(Closed) 1.5 year engagement?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 17
1603 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

We will have been engaged for 2.5 years (… didn’t realize it was that long until I just typed it) by the time of the wedding, and we took our time because we wanted to enjoy being engaged and we wanted to take our time to save for the wedding. I think we’ve probably received a few side-eyes, but otherwise nobody commented, and we’re happy. To each their own! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 18
477 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

My engagement will be almost 20 months long, but we were originally getting married next January (so it would have been 8-9ish months) but we pushed it back a year (we decided to have a big wedding (and my original venue cancelled on me without telling me, long story) rather than the small 20ish person wedding we were planning) most places in downtown Boston book up pretty far in advance!  We pushed it back because all our guests are from out of town and we had to move the wedding in September, so this January was too soon for our guests to plan to travel. 

Post # 19
48 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@SaugaBride:  Our engagement has turned into like a 2.5 year engagement due to military and other things outside of our control so no that does not seem like a long engagement.  Ours was supposed to be only a year and a half but then he got deployed and I didn’t want to rush everything.

Post # 20
1649 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2000

that was how long our engagement was (6 mo of just being happily engaged and not talking about weddings, then set the date a yr later) and it was perfect for us

Post # 21
4823 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@SaugaBride:   14 month engagement in progress here.  We originally wanted 18 months, but between the venue and the photographer, ended up with 14 months.  It’s good.  I need that much time to plan, and I suspect I’m not the only one!  lol

Post # 22
5272 posts
Bee Keeper

@SaugaBride:  I was engaged for 1.5 years. I dont see it being so long considering you have to have time to save money AND book a venue. Most venues you cant even get less than year out from the date you want. People are just rude so who cares what they say..dont listen to them!!

Post # 23
168 posts
Blushing bee

By the time I get married I’ll have been engaged for three years and four months. Probably a bit longer than the usual timeframe but no one’s batted an eyelid at the length, and if they did, who cares? Certainly not me. It’s your wedding, have it when you want ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 24
Hostess
8575 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

We got engaged Dec of 2012, and planned the wedding for October 31 2014.

It is LONG, just be careful not to bore/over saturate everyone with your wedding since it’s so far away.

Once it gets closer more people should be interested.

Post # 25
1723 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@SaugaBride:  We are having a long engagement too.  And people reacted the same way.  You would think you were telling people we were gonna stay engaged for 10 more years.  When it comes down to it, having a long engagement has worked in our favor multiple ways.  We booked our venue last year…if we hadn’t and booked it this year, it would have cost as upwards of $3k more…like you, we want to save and be able to afford the wedding without ending up in crazy debt, and I wanted to enjoy planning things and not being stressed and rushed.  I still have a little more than 5 months to go and the only thing really left is figuring out setup of decorations/candy bar/seating charts…but all the big things are done taken care of. the less to stress about, the better for me ๐Ÿ™‚ Of course now, people can’t believe how fast May is coming up.  So there to those people ๐Ÿ˜› LOL

Post # 26
1150 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

@SaugaBride:  Our engagement will be around 18 months – I haven’t had any rude comments, just a few along the lines of ‘oh thats aaaages away’ which does bug me a bit.. I mean hello, I know how far away it is! We’ve booked the venue and I’ve started looking at dresses but that’s about it for now.

I must admit i’m already getting pretty impatient.. But I did choose the date for a reason! And lots of girls I know who had 18 month engagements said the time flew! 474 days to go.. not that i’m counting! Don’t worry, there are a lot of couples out there who are engaged for a little longer, there’s no right or wrong, just whatever suits you!

Post # 27
581 posts
Busy bee

Pfft. I think 1.5 years is perfectly fine. (So is a year, so is 6 months or whatever works for you as a couple).

People are always going to find SOMETHING to complain about.

A friend of mine had a rather short engagement and was constantly fielding questions about whether or not she was pregnant (she was not). It’s always something.

Post # 28
519 posts
Busy bee

We are doing a 1.5 engagement. Mainly because we got engaged in Feb, and with my career its easier for me to get time off during the summer for our honeymoon. So the first thing we decided was when we would like to get married (we narrowed it down to two months. We also felt we needed more than a few months to save the money, and plan the wedding. 

I think 1.5 is great timing wise. We had four whole months of just being happily engaged without having to worry/research wedding information.

Post # 29
1128 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@SaugaBride:  I am having a 17 months engagement. People will say “but it is so far awaaaay”. Ugh, I am 6 months to go now, SO FAST.

Post # 30
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Our engagement was three and a half years, because we got engaged with the idea of a loooooong engagement (5+ years) but changed our minds and made a wedding date three years in.

everyones different. I think that you need time to enjoy being engaged and celebrating that as much as you need time to be newlyweds.

Post # 31
2807 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

our engagement will be 29 months long. we got engaged in may 2012, and our wedding will be in october 2014. people have given me the same “why the heck are you waiting so long?!” comments. but we sort of got engaged really early on in our relationship. so our long engagement makes sense to us.

The topic ‘1.5 year engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors