13 Reasons Why

posted 3 years ago in Entertainment
Post # 16
668 posts
Busy bee

Eeeek, been hearing mixed things about this show. Now that I’ve read some PPs comments about how graphic it is I’m going to have to skip it. I don’t see how including details of how a suicide was committed is ever useful.

For the bees that have read the book, did you find it as graphic as the show?

Post # 17
3729 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I read the book and finished the series. I don’t recall the book being nearly as graphic as the series was, but it’s also been years since I’ve read it. I was really disturbed several times while watching it, but it is a powerful series. Definitely not one to watch if you have triggers. 

Post # 18
9718 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

xo_futuremrsbear :  I wouldn’t say the book is graphic (like I said in a PP, I’m like 99% sure it never even says how she committed suicide but it has been awhile since I read it) It deals with very serious issues though and I can absolutly see how they would be triggering for some people. I actually don’t think the show over did it when it came to being graphic – and those episodes do have warnings at the start of them for anyone who might find them triggering to watch. There are parts that are hard/uncomfortable to watch but the story definetly would have lost something without it.

There are quite a few interviews with both the author of the book and everyone involved with the show that discuss why certain things are included and why they made the decisions they made. It might be helpful to you to read them if you are trying to decide if you want to read the book or watch the series.

Post # 19
668 posts
Busy bee

FutureMrsBex :  Thank you for the info, that’s helpful.

hikingbride :  I’ve been slowly reading some of the interviews and do feel it is valuable to include uncomfortable content to help others understand what those types of experiences are like. But when it comes down to it, the producer’s choice to include a graphic suicide scene was in violation of (very important) guidelines set forth by the AFSA. I hope there are no suicides as a result of this series.

Post # 20
60 posts
Worker bee

13 Reasons Why was one of my absolute favourite books as a teenager. I’m about half way through the TV show right now and, so far, I like it for the most part.

I’m just a little bit baffled as to why they’ve added the element of the other students trying to get Clay to give up the tapes. It is clear that if the tapes don’t get passed through everyone, then the second set will get released to the public, which is what they want to avoid. I’m pretty sure they’ve only added this to try and make it more dramatic, which I think is unneccessary. 

Post # 21
4054 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m on episode 4, but really enjoying it so far….my husband and I were actually discussing reading the book too bc we thought it would be great reading for our son once he’s older. Seems like there’s a lot of great messaging about the damage that one flippant comment or action can make. I imagine it’s going to get much darker, but I have been so struck by Clay not understanding why Hannah wasn’t thrilled by the “compliment” of having the best ass….seems so insignificant to him, but look at the chain reaction. 

Post # 22
206 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2016

I liked it! My husband watched the first episode with me and I was sure he wouldn’t like it but he actually enjoyed it too. I’ve had the book on my Kindle for a few years now but I’ve never read it. I kinda want to now just to compare. 

Post # 23
104 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2018

I’m hooked!!

Post # 24
1359 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

saratiara2 :  that part started a huge discussion between my husband and I… he didn’t really get it either and said “why would that be a reason she’d kill herself?!” 

I was trying to explain that’s it’s not a compliment to her and that it started so much unwanted sexual attention and then added to her reputation as “easy” which then lead to so much more (sexual assault). 

Post # 25
9580 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

ilikebees :  yeah, i agree that that element makes no sense.

Post # 26
9580 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

LondonAutumn :  yeah, it turns out women don’t love being objectified… especially by her entire peerage.

Not saying that she’s right to kill herself over it–but she’s right to be upset over it, for sure.

Post # 27
713 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

Post # 28
156 posts
Blushing bee

leilarobs2 :  the lighting helps! I was focusing on the cut as well but Fiance pointed out in the flashback scenes all the colours are brighter because Hannah’s alive, when it’s current day they’re all a lot darker

I skipped the last episode, it seemed a waste to sit through 12 hours to not watch the ending, but one of my closest friends committed suicide and I never found out how (Didn’t want to, so I never asked – it was enough that the note was posted on facebook) and as I got to the 12th episode I realised what was coming next and couldn’t do it.  Fiance watched it and said it was uncomfortable enough for him to watch so I definitely shouldn’t.  IMO it’s an incredibly powerful series, and if it weren’t so long it should be mandatory for high schoolers, people need to be more aware that their actions do have consequences, even just a throwaway comment can lead on to horrendous things

Post # 30
156 posts
Blushing bee

Dr_dazzle :  Thank you, it was ok to watch at the start but then  I registered that they’re obviously not afraid to show rape scenes in such a graphic way so why wouldn’t they show the suicide?

Yeah he told me what happened to everyone, I’d like to see a 2nd season but then you’ve got the fact of the whole book is based on what caused Hannah’s suicide, and to carry on a season would take away the original premise….if that makes sense?

The thing that annoys me a bit is all the characters like Bryce and Courtney, the actors are getting SO much hate on instagram etc and they’re having to defend themselves for playing a character

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors