(Closed) 1000 cranes –Day One

posted 5 years ago in DIY
Post # 3
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

I folded a thousand cranes in 2011.  There was an organization in Seattle that, for every crane they received, would send $2 to Japan for relief after the earthquake/tsunami.  So, with the help of my students, we folded about four hundred to send.  Then we folded the rest of them.  I probably folded about 800 of them, and we did this all in about two months.

Have fun!

Post # 4
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Here are some pictures of them…

Post # 5
1966 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@peachacid:  wow that’s awesome!!!

@wabanzi:  good luck! Def post pics of your progress.  

Post # 6
1607 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

a friend of mine makes paper flowers and did her own wedding plus 1000 cranes (her husband helped as well!) good luck, it took her a few weeks!

Post # 8
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@wabanzi:  They’ll look fine without the blow out. I finished 1,000 cranes a few weeks ago and I made mine from 3×3″ squares so they’re the “traditional” size and they’re very compact. but still cute IMO.

sorry image is so large

Post # 10
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@wabanzi: You’ll need more than a few movies if you end up watching more than folding haha! I watched all of “Drop Dead Diva” and almost all of the “American Dad” episodes then followed up by movies I’d seen before, maybe I’m a slow folder though? 

I ended up doing them assembly line to speed it up though, which was to take unfolded pile and then fold to the diamond, then the narrow diamond, then do the petal fold, then the super-narrow diamond and the final step of wings and tail/head I got much better/faster the more I did of the same type of fold instead of flipping through all the different kinds of folds. You could give it a try with a few and see if it actually speeds it up for you or not πŸ™‚

Post # 12
2685 posts
Sugar bee

@wabanzi:  Wow that is impressive!  It would have taken way longer for me to make that many!  I love the colors and patterns you picked out too.  They’re going to look great on centerpieces.

Post # 13
297 posts
Helper bee

wow! 1001 in a week?! Impressive lady! And agree with PP, I love the patterns you picked

Post # 15
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@wabanzi:  We also folded 1000 of them (and even incorporated them in our STDs)… It was an enjoyable distraction from wedding planning and a bonding experience for us. We actually bought the paper while we were in Japan, so the cranes hold sentimental value as well.

I plan to hang the “crane curtain” during the reception.

The topic ‘1000 cranes –Day One’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors