12/29/17 – Too close to the holidays?

posted 3 years ago in Guests
Post # 16
1890 posts
Buzzing bee

Isn’t October in the middle of hurricane season? That could affect travel plans as well.

It sounds like December works better for the majority of your guests. You never know, FI’s family members might actually be excited to travel down to Florida during a cold month.

Post # 19
3332 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

That makes it more tricky – I’m all about trying to accomodate your VIPs! Why doesnt Fiance call them up and say ‘were looking at X date or Y date, and would love to get your opinion on which works better. We will take everyones preferences into consideration and let you know what we decide’ or something like that?

We were looking at June v Sept for our wedding, and while sept is a hassle for some of my friends who are in school or teachers, it worked better for our parents and FIs brother + SIL, so we went with that date instead. But I reached out to everyone and said something similar. Most said something like ‘well we’ll be there either way, but june probably works better if I had to choose’ sort of thing.

Post # 21
13589 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I would not attend an out of state wedding right after Christmas.  I like to be with my family over the holidays and wouldn’t travel elsewhere at the expense of celebrating with my family.  Even if it were local, I’d hesitate on going because we have lots of plans going on with the holidays.  I’d find it to be an inconvenience. 

Post # 22
Hostess
3836 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

harmonicsoul :  I’m personally always out of town during that time, so I probably would not be able to make a holiday wedding.  We had an October wedding (not in either of our hometowns) where nearly everyone had to travel and my friends in grad school still were able to make it.  Between Christmas and New Years on a Friday sounds risky to me – after taking off to see both our families for Christmas, I probably wouldn’t be able to spare a day or two to travel to and attend a Friday wedding.

Post # 23
1691 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

We are getting married this year on 12/17 (weekend before Christmas) with about 70 guests. Nobody has complained just yet. But since mine is before Christmas, a lot of people are excited to be at our venue (Colorado mountains) and having an early holiday! 

The 29th would be rough though because everybody is usually broke and have possibly already traveled for holidays. 

Tough one!

Post # 25
1691 posts
Bumble bee

harmonicsoul :  we’ve been worried because it hasn’t snowed yet! Usually by Halloween, it snows here in Denver and definately in the mountains! I don’t want a blizzard though! 

Post # 26
281 posts
Helper bee

Is there other dates that they could travel? Like during the summer? If not I say do what you want- find out if the people you want the most there could make it that close to the holidays and if so go for it. Just don’t be too disipointed if you get a lot of declines!

Post # 28
4026 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Can you do November instead? The reason I’m asking is there are usually more breaks for thanksgiving and such from schools and also the flights are a bit cheaper around that time.. For instance im from NJ and I booked a flight to go to Florida next weekend, it is costing me about $500 for one plane ticket as opposed to leaving on December 26th, which would have brought my cost to over $800 just for my ticket…

Post # 30
Hostess
3881 posts
Honey bee

We are getting married 12-21-2016. It’s Wednesday. We totally realize a Wednesday 4 days before Christmas is super inconvenient for a lot of people. But the date is incredibly important to us. So we chose to invite only a few people who wouldn’t be put out by attending at such a strange time. So, for us, the date was definitely a hill we were willing to die on. And we’re paying for the whole thing. I guess what I’m saying is there is always the route of simply not inviting people you don’t want to inconvenience… 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors