(Closed) $115 too cheap for wedding gift?

posted 8 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 17
914 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I would think $115 is weird, too. It almost looks like you’re paying them back for something from the past. Like that’s the price of a couple of concert tickets and a dinner they might have gifted you 2-3 years ago* lol. I would say do $100 or $125, both of which are generous!

*I am fully aware that I am weird.

Post # 19
9120 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I think that’s really generous, but I know we live in different areas. 

Post # 20
904 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Nope, considering Fiance and I can only afford to spend $30-50 between the two of us!

Post # 21
462 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

In my culture of constantly broke people living paycheck to paycheck. $100 is too much for a gift!

Post # 22
2426 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@hollyberry4:  I think it’s a nice amount, if that’s what you can comfortably afford. It’s a generous gift in my book. 🙂

Post # 23
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@hollyberry4:  don’t second guess at all! that is a completely fine gift!

Post # 24
9129 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@hollyberry4:  Anythng over $20 or $50 is generous.  Brides that only think of gifts covering the guests plates are greedy.  A wedding is not a fundraiser, it’s a celebration and you take your gifts as they come.  Plus, as a bride you have no idea what a guest is comfortable giving financially based on their circumstances; some people can easily give $200 while others struggle to afford $50.  Give what you can comfortably give in your situation and the bride should be happy to get anything.

Post # 25
462 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

View original reply
@beachbride1216:  In the Asian culture, a wedding IS a fundraiser. lol My Asian coworkers were telling me, the average gift for a wedding is AT LEAST $200 to cover their plate AND a profit for the couple to start their life together.

Post # 26
9129 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

View original reply
@raziel1687:  Which is why I would probably respectfully decline an invitation to an Asian wedding.  I can understand and appreciate cultural differences but I can also turn down an invitation and merely send a card with my congratulations.  I am not going into debt or eating spagetti noodles for a month to gift money I cannot afford and if that upsets the bride, then we were never really friends to begin with.

Post # 27
1794 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think that is just fine if you are on a tight budget.  In my area, younger/nonmarried couples usually give $50 to $150 and married/older/well established couples give $200-$400+.  I think giving what you can afford and feel comfortable with is always the way to go!

Post # 28
569 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

mmmm.. over here in sf bay area we are used to $100 per person.. the lowest I have gifted is $150 for me and ex boyfriend when i was still in college… now me and DH will always gift at least $200 at each wedding..

Post # 30
13997 posts
Honey Beekeeper

What Schatzie wrote is typical for my area too. An appropriate gift is voluntary and always based on your relationship with the couple as well as your budget. I wouldn’t do an odd 115. I’d either send a real gift or just go with a round $100.

Post # 31
7650 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

$115 is very generous where I’m from 🙂

The topic ‘$115 too cheap for wedding gift?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors