(Closed) 15 month old saying the word that rhymes with duck!

posted 5 years ago in Parenting
Post # 2
9544 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

Aw. Sorry, but I had to giggle. At her age, I’d just let it go. In the future, ennunciate fox really well. She isn’t really cursing, so I wouldn’t worry about her saying it, at this point. 

Post # 3
57 posts
Worker bee

I’d let it go too.  A lot of kids mispronounce words in unfortunate ways while they’re still learning to talk.  I think scolding her or telling her it’s a no no word will just confuse her.  She’s not saying a bad word, she’s saying “fox,” she just can’t pronounce it right yet.

I’d just keep reinforcing the correct pronunciation.  So if she starts talking about the “f***” just say something like, “Oh, the FOX?  Yes, the FOX is a nice animal, isn’t it.  We read a book about the FOX.”  Eventually she’ll get it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  midnightradio.
Post # 4
953 posts
Busy bee

Haha. My son said that word for truck. And he LOVED trucks. He would start screaming and pointing f**k! ! When he saw one. I kept correcting until he pronounced it right. 

Post # 5
5154 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

Fall_In_Love22: Haha, hilarious! I would just re-correct her with, “thats a FOX.” I dont think you need to tell her it’s a no-no word because that may just make her say it more! 

When our nephew was little, he used to say the funniest things. Once he said, “DAMN!” when he dropped something and everyone looked at him and his response was, “Sometimes you’ve just gotta say DAMN!”. He also was drinking something hot once (think hot cocoa) and he said, “That is HOT as HELL!”. Hahahaha. So hilarious. 

Post # 7
6040 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2019 - City, State

Fall_In_Love22:  I opened this thread fully expecting to see that she was using it in the right context the way myson did at 2 with the word asshole lol. I would just really annunciate that word next time you’re reading that book. I’m sure she will grow out of it. My son would randomly start repeating asshole while in target, out to dinner, etc. There’s no mistaking that one lol at least you can explain ” she’s saying fox, she just has trouble pronouncing it properly!” I had no defense for my kid saying asshole, other than I have a potty mouth and he picked up a bad habit from me :\

Post # 8
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I’d let it go. Like pp said when she says it just repeat it and over pronounce it.

(When my cousin was little we would ask her to say truck all the time because she mispronounced it. And we would make my other cousin say blueberries because she would say boobies. We were only 8-10 but they eventually pocked up the proper pronunciation of the words.)

Post # 10
560 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

lol… that’s the cute thing about babies. 

Our daughter used to say “Frockodile” instead of “crockodile”. Everytime we would be at a zoo and see a Crocodile our son would say Hey Sydney what that… then giggle. It was so cute. 

Post # 11
1039 posts
Bumble bee

My nephew used to call chocolate cookies chocolate “fuckies”. It’s just a mispronunciation. No biggie. And it’s a great story to tell when they’re older and can appreciate just how hilarious it was.

Post # 12
31 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Country Club

We went through the same phase. MyDD thought it was funny to say it becasue everyone would laugh then she did. But eventually she just grew out of it. Lasted a month or 2.

Post # 13
1 posts
Wannabee

Haha my boyfriend’s 2 year old granddaughter says “bitch! bitch!” while trying to say garbage. I cant help but call it the “gar-bitch” myself now, lol.

The topic ‘15 month old saying the word that rhymes with duck!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors