(Closed) 100 is a small wedding???

posted 8 years ago in South East Asian
Post # 3
304 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Well, my family is Chinese and we are a huge family, and my mom thinks that if my second cousin once removed isn’t invited, it’s weird.  In fact she thinks it’s weird not to invite my uncle’s sister (this would be my uncle by marriage) or her friend’s kids who I don’t know.

I don’t think 50-100 is a small wedding, but I can see why some think it is. 

Post # 4
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I definitely sympathize. My Fiance is Vietnamese, so when I told his family that we wanted to keep the guest list around 125, they laughed in my face. Instead we’re having about 250 (and I got them to cut the list a lot), but since they’re willing to help us with the extra costs I’m okay with it.

Post # 5
999 posts
Busy bee

For Vietnamese people anything under 200 for a wedding is small. Nowadays that is usually the amount of people that may come to the morning ceremonies. But the evening receptions are always huge.

Post # 7
Hostess
16215 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Don’t be concerned. Nothing is wrong with you at all! Don’t let anyone else ever make you feel bad about your special day!

Post # 8
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

we viets somehow think inviting more people = good. in retrospect, i too do not like inviting people i hardly know, just “to show off”. FH and i are having a small weddig, about 75-100 people TOPS; we don’t want it to be such a huge event. i know vietnamese tradition is to invite anyone and everyone, but frankly our budget does not allow us to have that freedom and to be frank, we don’t want to even if we could afford it. our wedding is intimate and we want to hand select the people we want to share it with. 

Post # 9
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

i wish i could have 50-100. My family alone is like 50. I can’t even imagine the response my parents would give me if I said I wasn’t inviting all of my aunts and uncles and cousins. LOL….yea everyone keeps telling me my 150 max is too small since the weddings they usually go to have 400+. For us? NO WAY!!

Post # 11
999 posts
Busy bee

Don’t let them push you into ordering the 100 invitations because there could be a possibility that they say that you have all those extras and that you need to use them all. Just stick to your guns. Good luck.

Post # 12
3871 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

For vietnamese, yes it is a small wedding.  I’m vietnamese and my wedding was 130 and I had give my parents a limit.  I think my sister’s wedding had over 200 people.

Post # 13
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2011

i was at a wedding a few weeks ago, the bride and groom invited about 300 (yeah, 300!!!) but the actual number of guests were like 400 … oh my god!!! it was chaotic!!! 

i’m planning my wedding in Sept and we only want to invite 100 people, and his dad may not be happy with us! well … it’s our wedding, so i think we have the right to make the decision though. we’re vietnamese by the way.

Post # 14
525 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

There’s nothing wrong with you! They feel that way because in that culture (pretty much like mine, Italian) it is assumed that if you invite “few” people it’s because you don’t know any. So they are actually concerned for you.

Post # 15
257 posts
Helper bee

ahha for an asian wedding, 100 is pretty small. my fi and i are both chinese and our guest list is 550.

Post # 16
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

From reading wedding websites and guidebooks they often say 100 persons or less is a “small” or “intimate” wedding. And this is in mainstream America!

The topic ‘100 is a small wedding???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors