1. I’m adopted by my aunt. My biological mother was diagnosed with cancer while she was carrying me, and her sister adopted me. It’s a huge part of my identity.
2. Despite graduating my MA at the top of my class, I have some pretty deep-seated fears about not being smart enough.
3. There has never been a moment in my life where I have been able to do my own hair. If it’s ever looked nice, it’s because it happened that way on its own. Sigh.
4. I am a voracious reader. I will read anything and everything, and have been known to spend days on Wikipedia.
5. I spent every weekend at my grandma’s house growing up, and she lived in a shady part of town that was known for gang activity, arsons and missing kids. Even knowing what I know now, I don’t think I would trade that time growing up there.
6. I’ve been in love twice.
7. I’m one of those people to whom remembering an embarrasing moment from the past is completely and utterly debilitating.
8. When I was 16 I somehow convinced my parents to let me travel (my first time ever) alone (no backup numbers to call, not even a guaranteed hotel room when I got there because we were staying in a hostel) with two older guys that I had met on the internet. As in, I shared a hostel room with them the entire time. Weirdest thing was it was awesome and nothing at all inappropriate (other than it happening at all) happened, hahah.
9. When I was probably 8 or 9 or something I was at my brother’s soccer game and went wandering in the trees, where I found a robin’s egg that had fallen out of a nest. I picked it up and cupped it in my hands to keep it warm, and had these grand delusions about raising it to be my pet and keeping it safe and happy when I tripped on something and crushed it. Ever since then it’s sort of been a subconscious thought that I would be a terrible parent, hahahah.
10. While I’m pretty lax with other people doing it, I would never, ever, ever in my life be late. For some reason I think it’s the rudest thing ever, but when other people do it I don’t really get too upset.