(Closed) 1.25ct vs. 1.50ct

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
195 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I think a lot of it depends on your hand.  I have noticed that my ring looks way bigger on my hand than it does some of my girlfriends.  Have you tried on both sizes?  I mean the reality is, the bigger is bigger, but you might be surprised that a 1.25 could look pretty nice!

Either though are really a nice size.  🙂

Post # 4
1041 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I know that with my ring we could see a difference between a 1.5 and a 1.6 (compared side by side) so im sure you can see a big difference between 1.25 and 1.5 too. But i would try them on like PP said because one might look better on your finger than the other.

Post # 5
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

It really depends on your finger size and the cut of the stone.

Here’s a finger coverage chart for different round brilliant diamond carat weights:

Post # 6
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

it depends on your hand like kiwibee said, but also on how it’s cut. My diamond is a teeny bit bigger than my bff’s (like .1 or .2 carat, nothing really major) but hers looks bigger because it’s cut shallower- like it’s wider with a shorter ‘point’ at the bottom, whereas mine has more of a point. idk i’m sure there are real terms for this stuff lol. But 1.25 and 1.5 are close and a lot of factors go inot how big it will look! Go for sparkle anyway- better to get a little smaller at higher quality, in my op.

Post # 7
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@Seaside: Cut really does make a difference.

I have a 1.53 c cushion cut, but it will look smaller than a princess or round of the same size because the cushion cut is deeper (whereas princess and round “face up” more).

Post # 8
5670 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Are you comparing two stones that are the same in cut, color, and clarity. If so I would go with the larger stone. However if those other factors are different I would ensure that I went with the that was a better overall quality. For me it came down to two stone, 1.56 and 1.8, I could tell the difference in size, but the 1.56 was better quality than the 1.8 so I chose the smaller stone

This might be a helpful website for comparison:

http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Education/CaratWeight/diamonds-weight-size-chart.asp

Post # 9
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@roxy821: Very good call!

There is much more to a diamond than just carat weight. Be sure you are also looking at color, cut and clarity.

Go with the higher quality diamond over all, you’ll end up with more sparkle/brilliance and even if the carat size is slightly smaller, the other c’s will more than make up for it in appearance.

Post # 11
2793 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I have a 1.3 carat cushion and it’s ALWAYS assumed to be a 1.5 (by jewelery stores, friends, etc…) It really all depends on the way it’s set and how small your finger is (and mine’s a size 8!)

Post # 12
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

My moissanite is a 1.25 and there is an actual size of the stone chart on moissaniteco.com website. I didn’t see a difference between the 1.25 and 1.5 and I didn’t want Mr. T to spend more than he had too. I wear a size 9.5-10 and I think the 1.25 Ring Bearer looks perfect for my hand. 

Post # 13
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I think when you’re going with an alternative stone, it’s a good idea to err on the conservative side, just because if it looks big, you could end up being bombarded with questions and having to awkwardly explain/defend what the stone is.

Miss Tat’s ring looks amazing on her, substantial but not showy, and now that I see it’s a 1.25 I would say go with that for you as well.

Post # 14
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

@littlemissmango: I agree. lol For a minute I toyed with the idea of a 2ct moissanite but then I thought, WTF is wrong with me!? We make good money combined but I felt 2ct would be a little showy especially with the sparkle factor with moissanite and even though everyone around us knows it’s a moissanite, strangers do not. I didn’t want people to assume something we are not. I didn’t want to be a target either. Recently around here, a guy followed a woman from a store to her car and mugged her for her ring and car. He freaking knocked her out and stole her ring, bracelet, and car. Maybe it was random, but I would think someone trying to steal a car wants to do it as fast as possible and not take the time to knock someone out and take their ring and bracelet. 

The topic ‘1.25ct vs. 1.50ct’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors