15 Reasons Narcissists (and Sociopaths) Lie

posted 1 year ago in Relationships
Post # 2
162 posts
Blushing bee

Amen.

I used to belong to a support group for women who had experienced a very specific form of domestic abuse. Whenever one of us would start to go down the rabbit hole of “why” – why does he do this, why doesn’t he value his family, why doesn’t he care – one of us would respond with “because he isn’t normal”. That’s the piece that is so hard to wrap one’s brain around – narcissists and sociopaths just aren’t normal and our attempts to understand them and relate to them and appeal to them for love and caring the way normal people do will never work, because they aren’t normal.

Post # 4
6303 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2014

sassy411 :  narcs are the worst, IMO. I’m pretty sure my Mother-In-Law has NPD (two different therapists of mine have said it is almost certain she does, and she ticks all the boxes), and she is just an awful person; and one of the worst things was the lying. She constantly lied or gaslighted, even about fairly irrelevant things.

A few examples of her lies:

-*TRIGGER* I confided in her that I had been raped. She told me a detailed story about how she had, too. Next day, flipping through one of her ‘true life story’ magazines, there was the story she told

-She went on and on about how she had made this pie from scratch (she very very rarely cooked but boy did you hear about it when she did!); I found the empty tin of pie filling and the pastry packet in the trash

-She said she went to live with her grandma at the age of 2; she was actually 16

Then of course there was the gaslighting. Gah. These people are awful.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors