(Closed) +12 month engagement bees: Did you get the date, venue, etc. you wanted?

posted 7 years ago in Logistics
  • poll:

I had no trouble booking what I wanted

A couple things were already taken, (please specify)

I had to change a lot, (please specify)

• Post # 17
    663 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Our engagement will be 27 months long. We did not book anything until 13 months out, but I would recommend doing it sooner if you can. In the end, we got everything we wanted. I really wanted a photographer who ended up already having our date booked 13 months in advance, but I’m happy with the one we ended up choosing.

I was pissed with one venue because I called about it in February (16 months in advance) and she said that they do not allow booking prior to 1 year in advance and to call back then. I told her I was worried about someone else taking it and she said it’d be fine. Well, I call back 13 months in advance and she told me that our date was booked. I was sooo mad and upset because I did everything I was supposed to. But, she was very apologetic and explained that so many people were already calling about June and was told to go ahead and start booking. I toured that venue and another venue, and I ended up liking the other venue MUCH better anyway, and they had our date open! Having the date we wanted was really important to me.

Our DJ, videographer, and everything else was no problem booking. But, I do not live in a huge city. I live in a medium size city.

Post # 18
    718 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
    @lovelee1:  That’s true being the 13th might throw some people off.  Have you thought about checking to see if any of the venues you have in mind might have a schedule available online?  Our chapel had one and our reception venue offered one right up at our first meeting.  Might be a way to reassure yourself without having to make the committment just yet.

Post # 19
    1299 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

Someone had taken the date we wanted at our venue 23 months out.  Crazy, right? We got our second choice date with no problem.  I wanted to wait until I moved (1 year before the wedding) to start booking other things, but I think we’ll have to do it earlier.  I want to book the most important things (food, photographer, dj) at least 18 months in advance.  We’re getting married near Boston, so I think that greatly affects the availability of vendors.

Post # 20
    10450 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

Started booking things about 18-20 months out. I had no trouble getting what we wanted. I actually had some places tell me to check back later because they didn’t book that far in advance. The vendors we ended up settling had no such booking constraints though, and were all available. 

Post # 21
    3967 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@lovelee1:  We booked the venue 19 months in advance and the date we wanted originally was taken (not a huge issue, we love this venue). Everything else has been easy peasy (photog at 15 months, DJ and florist in the 10-11 month out range)

Post # 22
    322 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014 - Restaurant

That far ahead, I doubt you will have any issues.  We are trying to book for October next year and it seems like EVERYTHING cool is already booked.  We are now looking at Fridays instead of Saturdays, which is cheaper and no big deal.

Post # 23
    486 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

We booked our venue about a 1 1/2 before the wedding.  We knew we wanted early october 2014 but did not have a specific date.  The first venue we looked at that I LOVED and was totally my dream venue only one weekend left in October- but they ended up being too expensive anyway.

We were able to book all of our other vendors pretty seemlessly.  The only vendor we did have trouble finding was an officiant!  Since we aren’t getting married in a church we had to find an officiant/ justice of the peace or something of that sort to come to our venue.  The first 3 I emailed were already booked about 16 months out!  I was shocked!  

We got all of our other vendors booked around 15-16 months out.  I figured I could fill in all the details later but I wanted to get my date set with the vendors I wanted.  I’m so glad I did, because now the pressure is off! 

If you know what you want, there is no use waiting!

Post # 24
    1425 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013 - Rosehill Community Center

I waited wayyyyyy too long to start looking into videographers.  Like, until 6 months before the wedding.  Nothing nice and affordable was still available on our date, so we ended up without one.  And we barely lucked into getting our caterer, we were the last wedding they agreed to do on our date.  But that too was late, like 9 months before the date.  

But from what my photographer said, just because some people didn’t want to get married in 2013, things were easier to book later because there were fewer weddings!  We were able to book her at 11 months out, whereas she had pretty much totally booked up 2014 like by April 2013!  So don’t wait on anything!

Post # 26
    297 posts
    Helper bee

It’s never too early to book. I had nearly all of my vendors booked at 18 months out.

Post # 27
    1156 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@lovelee1:  The only thing that I have changed is the date, which has been pushed back a couple of times.  But as far as venue and vendors are concerned.  I have pretty much got the ones I wanted.  I think it probably depends a lot on the location in which you live, and the time of year.  We choose early spring because we knew that summer would be far busier, and more expensive for a wedding.  And there would be a chance that we would not have such a good selection to choose from.

Post # 28
    1192 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

@lovelee1:  We have about a 15-month engagement. We were able to get everything we wanted, but we did have to make a compromise. I had my heart set on a certain date (my parents’ anniversary) and I knew the proposal was coming so we went on a venue tour about a week after Fiance proposed. We loved the venue immediately, but they already had someone booked for our date. So we picked another day, had lunch in their restaurant to talk about it (and call our priest to make sure he was free), and then booked it. After that we booked everything else pretty quickly because we didn’t want to miss our first choice on something else.

Post # 29
    187 posts
    Blushing bee

My wedding is in exactly a year. I booked my church & venue about 2 months ago, along with my photographer. We are meeting with a DJ/photobooth owner next week. I’m very type A so I did not want to wait to book once I figured out what I wanted. Everything we have booked have been our 1st choice options. When I first contacted my venue, the coordinator was a little surprised to book so early but then, when I talked to her last week, she said someone had requested my date. So I’m glad I did! 

Post # 30
    945 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I got everything but the date I wanted. I was hoping to get married in June but the first available weekend (at my venue of choice) was next weekend. So we had an 18month engagement 

The topic ‘+12 month engagement bees: Did you get the date, venue, etc. you wanted?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors