$120 morganite gold ring a scam?

posted 2 months ago in Rings
Post # 2
433 posts
Helper bee

This ring is rose gold finished, not solid 14k rose gold. Per the listing, it is sterling silver with rose gold plating, which would significantly lower the price compared to a solid gold setting.

I also see in the details the main stone is listed as “simulated” so probably not even morganite, maybe just a peach cz or similar.

Post # 3
6590 posts
Bee Keeper

It’s almost certainly a scam. If you goole search the image, it comes up on like 20 other pages. 

That said, you might get an interesting china made replica of this ring, but it probably wont be 14k, and it probably wont be a real stone. It might still turn out pretty though. 

Post # 4
101 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

looks like it’s an etsy knockoff. Not sure though, I would’t go for it.

Post # 5
410 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2020 - Round Rock, TX

sman :  Just wanted to chime in on the whole “cheaper ring so I don’t get mugged” thing. A mugger isn’t gonna be like “oh, it’s morganite? nevermind!”

they’re gonna see a big ring and assume it’s expennsive and mug whoever is wearing it.  having a cheap/fake ring that’s just as big as the real thing is not gonna prevent mugging/robbery.  

sure, it’s better if you’re just worried about losing it.  but it’s not safer in regards to mugging/stealing.

Post # 7
2645 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

sman :  look on overstock.com, they have a bunch of affordable solid gold morganite rings on there, and id recommend 10k gold, both for durability and affordability

Post # 9
6441 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

As a PP has mentioned, it is NOT 14K gold, and it’s NOT a morganite. For what it is, it is overpriced, if anything.

Post # 10
1161 posts
Bumble bee

After a couple of minutes on ebay, here are two with a lower price point.One 10k and one 14k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-10K-Yellow-Gold-Morganite-Double-Prong-Solitaire-Ladies-Ring-Size-7/163782562697?hash=item2622339389%3Ag%3AKr0AAOSwiTNdMMpC&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-ROSE-GOLD-MORGANITE-DIAMOND-HALO-RING-SZ-7/273802977745?hash=item3fbfede1d1:g:J9UAAOSwpHtcr5Kl

By The Way the seller you are looking at says on the listing that they are located in Jamaica, N.Y. but when you check the Feedback Profile page you can see that they are actually based in India. Many sellers based in India do this. I avoid them.

Post # 11
53 posts
Worker bee

The plating will wear off really fast and it will essentially be a waste of money.

You MAY be able to get a jeweler to replate it but it could cost $60+ and only last a few months.

I’d add the real ring to your homeowner’s/renter’s insurance. The cost will be very VERY miminal. And honestly, if muggings are that common where you live, why would you want to wear a fake ring? A mugger can’t tell it’s fake from a distance and getting mugged would still be traumatic. I would wear a plain band or nothing while walking in unsafe areas at night. Just some thoughts! 

Post # 12
410 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2020 - Round Rock, TX

sman :  ah okay. you had just mentioned mugging so I thought maybe it was a safety concern as well! but in regards to the ring, it seems like a scam to me. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors