- 4 years ago
- Wedding: October 2016
My cousin had the same thing happen when she was pregnant with her first kid. I can assure you, everything you’re feeling is totally normal given the situation. In her case, the baby ended up being perfectly healthy with no disabilities or anything. Definitely get the test so you don’t have to stress.
I personally would terminate if the foetus screened positive for Down’s so I will be having the NIPT screen done, and if that turns up any sort of risk I’ll have the amnio. Because there is no doubt in my mind that I would terminate, I would need to know with absolute certainty what the risk was.
I’m so so happy to see that I’m not the only one who would decide to terminate if the down syndrome test came back positive (the full one not just the chances one) no one ever says it in real life and if this topic comes up I just keep my mouth shut. I COULD NOT look after a Down syndrome child, I’m so sorry to anyone this offends but I’m just not capable. I have PDA branch autism, Anxiety and am a recovering anorexic (feels like I will have to watch myself for life) and I honestly could not handle it.
I would do the amnio. Then you will know and you can make decisions that are right for you.
Chiming in here. I’m 37 and just found out I’m pregnant. I’ve had two late 2nd trimster losses, so I am also older and (hopefully) having a baby. The prospect of being in the same situation as OP is very scary and I agree with you – it should be about support, not scolding her about the risks she ‘knew she wastaking’ because of her age. The “advice” wouldn’t make me feel better either.
Aww Bee. So scary. I’m 34 and hopefully getting engaged soon but I worry so much about this too. I can say I would def get the amnio. I can also say that a good friend had a baby that got cerebral palsy and this child is pretty disabled. I talked to her a lot about it and she admitted when they first found out she wished the baby wouldn’t have made it. Even the first few months she was a mix of angry, regretful, self pity, and guilt for those emotions. But after more time went by she and her husband fell deeply in love with their child and she told me that she couldn’t imagine her life without this child now. I hope this gives you some small encouragement that you can truly love a baby even if they are disabled. I know it’s so sad and scary though. I totally feel for you and wish you all the best.
I was 39 with my last. Thankfully our odds came out as 1-130.
Personally in your position inwould do the amnio. Yes i would terminate if there was downs but only after an amnio. (Or cvs but you are past that point) i spoke in depth with my genetisist about what we would do if my nipt came out woth bad odds. She reassured me that bad odds doesnt mean a concrete diagnosis. These blood tests take so much into consideration but are never a real diagnosis.
Its been 4 days since you posted. I hope you have a bit more clarity. I hope your amnio goes well. Hold tight mamma its a bumpy ride i hope your results are good.
I’d stop messing around with odds and get the amnio.
OP-Sure have been thinking of you, bee. Hope you will come back and let us know how things went!! Crossing everything I have for a positive, happy update from you 🙂
Thank you bees. Still waiting for results. I saw that my CC was charged so I guess that means they have it and are processing.
Your words and thoughts have helped. </p
I won’t be able to do the amino for a little more than a week yet. That’s why we decided on the Harmony test- hopefully it’s good news and we won’t feel like we have to do further testing
The topic ‘1:13 chance for Down Syndrome. Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.