(Closed) 1.25 carat or 1.5 carat? PLEASE HELP!

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
382 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

i guess i don’t understand – you already have a ring, but you’re getting a new one? what do you  mean it is getting smaller?

Post # 4
1995 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

You want to upgrade?  Who’s paying for this?  Your or your FI?  I wouldn’t recommend upgrading before you even get married – you have you’re whole life to get a bigger diamond, why are you so unhappy now?  Did the ring you were given not meet your expectations?  My ring is .5 carat but I’m happy with it since we didn’t go into debt over it!

Post # 5
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s confused!  I think I’d stick with the ring I had for now.  My Fiance would be offended if I was trying to replace the ring he worked so hard to get me.

Post # 6
2788 posts
Sugar bee

Leaving aside the upgrade issue (it is a personal choice I guess, I know my Fiance would want me to love my e-ring)…here are my two cents:

I never heard of a Flanders cut before, but after doing some brief internet searching it seems like a better bet, if you like the cut of it, would be to go with a radiant. First, the 1.25 or 1.5 will look smaller as a Flanders because of the dimensions of the stone (ie the way it is cut). Also, I don’t know where you live, but it seems like that cut is very difficult to find and that since it is a ‘proprietary’ diamond cut, a lot of the price will be for the name tag, as opposed to the diamon itself.

Secondly, a round brilliant is the most popular diamond cut sold, it is classic and elegant and beautiful.

Good luck either way!

Post # 7
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

My only inquiry about upgrading so soon is what makes you so sure the 1.25 or 1.5 will soon be “small” in your eyes?

If size is an issue, go with the 1.5 if you can afford to and your Fiance is 100% supportive. But tread cautiously, the fact that you’re upgrading so soon after getting engaged b/c you’re concerned with the size could come across as ungrateful to your Fiance. He likely picked out what he did for many reasons, affordability being one of them

You could always add more bling to your ring with wedding bands. My center stone is the same width as my band and while i personally feel a larger center stone would look better, i would feel weird asking for a bigger one so early in our marriage. But once i added two sparkly wedding bands, it balances out the look of the ring better and now it doesn’t bother me at all. Unfortunately sometimes aesthetics go hand in hand with size, and i KNOW my husband wouldn’t have seen the aesthetic aspect i was talking about, he would have heard “i want it bigger” and been upset. Going with such a costly upgrade is something you’ll have to handle very tactfully and carefully. Something that perhaps could be left for a 10 year anniversary. Especially if you want a down payment for a home or anything else any time soon.

But i do think that if something big+sparkly will make you happy, you can add to your existing engagement ring to get the affect without hurting your Fiance. Anyways i think you have options if you’re interested

Post # 8
520 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

Dude, I’m confused too.  Yeah, the stone of our erings could always get bigger, but I love mine because it MEANS something, not because of its size, you know?

Post # 9
3363 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I never ever want to upgrade.  My ring is perfect, and I would never want to trade in “the original” diamond that he proposed with. 

But if size is more important to you, I say go with the bigger one, because soon that one may not seem big enough for you.

ETA:  Wow, I sound snarky and I really didn’t mean to.  I guess I just meant that you should be happy with your ring, and if you don’t get the 1.5 then will you end up regretting it?

Post # 10
1051 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I have a perfect square radiant (sorry for iphone quality photo!!) which as mentioned above does look just like the flanders cut (mine is a little over 2 cts).  I get compliments on it all the time.  Rounds & princess are the 2 most popular, and I feel like rads have the best of both – the less common square shape of a prin and the brilliant faceting (with some step cutting) of a round.  I agree with PP that you’ll pay for the name “flanders” rather than just getting a square radiant.  The ratio is harder to come by than the more traditional rectangle, but I still wounldn’t call it hard to find.  Good luck!

Post # 11
1051 posts
Bumble bee

I found a slightly more clear photo (though it also illustrates quite well how infrequently I clean the thing – I swear it’s not at all cloudy in real life!)

Post # 12
860 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I agree with everyone else to make sure this won’t hurt your FI’s feelings or come across as being ungrateful.

Otherwise, obviously get the bigger one if you are worried that it will look small to you.  Whether it looks like “costume jewlery” might depend on where you are in the country.  Larger stones are common in NYC, for example.  I’m in the Balto/DC area and would feel sort of ostentatious wearing something that size on a daily basis… but I’m sure I could get used to it! 🙂 

If you have questions about quality and which cut you should get, I’d refer you to the forums on pricescope.com.  There are many diamond experts there that are more than willing to help, and a ton of stuff you can read on the website to educate yourself.

Post # 13
2788 posts
Sugar bee

@ twalila – I love when you post pics of your ring and wedding band set. They are beautiful!

Post # 14
1051 posts
Bumble bee

@rachelrobin – thanks!!  sadly that’s the only photo of have of the band now since Fiance has hidden it away from me until the wedding=(

Post # 15
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m a bit confused too???? Upgrade?  I would thin this would really hurt your Fiance.  I saw my engagement ring in an atinuqe shop, told my Fiance about it and he bought it months before asking me to marry him.  He went back and forth because he thought I deserved better.  Let me tell you it is the most beautiful engagement/wedding band set I’ve ever seen besides the fact that it’s unique.  It was VERY inexpensive.  The thought that he wasn’t spending a lot of money on the ring is what was bothering him….. I will cherish and wear this ring until the day I die. 

The topic ‘1.25 carat or 1.5 carat? PLEASE HELP!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors