(Closed) 100% Photog Prepayment?

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

We paid upfront. I think it was 50% deposit and then 25%, 25% or something like that. In any case, yes it was due about two weeks prior to our wedding.

Post # 4
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Hmm, I can kind of see your point. We paid 50% upfront, with the remainder due upon receipt of our photos.

Post # 5
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

Unfortunately, this is standard practice. They want 50% down as a good faith deposit and then they want to be paid in full two weeks prior to the event to make sure your payment clears.

Post # 6
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I would be upset too.  Our final payment is due when we receive our book of pictures.

Post # 7
195 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I don’t know if it is common or not, but it is the same thing with my photographer.  And she is not cheap either :-  I am thinking of just asking what would happen if I were unhappy?  How is that dealt with after she already has been paid for the job?  I was less worried about it at the time because my first choice photographer was booked and I was getting nervous, so I just booked her, but now I do think about that and wonder.  I do have some great references for mine though so I am not really THAT worried about being unhappy with them, but hey, you never know. . mistakes do happen.  My friend got married and her photog lost the photos of the grooms family.  They were so crushed..  Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I am in the same boat.

Post # 8
1966 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Thats pretty common around here.

Post # 9
3049 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

I paid/pay mine in thirds. So 1/3rd was the down payment. Another third is due a few months after we get our e-pictures back. And the final payment is due like 2 weeks before the wedding. I guess it would make me uneasy as well if I didn’t trust my photographer so much. I stalked her for like 2 years AND she is a friend/acquaintance of mine 🙂

I think all of my payments are pretty much due a few weeks before my wedding. That includes venue, DJ, and something else, cake maybe? And then the others are due the day of (bagpiper and something else). Baha, I dunno 🙂

Post # 10
575 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@kperry3: Twin date!!  

And I’m also paying in thirds, 50% down, 25% 3 months before, and last 25% two weeks before.   But, he’s the best in the area and I hear great things about him from everone.  I also do think it is common.

Post # 11
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

My balance was due 2 weeks before as well. I think its common. I think photographers know that often if they dont get paid up front, they don’t get paid at all. 

Post # 12
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

This is very common! The 50% deposit is to hold your date, from that moment on they tell all prospective clients that your date is booked & that turns business away. Before signing, try google-ing reviews on your photographer. Its typically either 50% deposit & the rest due before the wedding OR its 1/3rd payments (1/3 deposit, 1/3 before wedding, 1/3 either before wedding or before you get prints). Every photographer is different thou.

You don’t want to deal with paying the photographer on your wedding day. Are you going to carry around that much cash? What will the photographer do with all that cash? If you pay by check, the photographer could worry it could bounce (sometimes its hard to keep track of all the checks you write out the day of the wedding). As a photographer, its best to get paid before the wedding. Plus, then we can start editing your photos right after your wedding (vs waiting for the couple to return from their honeymoon).

As a photographer, its very awkward to ask for payment at or after the wedding. One of my friends (a photographer) unfortunately had to do this once, it was very awkward to ask for payment from the bride/groom & they said they didn’t owe them anything! It was a HUGE mis-communication. They never got paid.

Post # 13
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

That is the standard way to do business in the photography world. If you don’t agree with that, I would suggest paying with a credit card so that you have recourse if they don’t give you the pictures or something.

One of my friends is a wedding videographer, and when she was starting out, she let people do the remaining 50% payment after the wedding. After the 5th time she had to take someone to small claims court to get the money, she decided she’d never do that again. I think the liklihood of customers bailing on paying is way higher than the liklihood of the photog not giving you the finished product!

Post # 15
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

I would ask the photog to give you references, and then grill them. I would also ask to see entire weddings they have shot so that you can see the quality from start to finish!

Post # 16
682 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I, too, require 50% to hold the date, and final payment 5 days before the event. I’ve never had anyone have a problem with this. The one time I gave someone a little wiggle room and told her she could pay after the wedding never gave me the payment. Of course, she didn’t get her pictures either but it was a full days work (like 9 am-11pm) with only 1/2 of my pay. And FWIW there is a clause in my contract stating that if the client is not happy I will do my best to rectify the situation including, but not limited to, a refund.

Do you not have to pay your other items before the date? My venue, coordinator, chair/linen rental place and car service requires payment 7 days before event.

The topic ‘100% Photog Prepayment?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors