(Closed) $14,000 for catering……..help?please?

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
2379 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

shit! that seems VERY expensive!!! we paid $5000 all up for 70 guests to eat dinner (huge meal – buffet – was delicious!!) with desert as well and 74 bottles of wine as well as $10 conkage per bottle and a bar tab for beer. $14000 is EXTREME to me!!!

Post # 4
2250 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Good god! For 100 people, that sounds (more than) a little outrageous!! Are you able to look for outside caterers yourself, or are you bound to work with the ones she suggests? I, personally, would be trying to look elsewhere…

Post # 5
169 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

Depends what type of food and if the “some alcohol” is a beverage package ie beer and wine for 5 hours. That’s still on the higher end.

Post # 6
1850 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Jesus christ. No. That sounds like swanky Philly venues.

Post # 8
748 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@MUAbride2be:  I dunno. Our food/service/bar is running us 23k for 150 people. I live in CT but I’m getting married in Strubridge.

Post # 9
6215 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - The Liberty House

$140 pp isn’t a terrible deal in NJ

Post # 10
1755 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@MUAbride2be:  Unless you live in NYC, that’s awfully high.  I’d get other quotes.  Also, if the estimate includes alcohol, check to see if you could get a lower price with just beer & wine plus non-alcoholic drinks or if they offer a bar that doesn’t have top shelf liquor, that brings down prices.

Also, you mentioned that rentals are included.  If it’s just basic linens, then it wouldn’t account for much of the price.  But if your rentals include tables and premium linens, that would contribute to the price at least a little.

Post # 11
2952 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 1998

What is on the menu?? because this could make a world of difference!

Post # 12
6743 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

I bet you can do better.  I don’t care if they’re serving steak and lobster for dinner.  $140/pp is too much.

Post # 13
206 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Wow! That is very expensive. With all of the things included that you mentioned, I am paying $7000 and I thought that was too much. 

Post # 14
11272 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@MUAbride2be:  it really depends on the menu and the drinks that are included in this price.  $140pp is not outrageous for good catering when it includes everything else too.

Post # 15
197 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I thought it was high until I saw Ct.   Depending on your proximity to NYC, it could be reasonable. 

Post # 16
21 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Wow $14k just for the food?! That is outrageous! I would look at other caterers and speak with your planner to re-negotiate. Our price is $9k for 175 people not including alcohol and I think that is high. Not sure if your wedding site is like ours, but we have a preferred vendor list that is extremely limited. If we don’t use their preferred vendors, then we have to pay a fee to use someone else… basically the site gets “kick backs” regardless which infuriates me every time I think about it but we signed the contract, not much we can do now! Is it possible this is the case with your planner? That because she referred the caterer, her “kick back” is included?

The topic ‘$14,000 for catering……..help?please?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors