(Closed) 10 nights on the Big Island Hawaii

posted 4 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 2
Hostess
1707 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

We loved Volcanoes!  We stayed one night at the Volcano House hotel, and could see the glow of the lava from our room. We also did a long (for me anyway – 11 miles!) hike all around the park and across the crater. It was super hot when we were there and I got very whiny by the end bc I didn’t drink enough water and sweated off some sunscreen and could feel myself burning a bit. So I was really glad that we did the Lava Tubes at the end of the hike. It was a nice place to cool off and get out of the sun. 

Parts of the hike felt like we were in Jurassic Park, so we made lots of dinosaur jokes. 

I don’t really have many tips on where to eat.  We got sandwiches from some tiny little restaurant/deli shack that we stumbled across and did a picnic.  We also ate dinner and breakfast at the Volcano house restaurant.  We were only there for 2 days, because we spent time on the other side of the island and then went to Maui.  

I hope you have the best time! 

Post # 3
2619 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Go to Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park for sure!  That’s one of my favorite places in Hawaii.  I also really liked Pu’ukohola Heiau National Historic Site.

Post # 4
93 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

Congrats on booking your honeymoon! I stayed on the big island with FH in December 2015. The big island is such a wonderful place and Hapuna Beach is gorgeous!

We spent a day driving from the Kona side over to Hilo and stopped at a few points like Waipio Valley and Akaka falls (we actually said our first “I love you” there so it holds a special place in my heart!) We stopped and ate breakfast (loco mocos and macadamia pancakes) at an authentic Hawaiian diner in a one of the little mountain towns (dont remember which one but you can find tons on Yelp) and lunch at a little shack called “What’s shakin” in Pepeekeo. They had such good fruit smoothies. It was really fun to just explore and watch the terrain change. Parts of the big island look more like Montana than Hawaii!

Take a sunset cruise one night. Our biggest regret was not going on the helicopter tour over the lava

Post # 5
93 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

Oh just found the diner! Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea!

Post # 9
Hostess
1707 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

View original reply
mrsfox :  it was just suuuuuper hot. When we were there, it was late August/early Sept and they were having unusually high temperatures. Plus, when you go across the crater, it’s almost like a giant parking lot because it’s all solidified lava so it holds heat and reflects it back up onto the sweaty brides hiking across. 🔥

The topic ‘10 nights on the Big Island Hawaii’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors