(Closed) 15 days in Italy or split between Italy and Greece?

posted 7 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
620 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I would do both Italy and greece if I were you. It will give you a chance to see very different places. I am doing a European honeymoon too and we are visiting 4 countries over 1 month.

Post # 4
295 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I don’t have a suggestion, but just wanted to say I’m super jealous! My sister took a two week honeymoon as well…that sounds so relaxing, no matter where you end up! 🙂

Post # 5
624 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Have you ever been to Italy before? 

We have 14 days after our flights are accounted for.  We have planned 3 nights in Venice, 4 in Florence (day trip to Pisa, and a day in Wine Country), 4 in Sorrento (we plan to see, Naples, Capri, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast) and the last 3 in Rome. We are going in November, so no sitting on the beach for us.

I would suggest you start by looking into the travel time in between cities and how much time you will actually be there for. Try to see if you will have enough time to see everything you want. 

We went to a Travel agent initially who told us to keep it at 4 cities max. Hopefully, it will give us a little time to relax but 2 weeks still doesn’t seem like enough time.

Post # 6
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Both!!!  Santorini and Athens are insane. 

But also take your time in Italy.  Definitely go to Rome, Capri and Pompeii and Sorrento if you can. 

If I recall correctly I had 5 days in Italy, 2 days in Athens and a 3 day cruise through the Greek Islands.  Loved each and every second and so glad I saw both countries.

Post # 7
624 posts
Busy bee

Also, if you aren’t going till next summer, you have a little bit of time to decide.  Airfare is offered 330 prior to travel.

Post # 8
2195 posts
Buzzing bee

Have you been to one or the other before? A few summers ago we went to Italy for 12 days and almost did Greece, too, but since we had never been to either we really wanted to get as much time as we could in one place and really explore.

Post # 9
2135 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

do both! Greece is amazing, and so is Italy. Why not see both while you are over there?

Post # 10
5096 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I vote for both, but I also just want to add that this is a wonderful dilemma to have!!! 😀

Post # 11
360 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I have never been to either, but I vote for going to both and getting the most out of the trip.  I know if it were me I would want to see and experience as much as possible. Either way it sounds like an amazing honeymoon!

Post # 12
204 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

the jealous side of me says go for both, as we are doing the same thing but we’re just staying in italy! we based our decision on the fact that we don’t want to feel “rushed” to see everything while we are there! we want to be as relaxed as possible. i don’t want to feel like i have to get up at 6 a.m. and gogogogogo! i want to be able to say, “oh well, we didn’t make it to the leaning tower of pisa today!” instead of cussing myself out for not getting up early enough to go! but you may be super organized unlike myself, and on that note i say GOOO FOR BOTH OF THEM! 🙂

Post # 13
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: February 2008

Both are lovely. Can’t go wrong with either one. I’ve been living in Italy for the past 5 years and every summer we go to Greece, to a tiny island called Symi. It’s probably the best (kept secret) island of all. Both countries are amazing but if you really want to relax and enjoy the experience, I’d say pick one place. Keep in mind, August is the worst time to travel in Italy, not only is it scorching hot everywhere (air conditioning is not like it is in America), everything is closed and every Italian is vacationing at the seaside, which means way overcrowding.

one spot that is worth checking out that is not crazy crowded like Sardegna would be the islands off of Tuscany called, Arcipelago Toscano, Italy.

One island that is very natural and not too many people is Capraia.

Post # 14
2053 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Think about your prior vacations. If you both like to stay and soak it all in wherever you go, and relax more on the honeymoon, stay in Italy and plan a separate trip to Greece another time. If you’re both the type to be on-the-go and it is more about seeing as much as possible, split the trip.

One special note: If you will be anywhere near Siena, Italy in July or August for your honeymoon, it is a gorgeous city that hosts an annual medieval horse race called The Palio. There is so much pageantry, music and color. It is something that involves the entire city. The city is divided into 17 teams. So much history and amazing that it still takes place. Siena and the Palio race were featured in the latest James Bond movie in the opening sequence.

Here’s a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena

The best part about it is that it is not a reenactment, but rather, the real thing still existing today. The actual race is held twice, July 2nd and August 16, but even if you’re not there for the race still go as the city will be abuzz with this event. If you’re lucky enough to be there when it happens, go! 

Post # 15
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

GO TO SANTORINI! SERIOUSLY. GO.

We just got back from our honeymoon and spent 1 week in Italy and 1 in Greece. I have NEVER seen a more beautiful place than Santorini in my entire life. You will not regret it at all. Italy is almost the same depending on where you go across the country, but I would go back to Santorini in a heartbeat. Here’s some pictures:

this is us literally eating dinner on the edge of a 900 ft. cliff. I can’t tell you how breath taking it was.

Post # 16
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Doing both is completely feasible–you only need one day in Athens and two days in Rome to get a feel for each city. We did Athens & Santorini two years ago for 10 days and 15 days for our honeymoon in Cairo (3 days), then to Italy for Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre, and Rome.

If you decide to only do Italy, I recommend Florence above everywhere else!

The topic ‘15 days in Italy or split between Italy and Greece?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors