(Closed) 12/21/12 wedding – still no dress!

posted 6 years ago in December 2012
Post # 3
796 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I think it probably depends on what dress you’re looking for. If you go back to DB, then you might find your dress without having to order. I actually bought mine as a sample on the weddingbee classifieds and couldn’t be happier. It was mailed to me within the week and is not sitting at my seamstress’s studio waiting for alterations Smile

Post # 4
902 posts
Busy bee

Depends on where you buy it from too.  Large retail gown chains can have the dress in sooner than a special order shop ya know?

I am getting married in December and I JUST FINALLY picked out my dress last Thursday at DB and they said 15 weeks to come in (but usually sooner) but that still only gives me 2 months to get alterations done if it comes in right at the 15 week mark!

So yes, I would start shopping now because 6 months is a very short time in some shops to get a dress ordered/in and alterations.

Post # 5
599 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m getting married in September and just got my gown on the weekend…. 🙂

Post # 6
6512 posts
Bee Keeper

@aussiebee:  I’m also a September bride (the day after you!) and I just got mine a month ago.

@BeccaBee83:  I think you’ll be okay hun.  Just start trying dresses on more regularly, and hopepfully you’ll find something you love soon 🙂

Post # 7
48 posts
Newbee

Not sure if this is helpful, but I think it just depends. I ordered mine Easter weekend from Alfred Angelo’s, was told to expect it in 3-5 months, and it arrived two weeks ago.  The whole process seems a little random to me. Good luck–I’m sure you’ll find something great!

Post # 8
30 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2012

i planned the entire wedding (or willl finish planning) in only 5 months!  if you really don’t find anything, you can buy a sample (mine was 80% off and gorgeous), and it will be ready to wear that day.  You don’t actually need (note NEED) so much time to plan a wedding, so i wouldn’t stress just yet!

Note: if you are a size such as a 0, or plus size, a sample probably won’t work, so I would try to order at least by June! 

Post # 9
287 posts
Helper bee

I agree. depends on where you go. I picked mine right off the rack. She’s just sitting in my closet teasing me.

Post # 10
13 posts
Newbee

I’m a december bride i just ordered it in April and the bridal store told me my dress should arrive in august at the lastest. I think you will be fine. i guess the last possible month without doing a rushnorder would be june or july i guess.

Post # 11
21 posts
Newbee

@BeccaBee83- I ordered my DRESS I think April 8, 2012 and it came in by April 15, 2012.  No joke! I was shocked!

I ordered mine from Davids Bridal and absolutely love it.

Post # 13
664 posts
Busy bee

I was at a store over the weekend just looking around and they told me 7 months is the cut off before dresses are considered “rush”

That being said, I placed my gown order at the end of February and it will be here by mid-June.

Post # 14
1087 posts
Bumble bee

I’m a december bride and still have no dress :-(. I will most likely be buying online though due to time constraints.

Post # 15
545 posts
Busy bee

Having worked at a bridal store (carried designers like Maggie Sottero, Alfred Anegelo, Mori Lee, etc) we normally recommended 6 months… Every designer is different and it depends on the ordering. The reason you are told the 5 months, then it comes in after only 3 is because the designers put a buffer in case there are a ton of “rush orders” that happen before, then they will “bump” your dress (I am not sure if I am explaining that well). 

This of course does not take into consideration alterations which may be why some people tell you 7 months. 

If worse comes to worse, you could pay the rush fee if you do not find something! But like PP said, you still have a little bit of time. 

Oh, also if you go to a store and find a dress, I am pretty sure the store can call the “ordering department” of the designer to get an idea of when the estimated date of arrival would be. They would probably only do this once you narrow down to like 1 or 2 dresses. Or if you happen to get the person that does the ordering for the store, she may know right then (I did the ordering for my store, can you tell?)

Post # 16
666 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

You still have time. I just bought my dress like 2 weeks ago and just had an appoinment for alteration today.  I’m getting married in July.  My dress will be done on June 29 :-).

The topic ‘12/21/12 wedding – still no dress!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors