12/29/17 – Too close to the holidays?

posted 3 years ago in Guests
Post # 31
4028 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

harmonicsoul :  yea, I don’t think November is impossible for most people. The flights are definitely cheaper, a Saturday on thanksgiving weekend for me would be great. I’ve been to a wedding on that date and it didn’t bother me at all.. It was far enough from Christmas where my wallet wasn’t killed just yet.

For me, next weekend coming up is teacher’s convention so our public schools have off for a few days. I think November is a great month to get married, and also the weather is so much cooler than in the summer! Less chance of snow too than right after Christmas…

Post # 34
828 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

Yeah, Unless you’re a super super close friend, A friday in December would be really really tough. Not everyone gets the time between Christmas and New Years off. In fact, in my office, I’m one of the newer less senior people, so I’m often stuck working on those kinds of days/weeks. Other than students, vacation is NOT a given for anyone. 

ETA: That time of year is just expensive to fly no matter what. Sure, it peaks on Christmas Eve, etc, but it’s stil pretty pricey that entire week. Usually at that time of year I’m pinching pennies, recovering from the expense of gift giving. Don’t want to be harsh, but that would be the most inconvenient time for me.

Pick a date that you want and that works for you. Be wary of thinking that you’re doing people favors.  

Post # 35
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider

as a guest, I could make an October weekend wedding happen. mid-Nov – mid-January would be comepletely, 100% out of the question. between work being slammed at that time of year, and having to travel at least two (though usually four) times to see family, my budget would be pretty shot, and I’d be stressed about adding more travel/events into my schedule.

I’d do October, maybe in a different venue if you’re willing to look elsewhere, and maybe in a different state for weather (if that is a concern)

Post # 36
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

Since you say most of the guests are family and local, do they usually spend Christmas together locally? Where do the northern family members usually spend Christmas? If the northerners have a set Christmas plan that they would be hard pressed to deviate from (i.e. they always go to their in-laws’ house or something and it’s important to that side of the family), it might be worth moving. I’d still be hesitant about Thanksgiving weekend – I’d imagine you’d run into the same problems with flight prices and family obligations.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the snow – I’m from a snowy place and while I wouldn’t have scheduled my wedding there for the winter and have everyone fly in, I’d be comfortable taking the chance that it would be snowy – usually it’s just a delay of a few hours or a day, so I’d plan to travel early and make sure I’d get there (the fact that it’s a holiday week would help with that, depending on their vacation time).

Other than the northern family members, how many of your guests would have to deviate from their normal Christmas plans to accommodate your wedding? If it’s only a few, I would say go for it! It’s special to you, most people would be around and off of work anyway, and the rest will make the effort to be there. One thing I’ve been pleasantly surprised by is how many people have made the effort to make sure they can be at my wedding – it’s very humbling! I guess the same could be said for the October date, but I can tell you’d really prefer the December. Ultimately, you have a pretty small guest list, so you should be able to do some sleuthing and see how many would have to miss either way – then you can make an informed decision.

One last thing: see if you can figure out how annoyed your Future In-Laws will be if you stick with December. They probably don’t care too much, but if they would be really upset about it, it’s not worth jeopardizing your relationship with them.

Post # 37
2109 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

If we would have to take time off for the wedding, we would not be able to attend a wedding that close to Christmas. We already take so much time off for the holidays/to travel and see family, we just wouldn’t be able to miss more work. If it was local and we were back in town, we would go. Oh, but I just saw a PP mention that it is a Friday… we definitely wouldn’t be able to go unless it was in our town. 

Post # 38
4036 posts
Honey bee

We married the Friday night after Xmas (in the late 1970s). As far as I remember, there were no to little issue with people getting off work or traveling, as around 225 attended. If you send out StDs, I think you’ll give guests sufficient warning. Some people won’t want to/can’t travel, regardless, or take even a  few hours off work.

Post # 39
2460 posts
Buzzing bee

Even if your friends where in the area during Christmas, I still think it would be very hard for them to make it during the holidays. We have three different Christmas parties that we go to every year and one is always the weekend of new year’s eve so I would most likely not be able to make it, even if I was in town. 

For family in the Midwest, it will be more expensive for them to fly and there is a very good chance their flights will be delayed due to the weather. They will also be needing to take more time away to travel and during the holiday season that could be really rough and more of a headache. 

Yes there are price differences because you are looking at a Saturday wedding versus a Friday wedding.  Friday weddings are always going to be cheaper. 

I personally, would chose the October date. You will have more people showing and if it is on a Saturday I’m sure your friends will try to make it at least. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors