(Closed) 1.5 year engagement?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 32
906 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

1.5 years doesn’t sound unusually long to me. Most of my friends were engaged for over a year, some of them were engaged for several years, and one or two were engaged for under a year. Me? We’ll be just beyond 1.5 years of engagement. If it works for you, just go for it. Smile, thank people for their (unwelcome) opinion, and move on. 

Post # 33
311 posts
Helper bee

Honestly I find it stranger when people are set on super short engagements (especially if they’re paying for most or all of their weddings without help from parents/ family).  We’ve had several friends get engaged and immediately announce they want to get married in a short period of time and then they usually seem to freak out when they realize the details involved AND the large amount of VIPS who are already booked with other weddings/ trips/ commitments ect.  1.5 sounds just right! 

Post # 34
6524 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@SaugaBride:  i really cant stand when people say that. Its like shut up and mind your business. 1.5 is not long ….we did a 22 month engagement bc we needed to save money to move out andd save money for a wedding. Everyone has a different situation. And dont mind what other people are saying.  Itd none of their friggin concern. And if you feel you need to explain yourself (which you shoukdnt bc you dont owe anyone an explanation) simply tell them that you want to take your time planning to make sure everything is perfect on your day.

Post # 35
594 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I don’t think 1.5 years is long at all. Fiance and I will be engaged 14 months when we get married, and that is the fastest of anybody I know. Wedding planning takes time, and if you really are starting from scratch (i.e. did no prior research before getting engaged/starting planning), it can be a lot better to have a longer engagement. People don’t know what the heck they are talking about if they think 1.5 is too long. 

Post # 36
329 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

We had an 18 month engagement and I was glad for it. We were able to save money, pay things off in steps, and avoid debt, plus we got first-choice vendors because nothing was booked that far in advance.

People gave us weird looks because the average engagement for our friends is like 6 months, but they’re all still paying off their weddings, while we’re planning a trip to Thailand.

Post # 37
254 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

My engagement will be 1 yr 9 months. Average for my area is about 2 yrs with most ppl i know either having a quick 1 yr engagement or a long 3 yr engagement

Post # 38
1284 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I’ve never understood why people are so quick to put on their judgment pants about lengthier engagements!  Mine is 2.5 years and the number of times I’ve had people say “if you’re so sure why are you waiting so long …” and make snide comments about how I must want something extravagant if we need to save that long.  I don’t get why people have to be so rude.  People can suck on my left nut as far as I’m concerned.

Post # 39
Hostess
7556 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

Those other people probably don’t realize how much planning goes into weddings! I wouldn’t worry about it. If you do feel the need to justify your decision (which you don’t need to) maybe mention that everywhere was already booked for next summer. 

Post # 40
9 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Ours is a 14 month engagement and it is flying by. Nothing wrong with having a longer engagement. I would feel very stressed if I had to figure everything out in 6 months or something. 

Post # 41
141 posts
Blushing bee

It is considered a long engagement, but not like a super long engagement. My Fiance proposed in January of last year, but I knew I wanted a summer wedding. 6 months is just not enough time to plan everything, so I pushed it back until this coming summer. It is going by so much faster than I thought it would! Only 7 months away at this point! I have also gotten a few strange looks, but once I explain my reasoning, they understand and move on. Don’t let people get you down. Do what is right for you!

Post # 42
292 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@SaugaBride:  My wedding is a little more than 2 years after we got engaged, we are paying for it on our own so it gives us plenty of time to save. Apparently anything more than 1 year is considered a “long” engagement. Like you though they all were either paying for the entire wedding or at least paying for some of it. Personally I don’t think I could pull of planning a wedding in that short amount of time. 

Post # 43
1866 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

By the time our wedding rolls around, it will be 1 year and 4 months being engaged. All I can say is, who gives a rats behind what others think. I had some eyebrows raised when I told them we weren’t setting a date right away. Oh well. 

Post # 44
799 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I have a two year engagement and I dont give a f**k what people think about it. I had my pick of all my vendors. I had time to sit around and ruminate about what I want. I had six months to just be engaged and enjoy that. Oh and I have a little thing called the BAR EXAM that is a tad more important than centerpieces. I wouldnt change a damn thing!!!!

Post # 45
254 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I recently went to a wedding that was planned in about 6 months, and it was clearly planned in about 6 months as in it wasn’t all that spectacular imo…and a lot of ppl just left early cause they were bored and/or hungry. the venue was kinda sketchville too. I’m sure not all 6 month weddings are bad but in my area the best vendors are booked one to two yrs in advance

Post # 46
9760 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

I would say 18 months is average! Not long at all! But then again I may be having a 4-5 year engagement so what is average to me may be really long to others! And it is your wedding, you are having the perfect length engagement for YOU!

The topic ‘1.5 year engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors