1:13 chance for Down Syndrome. Advice Please

posted 2 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 91
754 posts
Busy bee

andygirl :  My post wasn’t an attack toward you, and I am a healthcare provider as well. I know that amnio and CVS are diagnostic tests.

And I’m not at all implying that healthcare doesn’t need to evolve or that the traditional screen doesn’t have issues. In fact, I think that everyone should have access to NIPT. Clearly, safer and more accurate (higher sensitivity, lower false positive rate, and higher positive predictive value) testing would benefit everyone.

Your “doesn’t make sense to me that they don’t replace the screening with the NIPT” is explained easily: NIPT is more expensive than the traditional screen. Unfortunately, that’s what it boils down to.

Should it be available to everyone? I think so. But if you live in the US and Canada that’s largely determined by insurance executives and/or the government. So it’s great that OP is writing to her Health Minister–that’s how you effect change in this system.

Post # 92
550 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015 - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

trekstar :  

Weird. I can’t tell if my comment posted. I’ll retype it- sorry if it’s a duplicate. 

I know this is just an anecdote but I hope it helps anyway! My mom and her best friend were both pregnant at the same time and their babies both happened to have a high chance of downs syndrome. My mom’s friend opted to skip the amnioand my mom decided to get one. The amnio told her the baby showed definite markers for downs which freaked her out. In the end, neither my mom’s nor my mom’s friend’s baby ended up actually having downs (this was a plus for me since I was the baby she was pregnant with!) but my mom said she wished she’d never done the amnio because it caused her a ton of extra stress during her pregnancy!

Post # 93
1450 posts
Bumble bee

trekstar :  There are so many things that can make that test have a false positive.  In my case I had large uterine fibroids and a subchorionic hematoma and both can trigger false positive on tests like that which is why we chose not to have them.  I have a happy healthy 9 month old. 

Post # 94
148 posts
Blushing bee

Hoping for good news from you!!

Post # 95
1555 posts
Bumble bee

trekstar :  I missed your update! That is fabulous news. Wishing you a healthy and happy rest of your pregnancy 🙂

Post # 96
148 posts
Blushing bee

Just realized you had posted an update but I missed it. So happy for you!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors