(Closed) 14 Ct white gold vs platnum?

posted 4 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
Hostess
1477 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

ebjanee:  I would think most 14k white gold is going to contain nickle, but I guess it would all depend on the jeweler for whether or not they use the nickle alloy.  Also, your skin composition will determine whether or not you get allergies.  I personally have a 14 kt white gold ring and I have had no problems so far.  Good luck with your research!

Post # 3
1218 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I have a reaction to nickel. I also didn’t want to deal with rhodium plating my ring as it is usually a send-out service in my state because of strict environmental laws. I use lots of hand sanitizer at workwhich removes rhodium plating quickly. So my ring is platinum. As I’ve started looking at wedding bands I’ve realized that increases the price significantly – one downside.

Post # 4
744 posts
Busy bee

I think platinum is superior because you don’t have to replate it to keep it white. 

Someone I know gets her white gold ring re dipped annually, so you have an annual recurring cost  

In US, the difference in cost for a platinum ring is only about a couple hundred dollars more than white gold. Over the long run its def worth it. 

Post # 5
744 posts
Busy bee

Also platinum is generally regarded as being stronger. 

Post # 6
733 posts
Busy bee

I have both. I prefer the weighty feel of platinum, and it doesn’t have to be plated, so that’s another bonus in my book. It will also never wear thin or lose metal. When it gets dinged or scratched the metal just moves.

White gold is fine, too. It’s lighter on the finger, and stays shiny, but will yellow over time. Replating doesn’t cost much, but you will have to do it every so often for the rest of your life, and that does add up. Plus it’s a hassle.

Either choice is fine, really. You can’t go wrong.

Post # 7
5161 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

I have both, but I actually prefer unplated white gold to plated white gold. You can get palladium alloyed white gold if you are concerned about nickel. It does not need plating. Neither do the super white alloys available. It is a bit of a fallacy all white gold needs plating, it all depends on the alloy. I am a yellow gold girl at heart, but of white metals, I do prefer platinum over rhodium plated white gold. It just has a more appealing look to it on my skin tone and I like the weight. I also like a warmer unplated white gold.

That being said, both are fine forever choices. Both have pros and cons. Platinum will always be the same colour. Platinum, if you don’t like the patina (tiny scratches), needs regular polishing which is no different than needing regular replating. It can bend (especially if a thinner shank). It DOES displace but it also does wear still over time, just at a slower rate. Look at some antique platinum rings for example that have been worn thin. I have had to have a vintage platinum ring re-shanked as over time it wore so thin. Some platinum alloys are softer than others and will ding or bend easier. White gold can be plated or not. A super white alloy, like Stuller X1 (has nickel) or a palladium alloy does not need plating and will not change colour. If it is plated, your chemistry may mean it wears sooner or not, or the plating may be thinner and wear faster. You will then need to plate it as maintenance. Gold scratches and flakes rather than displaces but 14k white gold is hard and very resistant to scratching. It can go a lifetime or more without needing re-shanking.

The topic ‘14 Ct white gold vs platnum?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors