(Closed) 10 weeks and nothing fits!

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Eeek!!  I don’t have any advice or tips as I’m only 5 weeks along myself.  Your situation sounds terrible!!  I am very, very lucky I work from home so I have limited fitted clothes. 

I’m hoping to get by with stretchy pants and loose tops for as long as possible.

Post # 4
1243 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

@sailor:  Awww…. I’m sorry.  

My jeans were the first to go.  I ended up breaking down and buying maternity jeans at 8 weeks.  I was pretty upset about it, to be honest.  The good part: I was comfortable!  I’m now almost 33 weeks and I can still wear the pants, so that was a relief.  I felt superstitious about the first trimester too, but I was really uncomfortable and just had to do something.

One thing that I noticed with my friends who had extensive work wardrobes (I was unemployed when we were TTCing and am now going to be a SAHM), was that the more expensive boutique stores had clothes that were maternity but didn’t look maternity at all (really really nice dress pants, pencil skirts, etc).  The salespeople would fit you for your entire pregnancy, so it a good use of funds, in my opinion.  

The other option would be to get a couple of dresses.  Either way, you’ll be spending money.  I’d go with something that can last.

Post # 6
1243 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

@sailor:  LOL  yeah….I had that happen too.

With your career, I’d imagine that you’d want to go to the nicer stores anyway to get things that look super professional and tailored…I was shocked when shopping with a friend (we were both in corporate HR) that the pants were actually lined at the maternity boutiques, for example.  You still want to look like yourself…just pregnant.

Try to have fun shopping.  I will say this: most maternity stores have the nicest people working for them.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 8
1026 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Yup I wore lots of dresses.  Still wearing ’em.  I stopped fitting in most of my pants by 9-10 weeks.  You can get a bella band.  That helped a bit. But I would get the real one not the knock offs that slip down and are annoying. 

Post # 9
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I am 9 weeks and had to break down this weekend and buy some maternity clothes. The bella band just annoyed me and the hair tie/button hole trick only worked at the beginning of the day. By the end of the day I was even more bloated and the zippers on all my pants dug into me. I was hesitant to buy maternity clothes so early for the same reason as you, but I’m really glad I did. Not only are they suuuuuper comfortable, but I might as well get my money’s worth and wear them for as long as possible.

Post # 10
3295 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

oh i was in maternity pants by 10 weeks too!! no shame in comfort… or breathing comfortably ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
1934 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@sailor:  I was in maternity pants by week 10-11 and no one could tell.  I DO wear dresses most of the time, and I just wore the ones that were looser around the belly until I told people at 12 weeks.  They had no idea.

Post # 12
868 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@sailor:  I second the dresses idea.  I broke down and bought some maternity jeans and dress pants and they are GLORIOUS- I told Darling Husband I’m never wearing normal  pants again:)  But dresses can work until you get your 12 week scan if you’re not wanting to buy anything yet. 

Have you tried a Bella Band? I bought one and it worked pretty well

Post # 13
5670 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I went shopping for maternity clothes at 10 weeks as I also thought it was way too early but I needed to be comfortable. There are so many clothes out there that don’t even look like maternity. I was still able to hide it from my work until 14 weeks even thought I was already wearing maternity clothes. So you are going to buy maternity clothes during your pregnancy. The way I see it is you buy them now and be comfy now and wear them for 30 weeks or you stay uncomfortable for another 5 weeks or so and still buy maternity clothes and wear them for 25 weeks. Either way it’s not like you are saying any money,

Post # 14
5475 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I am so lucky that I wear scrubs to work!  I could probably get through about half my pregnancy before any coworkers even notice ๐Ÿ™‚

I did loop a hair tie through the button on a pair of jean shorts last weekend (they may or may not have already been snug…) and that helped a lot.

Post # 15
1652 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

YES! This is happening to me too! I’m 11 weeks now and for about a month I haven’t been able to zip anything up! ๐Ÿ™ Esp work stuff which is more fitted. I have been wearing loose dresses every day and changing into yoga pants as soon as I’m home. It’s ridiculous, I swear I look about 6 months preg already, am soo bloated!! I am waiting for my scan – should be within the next few weeks and then it’s maternity wardrobe shopping for me!

Post # 16
931 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Yes to all of this. My pants started getting tight around weeks 8-9 because of bloating. I’m a lawyer too and so I went over to Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft and raided their dress selection. Now at 13 weeks have told everyone – they had NO clue.

The topic ‘10 weeks and nothing fits!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors