(Closed) 14 years on the pill has me concerned…

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I would stay on the pill till your ready to start TTC.  Maybe go off a month or two early and use condoms.

I was worried just as you were and nearly the same age for everything too. It took us 1.5 months to conceive after going off the pill. Not everyone will have the same experience, but since you dont want to risk getting pregnant too early, I would wait to go off it.

Post # 4
952 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I was on it for about 10 years but not for the same reason you were on it. It took us 3 months to conceive. If you are concerned about becoming pregnant before your wedding then I would probably stay on it, unless you can try other methods.

Post # 5
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I was on it for 12 years and got pregnant 3 cycles after stopping.  No problems!  You may want to stop ahead of when you plan to TTC in case you need some help figuring out your irregular cycles.  

Post # 6
7404 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I was on it 8 years before getting pregnant on the 1st cycle at 34 years old.  I think it completely depends on the person.

Post # 7
1105 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I was on the pill for about 9 years and had the same concerns as you, we’re now using condoms and will be until we TTC in 2 years time. Just to get a regular cycle happening – just in case. 

Post # 8
1278 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

I was in the SAME boat as you so I can relate to the feelings. I too have been on the bc for 13 straight years. We want to TTC this summer after the honeymoon, but I wanted it out of my system for 3 months before then. So, I stopped the day after the wedding, April 1st. I do NOT want to get preg before the honeymoon and risk being sick and unable to do all the fun activities we planned, so we are just being VERY careful. Some people say stay on it until you want to TTC, others say be off for 6 months or so. My Dr. said stay on until I am realy to TTC but I went with my gut feeling.

Post # 9
2281 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@ChelseaBells:  Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I agree with PPs – don’t stop birth control until after your wedding if you don’t want to be a pregnant bride. It sounds like you have a year between wedding and actually TTC, so I would recommend stopping BCPs 4-6 months (or as early as you would be comfortable getting KU’d if there was a slip up) before you plan to TTC and charting to get an idea of your cycles. I waited to come off BCPs and start charting until the month we wanted to TTC and I wish I had stopped BCPs sooner. I’ve been having very irregular cycles with short luteal phases, and think we may have been successful already if I had known what to expect and had started treatment for my short luteal phase earlier. Instead, I’m on month 4 of TTC and am just now seeing some improvement in my cycle. Good luck to you!  

Post # 10
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I was on it for about 10 years. I talked to my doc about it. One of the most important things she told me as to finish my pack. The worst thing you could do is stop your pills mid cycle and TTC. Unfortunately for me I was taking the pills that you are on for 3 months and then have a period so I had to wait a second before TTC. But we got pregant RIGHT after I stopped taking my pills. Every one’s body is different. My biggest piece of advice would be to talk to your doctor.

Post # 11
70 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m getting married in may and came off mine this month. I too went on the pill because of irregular cycles. So far I have had a cycle on my own that to me is a big deal since I stopped having them when I was 13. I am also 28 Im super worried I won’t be able to consive.

Post # 12
2657 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Im glad I read this. I plan on being on bc until we are ready to ttc. And that might be years!! Thanks for the info.

Post # 13
4355 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I had been on the pill over 10 years, I made sure to get off about 4-5 months before I wanted to TTC to give my body the chance to adjust. When we were finally TTC, we got pregnant the first cycle.

I did chart to get a better idea of how my body was adjusting, and it took the whole 4-5 months to do so. My first “normal” looking cycle was the month we got pregnant.

We were a little more lax on the “what if we get pregnant before the wedding” situation so this worked for us. Because I was charting, we just avoided my fertile window and had no scares prior to the wedding. If you want to be ultra sure, stay on the pill it might just take a few months to get a regulated cycle.

Post # 14
966 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I was on the pill from when I was 15 to 32. One year before we were going to TTC, I stopped them and had a copper IUD put in. My periods were completely regular right from the first month after stopping the pills. When we were ready to TTC, I had my IUD removed and got pregnant on our second cycle.

Post # 15
6349 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2014

@ChelseaBells:  It can take a while for fertility to return to normal, so some women like to come off it before actually starting to TTC; if you did decide to come off it, there are several other forms of contraception you can use which will not affect fertility, including condoms (obviously), the copper IUD, the Mirena IUS, and the mini-pill (progestogen-only pill).

Because your cycles were irregular pre-pill, I would be inclined to come off it before TTC to a) make sure your fertility is back to normal before TTC b) allow your cycles to return to normal and c) allow you to seek medical advice if your cycles are still irregular, as this could indicate an underlying issue.

Hope This Helps

Post # 16
514 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I was worried too after 14 years on the pill. I stopped three months ago and started charting which showed ovulation in the first month. We are getting married in 3 weeks and were planning to TTC straight away. Now we have been careful and used condoms every time but one split right around ovulation time and now waiting to find out if I’m pregnant. As I wanted to really enjoy the honeymoon I am hoping I’m not this month! In retrospect, I’d have stayed on the pill until we were married.

The topic ‘14 years on the pill has me concerned…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors