(Closed) 1:13 chance for Down Syndrome. Advice Please

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 76
64 posts
Worker bee

Even if the test is positive and you decide not to terminate in the end, knowing for sure in advance will help you prepare for him or her. And if the test is negative, then there is nothing to worry about. I would do the amnio test, I hate having to worry for months not even being sure.

Post # 77
1059 posts
Bumble bee

I chose not to have it with my kids because it wouldn’t matter to me regardless…I wanted my baby no matter what. but I have a friend who was DEVASTATED because they told her her baby had Downs but when he was born they saw that he didn’t have it. Those tests are inaccurate. Not sure the accuracy of the amnio or whether my friend got that one done (I believe it carries risks) , but you have to realize your baby might be absolutely healthy. I DEFINITLEY wouldn’t terminate based on that inaccurate test. My doc asked if I wanted to terminate my pregnancy due to some physically painful complications and I tell you, a beautiful, intelligent, and kind soul would have been missing in this world if I had. 

Post # 78
3933 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

View original reply
greeneyedbee :  the amnio is literally 100% accurate. Well, you have to take into account human error like them mixing up samples at the lab. So 99.4% accurate according to WebMD.

And any decent doctor will not tell you your baby has Down’s unless they are sure, from the result from an amnio or similarly-accurate test. Your friend may have gotten a positive test result from a less-accurate kind of test, but that’s not the same thing as “the baby has Down’s”. The doctor or genetic counselor should explain this so that the mama is not confused by what the results mean, as it sounds like your friend was.

just trying to make sure the info in this thread is accurate, for OP and others in a similar boat. 

Post # 80
396 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
trekstar :  Yay!!! That is fantastic news!!!!

Post # 81
8007 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
trekstar :  Happy for you, Bee. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!!

Post # 82
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

View original reply
trekstar :  That’s great news.  I feel like there are a ton off women who get false high results.   Just doesn’t make sense to me that they don’t replace the screening with the NIPT.  My sister screened high with the routine testing and then had the NIPT done and came back low risk.  She has a healthy baby girl.  I ended up paying out of pocket for the NIPT because she said the wait was so stressful.  Good for your for writing your Minister of Health!

Post # 83
730 posts
Busy bee

Ugh! So happy to see your update 🙂 I didn’t post on here previously because I have a special needs aunt who I love very much and so I take issues like this sensitively although I understand there are a range of opinions on the matter. I’m happy for you that everything turned out beautifully and you can get back to enjoying your pregnancy. Best wishes! 

Post # 84
857 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
trekstar :  Congratulations on your pregnancy and your amazing husband 🙂 Your child is lucky to have you two!

Post # 85
590 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: City, State

I’m happy for you bee!

You have reassured me that forking out for a harmony test next week was the right decision. Uncertainty does my head in!

Post # 86
2618 posts
Sugar bee

I’m so happy you were able to get a much more definitive answer! Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy being completely uneventful.

Post # 87
853 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
andygirl :  The thing with screening tests is if they screen more people in (i.e. give more people high results to start with), then they are definitely going to catch all the people who actually do have high odds. I don’t know if that makes sense the way I phrased it, but it basically reduces the chance that someone is told “you have low odds of having a baby with DS” and then ends up with a baby with DS. Because of that, at the same time it does give a lot of people false high odds. It’s a trade-off.

Re: why not replace the standard screening with NIPT–likely has not happened yet due to the cost. Standard screening is definitely cheaper.

View original reply
trekstar :  Glad you got the reassurance you needed! Hope you have a happy rest of your pregnancy!

Post # 88
982 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 1984

View original reply
trekstar :  Hugs! Such a difficult time – I know because I went through the exact same thing with my youngest who is now a healthy 24 year old. Like you, I was 35, so my doctor recommended the blood test and, of course, the results indicated a high chance of down’s syndrome. 

My husband and I thought long and hard about the situation and, ultimately, we decided to go ahead with genetic counselling and an amniocentesis which, thankfully, was negative. My SIL had a very difficult time getting pregnant (eventually was successful with IVF) and she chose not to have the blood test at all. 

ETA – just read your update! Excellent news x0

Post # 89
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

View original reply
anabee323 :  I’m an MD and understand the rationale behind screening and diagnostic tests.  NIPT is a screening test as well with far superior sensitivity and specificity.  It misses WAY fewer cases than the old screening tests do and has many fewer false positives.  I have friends who had a baby with Downs after having negative screening tests with the older methods.  If there are 2 different screening tests – the old one with an 80% detection rate of Downs and NIPT with >99% detection rate, it makes sense to me to use the more accurate test.  Amnio is a diagnostic test. There are just so many people with false positive screens with the usual testing that it seems to create a lot of unnecessary anxiety and worry.  Health care needs to evolve…

Post # 90
730 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
andygirl :  agree. I work in a lab that does the screening based of markers and Excessive false positives are definitely a thing. It makes me not even want to do one when I’m pregnant because I find the whole thing unreliable and anxiety inducing. You’re bette off paying for the more accurate one if you’re financially able. 

The topic ‘1:13 chance for Down Syndrome. Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors