(Closed) $1200 for a cake?!?

posted 7 years ago in Food
Post # 3
3295 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@AEMalmostK: i got quoted 1100 for a 4 tier, (4 flavor), fondant cake for 150 people….. needless to say i went elsewhere. that is wayyyyyy too much! we are having another bakery do it for 500 and they deliver it for only 30 dollars! 🙂

Post # 4
1399 posts
Bumble bee

It is maybe a little bit high, it comes out to just over $4 a slice. It depends on your location, but I know here in NY that would be considered low ($7 a slice for nice cake here) Does that include a cutting fee? Would you be willing to do the “fake cake” with just the top tier and a sheet cake in the back? I would definitely call around and ask other bakeries for quotes.

Post # 5
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

wedding cakes are overpriced and most people dont even eat it. I will get separate cake tiers from a bakery and it will cost me under $200  to feed over 200 guests.

Post # 6
685 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Does it include decor, tax, delivery, and add-on? If everything is included and the quote is $1,200 then that’s low (at least for where I live). Where I live, the baker I’ve chosen to do my cake quoted me $5 per piece with butter cream (not fondant). So the cake for 80 peoples + tax, decor, and delivery = $500. Also we want to have fresh black magic roses between the tiers and top, so that’s additional $200. Total comes out about $700.

Post # 7
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Its the ganache.  I wanted ganache and my baker said it is like $2.25 a square of chocolate. So so I had to throw that out.  Ours is $1.50 a slice with whip cream frosting.  Then we are having sheet cake at a $1.00 a slice.  My wedding is big too around 300 people.  See what it is without the ganache.

Post # 8
776 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My cake was around that and it only served 120 people. But then again the Cake Boss made it.  If it had been any other baker I think it would have been cheaper Tongue out

Post # 9
5775 posts
Bee Keeper

I just did the math and my cake works out to 3.60 a slice so your cake is not suuuuper unreasonable. Are you having 275 guests because not everyone is going to have a slice of cake. Another option is to get rid of a tier and have sheet cake in the back.

Post # 10
1883 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

This is sort of off topic, but my cousin’s cake was $10,000. No lie. He married a gazillionare They are divorced now though. lol. But back to the cake-i didn’t eat any, and I have no idea what could have possibly been in it, but I always regret not having a piece. I probably would have shit gold or something.

Post # 11
4137 posts
Honey bee

that price sounds about right unfortunately

Post # 12
5775 posts
Bee Keeper

@flamingred: Was this their cake? haha

Post # 13
3259 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@bells: We are doing the same thing. If your heart isn’t absolutely set on a tiered cake, it will save you tons to order individual cakes and they can be just as beautiful! Ours is everything I could ever have envisioned, and the final cost will be under $300 foe 200 people.

Post # 14
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

Not unreasonable for a professional cake that is multi-tiered, serves 275 and is delivered.

Post # 15
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

i think that is normal for the amount of people you are having. i was quoted $4.00 a slice. I think the national average is $5.00

Post # 16
5993 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

on my caking site we often laugh at the cake muggles (and yes people like OP are called cake muggles) who think $5 per slice is outrageous – you are not just paying for flour, milk and eggs –  you are paying for the artistry, licensing, insurance, time and professionalism as well as the ingredients (and ingredients for 275 people isnt cheap either – try costing it yourself)

The topic ‘$1200 for a cake?!?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors