(Closed) 15 month old will not eat veggies

posted 8 years ago in Parenting
Post # 17
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

My moms rule growing up for us no matter the age of me or my siblings was one bite. 

She would make dinner (nothing special for kids unless it was something that was definately adult only (like fish when we were really small, she would make us chicken or something). We could only eat what was on the table but we had to have at least one bite of each dish. if after the first bite we didnt want it, that was OK, but we had to try. She would make the same ingredient many different ways and we found out that we like veggies cooked differently. My brother ate the broccoli stalks and I ate the little flower buds. Sister would only eat green beans if it had ketchup (ick) etc. 

My littlest sister would have her own plate that looked just like my moms when she was high chair age and she was allowed bites off mom’s plate, but only mom’s plate. Apparently with me I got too used to eating off peopls plates and would eat off company’s plates and my mom found that unacceptable. 

Post # 18
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

When I feel like Addie isn’t getting enough fruits/veggies, I give her a veggie puree pounch.  We buy Happy Tots, Plum Organics, and Peter Rabbit.  Addie thinks it’s a special treat, and I feel better about her veggie intake for the day.  🙂

P.S.  Good to see you around! It’s been a while!

Post # 20
1026 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

At that age a lot of it is texture more then taste sometimes. Figure out what she likes and try to match foods that have a similar texture/consistancy.  You may have better luck with that to start with. 

Post # 21
1854 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My experience with DS is that he would go through food phases; he’d want only fruits for a month, then only veggies another.  He ate french cut green beans out of the can for months straight (no heating, just the can and a fork), and then all of a sudden stopped.  Try not to worry about it unless it continues.  Just keep trying to introduce veggies with each meal.  Cutting the veggies in very small bites and mixing with rice or potato might help.

The dip is definitely fun for them.  DS is particularly fond of guacamole, ranch dressing, and ketchup (not together).  Also, yogurt makes a great dip!  

Veggie chips are always a big hit at our house; just thinly slice your veggie of choice, dust with a little corn meal, and bake (or fry in a little olive oil).  

And lastly, early on, I got a lot of veggies into our baked goods; I would bake carrot zucchini muffins (using apple sauce instead of oil; whole wheat flour instead of white) and DS would get veggies with his breakfast.  I only think it’s hiding if you lie about it.  Just because your veggie is an ingredient in something else doesn’t mean you’re hiding it.

Post # 22
638 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2007

We’ve been lucky Warren has always been a good eater… but he has his moments. I would go back to some purees even once he was eating solids because he liked them. Plus they were easy to mix with stuff. Plain yogurt mixes well with almost anything!

My other trick was to add applesauce. If we had a stir fry and he was eating much I’d mix in about 3T of applesauce and he’d eat everything all up. I mean some of the combos were GROSS but he didn’t care. And it was enough to really ‘hide’ the veggies.

He’s also a big ‘dipper’. ANY kind of sauce and he’ll dip and eat!

Good luck, and don’t fret it. Kids are kids 🙂

Post # 23
2095 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
@hisgoosiegirl: I did that with my eldest son.

My eldest was always a picky eater. I would throw spinach, carrots, peas, broccoli, and any other vegetables I had on hand into the blender then freeze them in small batches. I would throw it in with spaghetti, but you could also do it with alfredo sauce. You can add it to anything with a sauce, even mac and cheese. Trick is to add enough to add a serving of veggies but not too much so that they know it is veggies. Mine wouldn’t eat veggies with dip so I had to be creative.

Feel free to PM me for more ideas. I would also recommend this book. I have not used it personally since it came out after I had me eldest. But I have heard great things about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348

Post # 24
275 posts
Helper bee

I would establish good table habits. That means, she sits in her chair (high chair) has her own plate, fork, spoon etc… She gets the same on her plate as you do. I would keep meal times very low pressure. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. Just make sure you continue offereing a variety of foods at each meal and even if didn’t eat it last time, try it again. Their taste buds change quickly.

Post # 25
2031 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

FWIW, it can take up to 18 times for a child to try a food before they decide that they like it…so don’t give up right away!!  I absolutely 100% agree with the ‘This is for dinner and that’s it’ mentality.  Maybe not when they’re 15 months old, because they don’t understand, but if all they’re offered is healthy foods, they’ll eat it.  I have a 15 month old in my care who is the first one done with her string beans, carrots, celery, etc. (raw AND cooked) because that’s all she’s given usually.  When they’re older, talk about which foods are healthy and which are ‘treats’ and what they do.  ‘Carrots help your eyeballs see better’ is a fun one, they get a kick out of it AND think it’s cool.    

Hiding vegetables in things is a great idea as far as giving them their nutrients especially if they flat out refuse to even TRY something; but it won’t teach them good eating habits.  I hide veggies in foods all the time at work, but I always tell the kids that there is a healthy surprise in there that will help keep them healthy…and they’re always surprised to find out what it is!  I also serve the veggies first, let the child pick at them for a little bit before feeding them the ‘good’ stuff (whatever else you’re eating that you know they’ll eat, like pasta), which usually also has veggies hidden in it, so I know they’re getting what they need to.  We also have the 1 bite rule, and also whatever goes in your mouth goes in your belly.  

The topic ‘15 month old will not eat veggies’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors