(Closed) 1:00pm ceremony and 6:00 reception???

posted 10 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2008

I personally have found the longer you put between the reception and ceremony the more people decide not to go to the reception.  I was at a wedding and therer was only 2 hours between, and we went shopping and did stuff and then decided we just did not want to go to the reception. I was talking to my wedding planner at church and she said the same thing even if someone RSVP’s they will more then likely go home (if they are in town), go shopping, to happy hour, or what not then just get comfortable with what they are doing and not go. Good luck.

Post # 4
388 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

Definitely agree, the longer the time in between the ceremony & reception, the more likely people will skip one or the other.  Obviously, the people who really need to be there will be at both. 

But for most guests, that is a really long day.  If you factor in getting ready time and travel, they will start at noon which means at least an 8-12 hour day which is a lot to ask of guests (especially ones with kids that require babysitters).

If your heart is set on the two locations and times, just be OK with knowing that not everyone will be at both events.

Post # 5
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

ynichole – I’m in a similar situation.  My ceremony is at 2 and my reception at 6.  They are both at the same location, but I am not entertaining people for the time in between.  I honestly cannot afford to do so.  Most of my guests are local, so they can go home, grab a bite to eat, I dont’ really care. 

Post # 6
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 1996

That is a pretty big block of time inbetween. I’d be tempted to have the reception backwards. What I mean is have it right after the ceremony, but start with cutting the cake, the first dance, etc. and then move into dinner last. You would probably lose some guests before dinner, but you’d end up getting to have a more intimate reception as the night went on.  Or, you could just have an afternoon dessert reception.

Post # 7
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Or seriously consider another date.  We went in with three potential dates, in order to ensure that we could get our venues and vendors to all line up.  If another date doesn’t work, I would second the vote for an afternoon reception – late lunch buffet with cake perhaps.  You can maybe schedule an afterparty for those who want to go drinking and dancing.  It is really not reasonable to expect people to hang out for four hours in their good clothes in between the ceremony and reception, and if they go home, change, mow the lawn and walk the dog, its pretty unlikely that they will then shower and get dressed up for the second time that day for the reception.  If you do decide to go with this, I would definately construct your RSVP cards  with separate entries for ceremony and reception, as I think you will have a lot of guests who will choose to attend one or the other, but not both.

Post # 9
236 posts
Helper bee

Would your venue do a luncheon instead?  4 hours is a really long time betweeen events.  Luncheos are often less expensive because the food is lighter and people drink less.  You could provide a snack later so that the party could last longer or you could use your money to move on to another location for an after party, a club or restaurant with music and perhaps a private area where you could provide some appetizers.

Post # 10
236 posts
Helper bee

You could organize a tour of the area or some other type of event to pass the time in between.  Perhaps a light lunch at a room at the hotel for people to snack on (trays of sandwiches and maybe salad) while they socialize.  This way people are kept engaged witht he other guests and want to continue to spend time with them.

Post # 11
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

If you take the 3:00 option at a different church, and start cocktails at 5:00, that leaves about an hour – part of which will be taken up by the drive…  that is quite a bit more reasonable.  It still leaves your guests at a little bit of a loose end, but I think most people will be willing to tough it out (hang at the church chatting, stop at Starbucks on the way, take a little walk around the grounds at your reception).  I would give that some serious consideration – much more convenient for everyone (including you!)

Post # 13
1061 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

are you in center city, or philly suburbs? i think people can definitely entertain themselves in center city for a few hours…suburbs, not so much. i would have a list of "things that we love to do in philly" that you could give out to your guests (maybe include this in your program?).

Post # 14
94 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Where are you having your ceremony and reception?  I’m getting married in Philly too and I keep going back and forth with my Future Mother-In-Law about the timing of the ceremony and reception.  She doesn’t want any time at all between the ceremony and the reception and I want an hour for pictures without missing my cocktail hour.  I agree with you that people can find plenty of things to do to occupy themsleves in Center City on a saturday afternoon or they can go back to their hotels and take a nap or something.

Post # 15
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2008

I don’t think it will be that bad. Ours will be similar and almost every wedding I’ve been to has had a similar block of time between the wedding and reception. I’m Catholic, so it’s very common to have the ceremony sometime before 2pm and the reception in the evening. For our wedding, I’m planning on suggesting a bar or someplace that people can go hang out if they want, but I’m not going to provide any snacks or anything; I can’t afford it! I know when I was younger, I thought the time between was great because we could go back to the hotel and swim for awhile.

The topic ‘1:00pm ceremony and 6:00 reception???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors