(Closed) 10,000ish dollar brides

posted 9 years ago in Money
Post # 3
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

That’s me! We’re having between 60-80 people and are doing it for 10K. We’re having a restaurant reception, the min. bill at the restaurant is $3800 and we’ll struggle to get there. We’re having an ipod reception because dancing isn’t super important to us… My dress budget was under 1K and I spent 900. We’re DIY-ing flowers for the most part (except bouquets), and my mom has a wedding cake business so she’s doing our cake (that helps a lot). We also booked a photographer who is just starting out so his prices were low.

Hope this helps!

Post # 4
972 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

$8000 here for 80 guests! We ditched open bar all night and got good deals on dj and photographer, our split menu of lemon chicken and roast beef will be served family style too, we originally had 100 guests but had to cut down the list and by cutting it down, it will pay for our honeymoon

Post # 5
2634 posts
Sugar bee

We’re trying to keep it under 8k, but it’s looking more and more like it’ll be under 9k. 

We are getting married at one of the city parks so the venue fee is minimal.  We’re keeping the bar choices limited (i.e. NO open bar).  We’re also doing an iPod for music.  Flowers are minimal (I’m DIYing the centerpieces).  Find a cheap(er) dress. 

For us the most important thing is photography, so that is where we are splurging.

Here’s a link to my blog to see how it’s all coming together:

http://www.sandiegobudgetbride.blogspot.com

Good luck!

Post # 6
472 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

We’re spending under $10k for almost 100 guests and we started by finding a venue that normally doesn’t cater to weddings (marrying at a yacht club with private beach).  Throwing the title wedding on anything seems to triple the price.  I bought my dress from China off ebay ($126), my veil from an ebay seller ($30), shoes off Amazon ($47), we’re making our own centerpieces ($.69 blue glass cylinder vases with $1 pink gerbera daisies and two blue votives–3 for $1), we’re buying a three tiered wedding cake from our favorite supermarket bakery and getting a sheet cake for the rest (all total $165).  We kept the flowers simple (and from supermarket) doing gerbera daisies for BMs and calla lillies for me, spray rose bouts for the guys (haven’t gotten the quote but she said it should all be under $350).  No favors (we’ll donate to American Cancer Society in honor of my father), no limo (ceremony, reception, and our hotel are all in the same place), and thoughtful instead of expensive gifts for attendents.  Keeping things simple and planning it as though it’s a kick ass party is my best advice!!!

Post # 7
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

We’re doing $7,000 for about 100 invited.  Near Chicago, too, which everyone will have you believe is impossible.  Our main savings were finding an amazing caterer who does not charge “wedding” prices–seriously, her quote (including rentals, servers, etc.) was literally half of what all the well-known caterers were quoting us.  And her reviews are excellent.  I’m loving working with her.

We also decided pretty early on that we did not want a hotel wedding and began looking at less typical locations.  Going outside of the city itself was a must–even park district locations there are ridiculous and tied in to super-expensive caterers.  We found a lot of great options from local park districts and forest preserves around the suburbs and ended up going with an incredible old mansion owned by a forest preserve.  It’s gorgeous, located on beautiful grounds and is dripping with character. We’ll do a lovely daytime wedding with lunch buffet and dancing and be married in an amazing old library with the most beautiful windows and woodwork.

The other major thing was going basic or simply eliminating anything that wasn’t too important to us.  Like a 12-piece letter press invite suite.  I think they’re gorgeous but it was really far down the list of important items to me.  So instead we’re ordering card stock and printing a simple (but meaningful to us) design on a 5×7 card and enclosing them in nice colored envelopes.  Any other info we need to include will just be printed on heavier weight paper and tucked in.  Since our main color scheme is black and white (another easy way to look coordinated without spending a lot), it’s all going to go together nicely and not break the bank.  We’ve kept a lot of things simple like that.

All in all, we’re managing to keep it personal and nice without going overboard or feeling like we HAD to include all these silly little expensive things we didn’t care about.  I highly doubt any of my loved ones are going to judge us because we didn’t spend $10,000.  We seem to have found a happy medium between nice, personal, and reasonable.

Post # 8
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

My fiancee and I have set a 10k budget for 400 guests!! I think we’re going to end up being just over budget (probably in the 12k range), but we’ve been fortunate enough to get some good deals. We’re getting married on a Friday, which has lead us to discounts on the reception hall and DJ…a friend of my family owns a photography studio and is giving us a hellacious deal on pictures…we’re getting a small two-tiered cake to cut and serving our guests sheet cakes from a local bakery (they’ll never know the difference!)…we’re keeping the flowers simple…I bought a sample dress of the rack…and so much more!

It’s a tight budget and I never thought we’d be able to do it, but little by little we’re making it work!

Post # 9
2718 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We’re inviting 200 & hoping to be about $10K. We’re doing a lot by ourselves, and bartering some of our services. We’re having friends do our ceremony-officiating & music. Our reception venue is $400 for 2 days, and we’ll be doing cheaper food. our ceremony venue is $0, and we only have to give a gift to those doing things for us.

Post # 10
4023 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

We are spending about $8k for 100 people. We are doing a lot ourselves though! Our venue is at least 1/2+our budget, so that means minimal everywhere else!!!

My dress was $400. I am ordering our flowers from fifty flowers and making everything ourselves. We are making our own invites with a kit from Micheals. Making our Save-The-Date Cards. Our photographer is a friend with a nice camera = $50 plus film! You just have to be able to budget everything and willing to not do/get everything you want. A lot of DIY too! Good luck!

Post # 11
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We had about 50 people and spent around 4K. We held a restaurant, cocktail-themed reception. There was so much food, we were sending boxes home with people! We had a cash bar (I know, etiquette on this is specific to your region), iPod music and a friend of mine who does amateur photography did our wedding photos as a gift to us. This was a risk, but one that I felt comfortable with taking. I used fiftyflowers.com and did the bridesmaids’ and my boquet. We used tealight and votive candles for centerpieces.

Our best deal was probably on our reception costs. Only $1,600! We’re talking platters of coconut shrimp, chicken skewers, dynamite scallops, flatbread pizzas, bocce balls, etc. I still can’t believe it was so affordable.

It can be done!

Post # 13
3285 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

where are you located?  we spent about $7k on 65 guests in orlando.

Post # 15
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@MissSheva we’re doing $40 a head, but just beer/wine/pop, not open bar.  It’s a luncheon, though, so I’m not too worried about people leaving hungry.  Dinner probably would have been pricier.

Post # 16
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I am doing 12,500 ish for our wedding – wanted it under 10K but just couldn’t do it for 60 guests!

Our per head 89.95 which is all-inclusive comes with linens, chair covers, 4 hour open bar, cocktail reception with alcoholic and non-alcoholic punch and appetizers, 3 course meal (with a dessert we will serve cake as late night), room rental and night for bride and groom at the hotel.

Honestly If we didn’t go with the all-inclusive package I know that we would not be able to stay under 12,500. Good luck and keep searching!

The topic ‘10,000ish dollar brides’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors