(Closed) 13.1… any other bees training for or recently run a half marathon.

posted 7 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
2907 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@maybride2bee:I used to but it’s too hot to train right now. I’d love to do another one, though!

My tips:

Find a good training schedule, and pick and PAY FOR a race (that’s what motivates me).

Find a running buddy for at least 1x/week (but save at least one for a solo run).

Wait until you’re happy with your 5k time before starting the 1/2 marathon training(my personal tip because I’m all about the finish time–if you’re not, that’s totally cool).

Which one are you thinking of doing?

Post # 4
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I’m looking at running my first half marathon in November.  I need to start running regularly again.  I’m looking at a few plans and think I’m going to use Hal Higdon’s Half Marathon plan.  I’ve heard great things about it from a number of people.  My main issue is always the lack of motivation to go run so I’m hoping to get my fiance to run with me.

Post # 5
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I haven’t done one, but I’ve considered doing it.  I know the Running Room has a program (in store and online) that I might consider using if I do decide to do it.

My biggest tip for a half marathon (or for any race) is never wear new clothes.  Chaffing is the devil.  I use the same rule for my long runs.  I really hate chaffing.

Post # 5
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Oops…double post.

Post # 7
224 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I did the half in Nashville this past April.  I used Hal Higdon’s training schedule and revised it slightly because I did weight training on Tuesday instead of Monday with a personal trainer and friend.  I loved the schedule and would recommend it to anyone. I was really motivated to train because I ran with my 2 good friends and we used a Google calendar to keep track of our training and as a way to keep track of what each other was doing.  I really want to run another one but right now am having a hard time finding the motivation to run.  The 100 degree weather is definitely not helping!

Post # 8
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I’m definitely not an expert, but here’s what I think… 

I’d say find a race and sign up for it! Make sure you have a training schedule you like (I just found a “beginner” 12-week schedule and loosely followed it each time).  Also – you probably know this – make sure you have shoes that work well for you! I went to a running store right before my first race and got fitted for shoes and it made my runs soooo much better, and my shins/ankles/feet no longer hurt during and after the run. 

For my longer runs, I run with a fuel belt that holds 4 8-oz bottles (I just fill them with water, but I see other people fill one or two with gatorade or something similar) and a pack of gel/gu. I also use this during the race, just in case.  The last race I had didn’t have any type of gel or gu during the race, but the other two I ran had 3-4 stations along the course. 

Post # 9
9 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’ve ran about 10 1/2 marathons and 5 full marathons.  If your goal is just to finish, and you don’t care about your time, I would say, just put in your miles (slowly!) and work your way up.  Definitely follow a training plan, I like the one on Runner’s World (Smart Coach), http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/new_plan.jsp’ defer=’defer.  It builds a plan for you based on your times and how much training you’d like to do.  I’ve followed training plans and I’ve slacked off during training, and I always regret when I haven’t put enough training runs in! 

Find out what works for you and stick with it.  What works for some people, might not always work for you.  Also, listen to your body.  If you’re hurting or sick, sometimes it’s just better to rest.

Good luck!

Post # 10
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I definitely agree with the posts above!  I’ve done one full marathon and about 5 or 6 half marathons, and I just let myself get peer pressured into a half marathon this September.  I don’t care about time, my goal is just to finish and increase my overall fitness…so for me the biggest things are to plan training routes where I can get water if going for a long run (over about 6 miles I need to drink something), make sure I write down my training run on my calendar so I HAVE to make time for it, and make sure all shoes/clothing have been worn on at least one long run.

Post # 11
645 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I ran my first marathon about two years ago, and my first half marathon in April. I recommend just taking it slow and increasing your mileage every week, and give yourself about 2-3 months to train. I am not sure where you live, but there may be a running group you can train with. This is especially helpful for the longer runs.

Post # 12
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’ve run several half-marathons. I never ran more than 5 miles before I started training for my first. I followed Hal Higdon’s novice plan, didn’t skip runs, and I was ready on race day. I swore I’d never run another that day, but then 3 months later I was running my second….and on and on. I second finding a training program and sticking with it. Also, it’s okay to walk sometimes if you need to walk. Slow your pace on your training runs. I personally am not racing anybody but myself, and it’s more about the finish line than the time for me….though of course I have time goals in mind.

I just signed up for my first full marathon yesterday. I’ll be running the Memphis marathon. I start training on Monday and I’m really excited, and really scared.

Good luck! I know you can do it!

Post # 13
829 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I ran my first 10k back at the end of May – with no training, went with a friend who signed up.  I ran the last 4.5 miles and couldn’t walk for a few days!! lol.  I hated running/thought I couldn’t run prior to finishing the 10k, since I did it I got inspired and signed up for the Denver half Oct. 9th.  I’ve been running 2-3 miles several times a week for the past few weeks.  On Saturday I ran for an hour straight/approximately 4.5 – 5 miles and I wasn’t sore!! Woohoo!! I went swimming in the reservoir by our house Saturday (after my run) – the water was high and when I jumped in I hit my knee really hard on a rock.  I ran 2 miles on Tuesday, but my knee hurt 🙁  I’m going to go tonight and see how it feels. 

Post # 14
954 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I just ran an 8 miler this month and I plan on running a half marathon this fall.  I’m using Hal Higdon’s intermediate training program and I really like it.  Wedding planning is already busy and I’ve only made bridesmaid invites so far, so I’m not sweating it if it takes me a few more weeks to get through the plan than it originally said it is supposed to 🙂

The topic ‘13.1… any other bees training for or recently run a half marathon.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors