(Closed) 1:13 chance for Down Syndrome. Advice Please

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 61
1140 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

View original reply
trekstar :  Of course you knew the risks.  We all do (I’m 36 by the way).  But there’s something to be said for waiting to find the RIGHT person before starting your family, even if it takes a little longer than you’d like.  And risks are one thing when discussed abstractly.  They are another thing when your risk is higher than the norm and you start discussing them as a more concrete thing.  I’m glad you had a good discussion with the genetic counselor.  I have everything crossed for you and your husband and some good results.  If it turns out that your NIPT is low risk based on the way you are desribing your results that means that you may have a higher risk of a placental problem so I would definitely ask your OB at that point if you should be on a baby aspirin.  

Post # 62
209 posts
Helper bee

My cousin had the same thing happen when she was pregnant with her first kid.  I can assure you, everything you’re feeling is totally normal given the situation.  In her case, the baby ended up being perfectly healthy with no disabilities or anything.  Definitely get the test so you don’t have to stress.  

Post # 63
1519 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

View original reply
trekstar :  I’m sorry you’re going through this. I believe it really depends on what your decision would be if you had the amnio and it came back positive.

I personally would terminate if the foetus screened positive for Down’s so I will be having the NIPT screen done, and if that turns up any sort of risk I’ll have the amnio. Because there is no doubt in my mind that I would terminate, I would need to know with absolute certainty what the risk was.

Post # 64
1519 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
amanda1988 :  My doctor recommended NIPT and says that she recommends it for women 30+. I’m 29 and a half and she said “close enough”. I’m hoping my insurance will cover it!

Post # 65
702 posts
Busy bee

I’m so so happy to see that I’m not the only one who would decide to terminate if the down syndrome test came back positive (the full one not just the chances one) no one ever says it in real life and if this topic comes up I just keep my mouth shut. I COULD NOT look after a Down syndrome child, I’m so sorry to anyone this offends but I’m just not capable. I have PDA branch autism, Anxiety and am a recovering anorexic (feels like I will have to watch myself for life) and I honestly could not handle it. 

Post # 66
825 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I would do the amnio. Then you will know and you can make decisions that are right for you.

Post # 67
825 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
Westwood : 

Chiming in here. I’m 37 and just found out I’m pregnant. I’ve had two late 2nd trimster losses, so I am also older and (hopefully) having a baby. The prospect of being in the same situation as OP is very scary and I agree with you – it should be about support, not scolding her about the risks she ‘knew she wastaking’ because of her age. The “advice” wouldn’t make me feel better either.

View original reply
megm1099 :  That being said I appreciate that you are just trying to help. 

Post # 68
148 posts
Blushing bee

Aww Bee. So scary. I’m 34 and hopefully getting engaged soon but I worry so much about this too. I can say I would def get the amnio. I can also say that a good friend had a baby that got cerebral palsy and this child is pretty disabled. I talked to her a lot about it and she admitted when they first found out she wished the baby wouldn’t have made it. Even the first few months she was a mix of angry, regretful, self pity, and guilt for those emotions. But after more time went by she and her husband fell deeply in love with their child and she told me that she couldn’t imagine her life without this child now. I hope this gives you some small encouragement that you can truly love a baby even if they are disabled. I know it’s so sad and scary though. I totally feel for you and wish you all the best. 

Post # 69
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2019

I was 39 with my last. Thankfully our odds came out as 1-130. 

Personally in your position inwould do the amnio. Yes i would terminate if there was downs but only after an amnio. (Or cvs but you are past that point) i spoke in depth with my genetisist about what we would do if my nipt came out woth bad odds. She reassured me that bad odds doesnt mean a concrete diagnosis. These blood tests take so much into consideration but are never a real diagnosis. 

Its been 4 days since you posted. I hope you have a bit more clarity. I hope your amnio goes well. Hold tight mamma its a bumpy ride i hope your results are good.

Post # 70
457 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2016

I’d stop messing around with odds and get the amnio. 

Post # 71
1191 posts
Bumble bee

OP-Sure have been thinking of you, bee. Hope you will come back and let us know how things went!! Crossing everything I have for a positive, happy update from you 🙂

Post # 72
68 posts
Worker bee

View original reply
misskate18 :  

I know you are an Aussie Bee too. NIPT is not covered in Oz so you have to pay $425 out of pocket for the harmony test. 

Post # 74
239 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2015 - Swaneset Bay Resort & Country Club

deleted 

Post # 75
1519 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
oneworld :  Thanks for the heads up! 

The topic ‘1:13 chance for Down Syndrome. Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors