(Closed) 12/30 wedding. What time to do the ceremony?

posted 4 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

I doubt many people get a half day for 12/30. Given that, I would think the very earliest you could have a wedding is 6 pm, but really, it should be closer to 7 to give guests time to get home and change. I can’t imagine that working with photos after the ceremony.

What about a 1/1/17 wedding? I imagine many people will get 1/2 off as New Years observed.

Post # 4
13684 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Most people don’t even get NYE off, so I highly doubt they’d get a half day for the 30th. 

Honestly, Fridays are inconvenient, BUT a lot of people take the entire week off between Christmas and New Year’s anyway.  You may have people who can’t attend because they’re traveling for the holidays, or have longstanding plans, or for whatever reason.  But you can’t please everyone.  If you want to ensure that your brother can be there, then pick the 30th.  People will work around it or they won’t — their actions are out of your control.

FWIW, I’d generally decline a Friday wedding, but because it’s on the 30th, it may actually be doable for me (use or lose vacation time, easy to take time off that week, etc).

Post # 5
2507 posts
Sugar bee

Most people do not have off 12/30 or 12/31 – New Year’s Eve is not a holiday. That siad, many people take off/are willing to take off because it’s the week between Christmas and New Year, so most businesses don’t have a lot going on at work anyway that week. So 12/30 isn’t a terrible idea – and I think you could do a standard 4pm ceremony.

Another possibility is 1/2. Most people DO have off for 1/1, New Year Day – this IS a federal holiday, and so people get off for it. Since 1/1 is a Sunday, then businesses give their employees off on Monday in honor of the holiday. So you could do a 1/2 wedding if you’d like to have an earlier ceremony – it would be a Monday, but it would be similar to having a Sunday wedding. Since it’s after holiday fever, I have a feeling it might be easier to find an unbooked venue.

Post # 6
2076 posts
Buzzing bee

The reason you can’t find a venue for a 12/31 wedding is because that is NYE and that is a huge night for events.  And sorry, but I think a new years day wedding is just a bad idea.  Many people like to go out and party on NYE so I doubt a lot of people will be up to attend a wedding the next day.  At that point everyone is just so damn exhausted from all the holidays and parties and celebrations that attending another one on new years day is just a lot.

So if you stick with your Friday wedding, then I would not have your ceremony start any earlier then 6pm.

Post # 7
9736 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

I’m having a Friday wedding and the ceremony will start at 6:30 (it’s the latest start time our venue would allow). A good friend of mine had a Friday wedding that started at 5:00, Fiance and I both took off half a day at work to be able to make it (it was about a two hour drive from where we live). 

I think the important thing is to make sure the date works for your VIPs. You will never find a date that works for everyone on your guest list. If 12/30/16 is the date that will allow all of those you can’t imagine having your wedding without then go for it! 

The topic ‘12/30 wedding. What time to do the ceremony?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors