(Closed) 100K Expectations….

posted 4 years ago in Money
Post # 61
53 posts
Worker bee

My Brother-In-Law got a 75k job this year with no degree and zero experience. He is about 1.5 years away from finishing his online degree from Arizona State. It’s in software engineering and he lives in the bay area. I feel like HR in chicago is not going to be anywhere near that.

I feel bad for your cousin. School can feel like putting off adulthood so I find that many undergrads play this “and then I’ll immediatly have a fully formed adult life right after college” game. They assume they will have kids like 2 years out and make $$ right away and thats just not true.

Post # 62
5161 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

Out of curiousity, I looked on PayScale, and the salary range for an entry level Human Resource Manager in the U.S. (6,353 individuals reporting) is between approximately $36,000 and $75,000 (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Human_Resources_(HR)_Manager/Salary/580ff244/Entry-Level)

In Chicago (117 individuals reporting) the range for an entry level Human Resources Manager was in between approximately $39,000 to $78,000 (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Human_Resources_(HR)_Manager/Salary/13487e12/Entry-Level-Chicago-IL)

Post # 63
156 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2003

freebread84:  There are lots of big firms in the DC area. My friend got paid $70K to start (and this was about 8 years ago) I remember because I was so jealous. She may have started at a higher level than analyst. She was recruited and had excelleng grades. I do agree that this is not typical though. So unless she is a wiz kid, she should get humble and be prepared to pay her dues! I had to work for about 5 years to get to that salary. LOL. 

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Profile Photo Sirenbee87.
Post # 64
918 posts
Busy bee

I find this type of mindset funny, especially as a soon to be graduate myself (in 2 semesters). I’ll be graduating with an Advertising and Public Relations degree, with a minor in Writing and Rhetoric (because, apparently in the industry I’m favoring, that’s what they want to see). I’m crossing my fingers for a job within my field after graduation-expected pay hasn’t even crossed my mind, as that’s the least of my worries. As a college student, I come across entitled and spoiled students on a daily basis. And while I agree with all of you about my generation, it’s important to consider who LET our generation become so self absorbed. Parents who let their kids believe they’re Gods gift to the world are JUST as big of a problem as the kid. Lazy, uninvolved parents can raise lazy kids. Just a food for thought to consider. I’ve met some awful college students, and after meeting their parents, everything makes sense.    

My S.O will be graduating with a computer engineering degree, and he interned at a top company in California this summer, doing programming and software. Even he’ll be lucky to find a job that’s $50,000 upon graduating, so she’s in for a rude awakening. 

Post # 65
693 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

i work for an insurance broker, we handle lots of emoyer paid basic life insurance, so i see pretty much everyone’s salary. 95% of our clients are NYC clients… the only people in HR making $80-$120K are the department heads for large companies. otherwise, what the HR ‘generalists’ make is usually around 40k give or take… the HR VP’s make in the $60-$70ish range. just recently i saw some new HR employees making 35k. 

your cousin is definitely going to be appalled at her first job offers. 

Post # 68
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2017 - Somewhere in the rocky mountains.

doglover89:  well good luck to you in nursing school! I absolutely LOVE this career path and wouldn’t do anything else. It seriously makes my heart so happy to get to do some of the things I get to do as a nurse =) 

Post # 69
1308 posts
Bumble bee

coknights10:  I’m seriously so happy to hear that.  I’m a financial analyst right now so this is a HUGE switch for me, but after YEARS of being too scared to do it, I’m doing it!  

Post # 70
1066 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: South Lodge. 2nd of Dec 2017

Strbuckslvr:  ohhh bless her, talk to her again six months after graduation and remember bee smile sweetly as her illusions will be shattered by then ……. 

Post # 71
5225 posts
Bee Keeper

Strbuckslvr:  LOL! Reality is going to hit her like a ton of bricks!

Post # 72
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2017 - Somewhere in the rocky mountains.

lamington: LOL!! Oh the nurses are going to make that idiots life a misery during residency… haha. Ya know, cus we’re so uneducated 😛

Post # 73
468 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2016

coknights10:  I know! My mom and sister are nurses and so I found that comment just revolting. It’s always the ones that are straight from school, never worked a day in their life…I think there will be some steep learning curves ahead. 

I should add that I have waitressed for 8 years, so if they think they’re too good for a nurse I wonder what they think about me…

Post # 74
907 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Honestly, who cares? Let her think she’s going to make a million dollars. Is there any skin off of your back? She’ll learn one way or the other. 

I had the opposite situation–I had professors telling me I wasn’t going to make anything out of school so I lowballed during negotiations. One man’s “you won’t make anything” is different from another’s, hahaha. 

The topic ‘100K Expectations….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors