(Closed) 1.25 carat or 1.5 carat? PLEASE HELP!

posted 10 years ago in Rings
Post # 17
1732 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I have a 1.25 round.  Cushion cut will take almost a half carat in appearance off your stone, and princess cuts are the most expensive for the size.

SO are you getting a dummy diamond then?  Like a fake?

Post # 18
1221 posts
Bumble bee

I have a 1 karat colorless diamond but its the 3 princess stones….

I just bought two diamond weddings bands… and it looks HUGE!

Post # 19
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

It’s really an issue of personal taste. Some ppl love the look of bigger rocks and some ppl think that big rocks on small fingers look gaudy. I say go for whatever that makes both you and your Fiance happy.

Post # 20
5920 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Mine is around 1.3 carats total, and I think it looks huge on my hand.  I have small hands too.  Ring size is a 4.

Post # 21
577 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Are you sure it won’t be annoying to have a big rock on your finger at work?  I work in a lab, and no one here has big rings because it sucks to take gloves off and on (they get stuck on the rock).  A lot of women have small diamonds, or wear an eternity ring at work and keep the single stone at home

ETA: If your ring is fitted properly and the stone is set well, there is no reason your ring should be flying off into the trash!

Post # 22
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Yeah… even if you get a fake diamond that doesn’t cost much, aren’t you even more likely to lose it when you rip off your gloves?

Post # 24
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

To help give you an idea of size, here is my 2.03 carat ceneter stone. I am size 4.5. IMO it doesn’t look costumey, but may help you determine if you’d think 1.5 would. Sorry for the bad iPhone pics. Hope this helps!

[attachment=999967,123397] [attachment=999967,123398] [attachment=999967,123399]

Post # 25
13095 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

So I have a question, if you aren’t planning on wearing it to work anymore (ie, no more getting caught on gloves and such), is there a reason you don’t want another real diamond?  And did you not have your first diamond insured so you could replace it when it did go in the body fluid filled trash?

I’d just make sure that you and your Fiance are in complete agreement about this as I know my Fiance worked really hard to save for and pick a ring I would love and cherish forever.  I know he’d be hurt if I wanted a new diamond (particularly right after getting engaged).

Post # 26
1726 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

If you’re going to get a simulant, I wouldn’t go that big. IMO, it’s best to stay around the 1 ct mark or smaller for a sim, for a few reasons — one of them being that you are likely to get compliments on the size of your stone (esp. on a small finger/hand like yours, it will stand out), and then you are stuck either pretending it’s a diamond or awkwardly saying that it isn’t. Or worse, if they point blank ask you if it’s “real” (have to lie or admit it!). Another reason is that the larger you go, the more apparent it will be that it’s not a genuine diamond. I personally think that if you love the look of a larger stone on your finger but can’t afford a diamond, you should just choose a different gemstone. Think about how much that changes things… “WOW what a gorgeous ring!” “Thanks, it’s a sapphire!”… KWIM?

Post # 28
121 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

This doesn’t help much…but my princess cut is exactly 1.25 carats. Color is E.

Post # 29
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Here is my 1.03 Carat F color diamond. I have a size 6 finger and I think it still looks very big

[attachment=1003943,123982]

Post # 30
835 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

hi…im a size four.. mine is a totaly weight of 1.75… my hand is tiny as well….. here is a bad pic cause the … i dont know yall’s lingo yet (sorry for the ya’ll,im southern) FI??? has the cam overseas with him but here ya go:

[attachment=1035517,128642]

Post # 31
5147 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

.25 carats on a diamond that size isn’t going to make a noticable difference.

Have you tried on the other? I thought I wanted at least a 1 ct center stone, but when I tried them on I though they overwhelmed my hand (my ring size is 3.75) so I ended up going with a .6 ct.

And remember, price increases quite steeply once you go over the 1 ct mark. You can sacrifice some things to get a bigger diamond (color, clarity, and cut), but I personally would rather have a stone with excellent “cut” over the other 3-C’s. A well-cut stone is going to have much more sparkle and pizazz. And a well-cut stone will actually look larger than a poorly cut stone because of the way the light hits it.

Here’s my .6 carat (color: G, clarity: SI1, cut: Ideal) center stone on my 3.75 size finger:

[attachment=1035558,128652]

The topic ‘1.25 carat or 1.5 carat? PLEASE HELP!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors