(Closed) $ 1,000 for wedding invitations !?!?!?

posted 7 years ago in Paper
Post # 17
294 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@housebee:  those look beautiful and professional !!

Post # 18
9290 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

@JAM1982:  i think that is really high. i went to a stationary store to price out invitations, and they quoted me $600 for one designer and $800 for another designer for about 100 invitations.

my friend was designing my invitations for me anyway.  then i went to a printing place to see their price, no design work needed, $900.  crazy.

i used vista print, upgraded all the card stock, and upgraded all the envelopes (needed to anyway since we had to order separate to print return addresses on them.)

total came to $277 for 100 invitivations and envelopes, 100 info cards, 100 rsvp cards and envelopes, and 200 thank you cards. shipping was free

i was very pleased with the quality and compared it to other invitations we have received.

i would absolutely use vistaprint again and again

here is mine, excuse the very black out side line, that was just my poor cutting and pasting.

Post # 19
11268 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@JAM1982:  yes, i agree that the invite is the first impression of the wedding but i personally think that’s a lot of money on something guests are not going to enjoy and will throw out the day after the wedding.  i’d rather allocate that money to the food, drink or even favours.

if you love them and can afford them, get them.  just don’t go in debt over them.

Post # 20
11744 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m on your FI’s side – invitations really set the tone for the event and signal to guests the level of formality and what they should expect.

Post # 21
9090 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Christ! We got 65 invites (Plus RSVPs) for like 250 bucks from Wedding Paper Divas. >_>

There is absolutely no way I’d shell out 1000 bucks for 75 invites.

Post # 22
2440 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@JAM1982:  1k on paper????? I’m not saying your fi is dumb, but I think it is IDIOTIC (industry side) for any paper item that is not in a gallery to cost that much!

If you go to a graphic designer or a lettpress place you can get something equally impressive, for significantly less. You can get something personal and meaningful, and you won’t be getting ganked int he process.

I’m with you. Spending 1k on something you can get for SIGNIFICANTLY LESS (and something that in all likelyhood will be thrown away for the most part) is just a waste of money- and no one is going to give you 1k worth of appreciation for them…

Post # 23
1326 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

That is a LOT of money for invitations. Does your Fiance understand yet how much everything else costs?

Post # 24
4767 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

gag $13.33 for 1.  I think it’s insane, but I guess it depends on your wedding.  I think it needs to be proportional to the wedding.  If it is a backyard wedding with punch, I’d say it is over the top.  A black tie evnt, maybe spot on.  But IMO the invite is one of thoes things that people will not remember and throw away.  Good first impressions can be made for far less IMO.

Post # 25
585 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Personally, for me 1k is a lot to spend on 75 invites (that’s 13.33 per invite!). 

But as with anything, if it’s important to you (or FI) then it’s worth it.  Sounds like it’s really important to him, and he’s willing to pay for the extra cost. It’s all about the compermise.

Post # 26
3563 posts
Sugar bee

It’s just not worth that to me.  Of course, I want my invites to be nice, but honestly, I’m pretty sure every invite I’ve ever gotten was opened, looked at, date/time/venue was marked on my calender, RSVP sent and the invite was either thrown away or eventually thrown away. 

However, it’s all about what you want/are able to afford to do.  If you love it, go for it. 

Post # 27
4028 posts
Honey bee

I agree that the design and style of an invitation can set the mood of your wedding and give guests an idea of what it will be like. However, I do not think it is necessary or worth it it to spend $1000 on invitations (that most people will throw away). You can create beautiful, elegant invitations for much, much less and still impress your guests.

Besides, if someone wasn’t excited or was disappointed to receive an invite that was “less expensive,” then I would question their attendance at my wedding. 

Post # 28
182 posts
Blushing bee

I was a little shocked at the cost of invitations, and though I liked some of the higher end ones, I ended up using an ETSY vendor for hand made invitations, and it was MUCH cheaper, not to mention they look (and are, really) like alot of thought and time and effort went into them and I think our guests will really love them. I thought it was too much money to put towards invitations when I know, myself, I just look at them and RSVP and stash them away for weddings that I am attending. So, it didnt seem like a justified expense on my end.

Post # 30
184 posts
Blushing bee

Just remember that for most people, that invite will end up in the trash! It would be like throwing away $13.33 each time! That’s so painful. Even if you guys make good money, throwing $1,000 into invites is a little crazy. Save that for your honeymoon or something! I agree that the invite is your first impression of a wedding, but I think you guys should shop around for a better price. 

Post # 31
9823 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

What’s the budget for your wedding?  If you’re having a very formal (expensive) wedding then I think most expensive invitations are what you should go for (over VistaPrint, etc).  If it’s a normal traditional, semi-formal type of wedding I think you don’t need to spend that much.  I spent about $450 on 100 invites (invite, rsvp, info card, directions card, envelopes) and I thought that was crazy.  Ugh, love them though! 

I would have loved letterpress but it wasn’t worth it to me.

The topic ‘$ 1,000 for wedding invitations !?!?!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors