14 Month Old Not Walking

posted 1 year ago in Babies
Post # 16
969 posts
Busy bee

Both my kids walked very early. My youngest could get out of his crib at 7 months. That was a challenge. I could never get in a deep sleep because he couldn’t be contained. 

I think it was because I made them do for themselves. I promote independence so my kids did for themselves at an early age. If you don’t constantly pick them up and move them, they learn quickly that they need to move themselves where they want to be.

Post # 17
2433 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: NJ

Your son is doing just fine, cruising and taking a few steps at 14 months. Is he a first? First babies usually walk later, as they don’t have siblings they want to keep up with.

My one niece struggled to walk starting at 9 months, which I think is too early, as to leg develipment. She just had to keep up with her 3 months older, twin cousins. But today she is just fine so what do I know.

Post # 18
7911 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

weightwatchers152 :  that’s not late, but if you want to offer more encouragement try treats lol. I know it feels like you’re training a dog, but really my friend did that with her 14 month old – we each sat a few steps away from each other and whenever she made it back and forth she’d get 1 little nibble of something. She had walked a little a week earlier and then stopped after she fell really hard so the treats were a good distraction for her to forget that she was doing something scary. 

Post # 19
9172 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

was he an early talker?  i find that you are either a talker or a walker.

my son walked at 13 months.  we held, i mean my husband held a cell phone in front of him and enticed him with it.  i missed his first steps. 

in my son’s birth group (14 babies), one’s first steps at 10 months (although that kid now at 2.5 could now be a professional athlete), we had first steps at 16 months.  everyone in their own time.

now, my daughter is 9 months.  she’s been crawling for a few weeks and hasn’t cruised yet.  my son on the other hand, started crusing around 8 months and didn’t crawl until just about 11 months. we tried really hard to encourage crawling.

Post # 20
734 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I don’t know if you’re familiar with the comedian Michael McIntyre but he does this funny sketch about parents agonising over milestones and he says something along the lines of: “what adult have you seen crawling along to work because they haven’t mastered walking”?! 

Post # 21
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2022

Our 13 month old isn’t walking on her own yet, but she does walk if holding her daddy’s hand or a baby walker. We aren’t too worried, seeing as her older brother (4 years old) didn’t walk till 21 months 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors