get taken out every hour and reward them when they use the grass.. getting excited and praising them with your voice helps. And obviously if they start acting like they need to go take them out immediately. Using the same place each time helps because they get used to the routine. If they do go in the house make them smell it and say NO!  Then take them to the grass again. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors