(Closed) 100K Expectations….

posted 4 years ago in Money
Post # 31
676 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

minniegrace:  Agreed! Maybe it is a coping mechanism lol …it sure would have saved me a lot of stress in college if I believed I could pay off my $50K in loans in 2 years because I would be making six figures after graduation! 

Post # 32
521 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2016

I mean in all fairness to her, that’s what part of what colleges do. They never really say you’ll have to start by making peanuts and then work your way up. That’s what my FI’s professors and advisors did to him, and when he started applying during his last semester, he was so dissappointed with the salaries they offered him. My professors would tell me the same as well, but I’ve always been very skeptical and looked into it myself (nowhere near what was advertised). We both went to (I’m still at) state universities if that matters. 

Post # 33
590 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

When I graduated with my bachelors degree I had a hard time even finding work in my field, let alone getting an offer making that much money! My first full time job after my BA was making about 30k a year and was not in my field of study but I’m just grateful I was even able to find work – I know tons of people who graduated with a degree my level or higher and can’t even get a fulltime job. I wouldn’t let her attitude get to you though she will get a wake up call when she graduates for sure! 

Post # 34
320 posts
Helper bee

So Wikipedia says only 10.5% of individual adults in the US make over 82.5k per year. I’m not saying that she can’t be in that group. I just feel like she probably isn’t. I would think lawyers, doctors, engineers, and people with other experience but longer careers. 

Post # 35
3523 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2015

Uh, no. The only person I’ve ever met that made six figures right out of school was a lawyer who graduated from a top law school. 

Post # 37
379 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Well I get all my career advise from customers in cell phone stores so….

Post # 38
268 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2019

That’s actually hilarious. One of my best friends joined an HR team in NYC immediately after graduating for a huge investment bank, I’m not exactly sure of what she was making but I’m postive it was under 65k. Also, we graduated in 2012 so I doubt starting salaries have gone up that much.

Post # 39
6877 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Strbuckslvr:  I would have laughed in her face.  She is so out of touch with how it works with starting out in a job/career 

Post # 40
1890 posts
Buzzing bee

You sound like you’re doing great, don’t let her delusional pie-in-the-sky ramblings make you feel insecure. You ARE a business owner, and anyone with any sense knows that business owners come in all different packages. I don’t know anyone who made six figures right out of school, except people from Ivy Leagues who went straight to Wall Street, or people who went right from law school to a corporate firm (so they could start paying back their loans). I had a friend who went to a great school and got a job at a major corporate recruiter in NYC; I think her starting salary was $65k, and we all thought that was terrific. 

Post # 41
5161 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

She doesn’t make any sense: they “take” all her hourly wages because taxes are high? 

Anyway, your friend is delusional. Unless she has some awesome network connections willing to overpay an inexperienced new graduate, she is going to be horrendously disappointed. I met a few people like her when I was in school too, both undergrad and law school. Don’t fret it, life has a way or making things real more than anything you could say.

I know a few people in HR, and none of them started anywhere near 80K, some of them won’t likely even reach that in their careers. Only so many people can be higher management, and there are always more people than jobs available. Your cousin is grossly overestimating her worth, especially in today’s job market/economy.

Post # 42
2925 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

I live in the Chicago area and 2 of my good friends work in HR in mid level management and neither one make $100 K, even with years of experience.

Your cousin is in for a rude awakening. She’ll make more at the cell phone store.

Post # 43
11744 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

let’s face it, she doesn’t know what she doesn’t know, and she doesn’t even know enough to doubt what she thinks she knows. The true sign of immaturity.

try to show compassion but don’t let her make you feel crummy. She’s in for a rude awakening.

Post # 44
373 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

The only people I know that i graduated with in 2013 that cleared 100K coming out were chemical engineers. That’s about it. I make about 70K now in the medical lab field, and that’s only because our field is becoming so short staffed that companies literally can’t afford to lose young talent. 

Post # 45
1653 posts
Bumble bee

She’s delerious, the HR director in my firm makes 120 k and she’s been with the company over 15 years

The topic ‘100K Expectations….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors